Report: Dieting 'safe for pregnant women'

Options
From the BBC News website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18101423

"Dieting in pregnancy is safe for women and does not carry risks for the baby, a review of research has suggested.

The British Medical Journal analysis looked at the findings from 44 previous studies involving more than 7,000 women."

Full BMJ report here:

http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e2088

"Effects of interventions in pregnancy on maternal weight and obstetric outcomes: meta-analysis of randomised evidence"

Replies

• kateguy1981
    kateguy1981 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have never been more hungry as when I was pregnant I think its one time in your life you can forget the diet lol as long as your healthy. My husband is 6' 4" and athletic I am 5' 5" (at a push) and both my girls were 9lb plus I definatly needed the calories lol x
  • nigel061
    nigel061 Posts: 109
    Options
    This is only if you need to lose weight during pregnancy of course...

"Half the UK population are either overweight or obese and the rates are rising.

And in Europe and the US, between 20% and 40% of women gain more than the recommended weight during pregnancy.

High weights are linked to complications such as pre-eclampsia, diabetes and high blood pressure as well as early delivery."
  • kristineevans
    kristineevans Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think dieting during pregnancy , as long as it's recommended by gp, is going to carry less risk than being obese , weight gain is inevitable to a point but the more you put on the more you have to loose after ! That said it didn't stop me gaining 4 stone!
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I was overweight before I got pregnant with both my girls due to PCOS being undiagnosed for over ten years.
    I didn't diet, just careful about what I ate, I knew that it would not be good for me to gain lots so my target based on extensive research was not more than 1 Stone (14lb).
    I gained 9lb with first and 7lb with second all of which I lost before they were six months old. Birth weights were 7lb & 8lb 4oz.

This report could lead to silly people doing silly things as they never look into the details. Nearly as bad as a few years ago in uk there was an increase in teenagers smoking during pregnancy as they heard the myth it would mean they would have a smaller baby so easier to deliver! Never mind all the other problems that comes with it.
  • saraichka
    saraichka Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I WISH I'd "dieted" or even just eaten sensibly when I was pregnant. I wouldn't be where I am now, 5 1/2 years later! Instead I ate whatever the hell I wanted whenever I wanted (like I did before I was pregnant--I was young and had dance classes a few times a week and never had to watch what I ate in regards to my weight). Then I was sadly surprised when I didn't give birth to a 75 lb baby...

Next go round I full intend to keep my diet in check during pregnancy and not gain one unnecessary pound!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I was overweight before I got pregnant with both my girls due to PCOS being undiagnosed for over ten years.
    I didn't diet, just careful about what I ate, I knew that it would not be good for me to gain lots so my target based on extensive research was not more than 1 Stone (14lb).
    I gained 9lb with first and 7lb with second all of which I lost before they were six months old. Birth weights were 7lb & 8lb 4oz.

This report could lead to silly people doing silly things as they never look into the details. Nearly as bad as a few years ago in uk there was an increase in teenagers smoking during pregnancy as they heard the myth it would mean they would have a smaller baby so easier to deliver! Never mind all the other problems that comes with it.

Omg when my sister was in high school she had friends who were pregnant and they all smoked thinking it would make it easier to deliver. Idiots.