Is stress/depression causing me to stay fat????

Options
I can not lose weight no matter how well I do eat or don't eat or however many times a week I work out.... My DR says to just keep doing what I am doing and put me on antidepressants which I have not started yet but I am just so upset and frustrated ughhhhhhhhhhh

Replies

• BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    It can yes..
  • Dstarr1515
    Dstarr1515 Posts: 24
    Options
    Yes stress and depression cause people to get fat. When my ex left me I was so sad and depressed I gained alot of weight
  • mtraver88
    mtraver88 Posts: 78
    Options
    It's a definite possibility. Did your doc check your thyroid too?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    only if it makes you eat at a caloric surplus. thyroid is a different issue though and hopefully, before your doctor start5ed with the pill therapy, he checked your t levels
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    No, its just an excuse to eat. Ive been depressed plenty and I weight 174 lbs (6'2) Find other ways to keep your depressed mind occupied.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It's a definite possibility. Did your doc check your thyroid too?

I originally thought it was my thyroid to cause of not being able to lose no matter how hard I work and my hair falling out like crazy but every time he does blood work my thyroid is perfect soooo they ruled that out then checked hormone levels etc....
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    No, its just an excuse to eat. Ive been depressed plenty and I weight 174 lbs (6'2) Find other ways to keep your depressed mind occupied.

but I don't eat that much ever really. so no idea where it is coming from
  • Irenethirteen
    Irenethirteen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    But your ticker says that you have lost weight, which is excellent and means that you have done something right somewhere.

:happy:

Could it be that you need to try and boost your metabolic rate a bit?
    How much activity do you do during a normal day?

I find if I keep my body active, it keeps my mind active, and helps a lot with any negative thoughts with the added bonus of my body is moving too.

I find its when I have less active days, or weeks even, when in front of the PC working all day that my health and weight suffer, and also my frame of mind.

I think sometimes its recognising simple stuff like this that adjusts weight loss.

Hope that helps :happy:
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have lost throughout a period of quite bad depression, bad news for you im afraid.

There is no illness physical or mental that will stop you from losing weight if you eat less than you burn, that goes for thyroid, depression, everything you can think of.

Simple physics demands that it takes energy to live, that energy comes from food or fat stores if the stores arnt being used up then the energy is coming from the food you eat.

Sure illness and depression can make losing weight a slow process but it can never stop it.
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    From what I've read stress can cause your body to hold onto weight; I have been advised to cut caffiene, take a vitamin b supplement, keep processed food and sugar low too as they also increase stress in the body, and to exercise but swap one work out for yoga. I guess only you honestly know if you are really sticking to your diet- but I know from experience that low mood can be a big barrier to motivation. Maybe it's worth trying to work on the depression first and the the weight when you feel more able to? There is also info on the mind website about food and mood which tells you some info about how what we eat impacts on our minds.
    Best wishes
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Mood has a lot to do with the chemicals in your body. If your body is low on some of the ones that help with positive feelings and motivation it could also be low at producing those that help your body digest and work at ideal levels.

Moving really helps the body with a lot of these chemical issues, though Im certainly not a doctor or anywhere near it. You might try a new exercise routine because our bodies can become efficient at what we do and burn less calories doing it. At some point your body is an old pro at walking 5 miles and no longer burns nearly as many calories doing it. Keep your body guessing and doing multiple forms of exercise.
  • ryliejaiden
    ryliejaiden Posts: 68
    Options
    Stress hormones can cause you to store excess fat, that may not be your problem though.
    Try to find 10 minutes everyday to just relax, meditate, play a game, whatever will refresh your mind for a little while.
    Try to eat clean, and limit the amount of toxins and chemicals in your body (there are a lot of ways to do this such as, don't eat processed foods or foods with lots of preservatives, try using organic lotion and make up, etc.).
    Keep eating healthy and exercising and you will most likely eventually lose weight and feel less stress and depression. Just keep going! You can do it.