Are Eggs bad or Good

Options
Holy smokes, I had eggs for breakfast this morning, and it blew my colesteral out the door. Are eggs good or bad for u?

Replies

• suzannehusted
    suzannehusted Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes, I had eggs for breakfast this morning, and it blew my colesteral out the door. Are eggs good or bad for u?
  • Bashiemn
    Bashiemn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In what I have learned, you should not have more than 3 eggs a week - or egg YOLKS that is. That is where the fat/cholesterol is.

Obviously how you cook them matters too (frying in oil for instance - not so good).

If you mix 1 egg with a couple of egg whites, you can have a satisfying meal with a lot less calories and fat.

Also, if you are up for it -try Egg Beaters for scrambled eggs and in recipes. It's more expensive, but much lighter and fat free.
  • suzannehusted
    suzannehusted Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i think the egg beaters are the way to go..thanks for the hints..
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If I am in the mood for eggs - I tend to opt for egg whites only (see calorie break down below). I can make a satisfying LARGE omlette from egg whites, vegetables, and using a little bit of olive oil - healthy and filling! I've never been able to eat egg yolks (shudder - consistency of the yolk makes me gag) - only if they are scrambled into the egg, so I figured why eat them at all? Egg whites are high in protein, low in fat - what more can you ask for?

(From http://www.dietbites.com/eggcalories.html)

Based on one large egg:

Egg White 17 calories

Egg Yolk 59 calories

Fried Egg 92 calories

Hard-Boiled Egg 76 calories

Poached Egg 76 calories

Scrambled Egg 100 calories (includes addition of milk in recipe)
  • mdup777
    mdup777 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that tip. I've been eating way too many eggs. Probably 6 a week. I'll mix one egg with two egg whites instead and I'll get my share of protein. Thanks!
  • beckyinNM
    Options
    Research indicates the biggest problem with peoples' cholesterol in general, is an imbalance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. Fish and green plants have lots of Omega 3 (good), corn has lots of Omega 6 (good, but only in small amounts). People should aim for a ratio of about 3:1, but the average person is actuall 20:1! That's because we eat so much corn...and eat cows that have eaten so much corn...and chicken...and eggs. What the animal eats, you eat too :).

If you really like eggs and want to keep eating them...try finding grassfed chickens from somewhere. I have a friend who raises chickens and keeps them in her backyard. They eat grass, bugs and the occasional vegetarian food scraps. "Vegetarian-fed" from the store won't cut it. You don't know if that feed is corn-based. We pay $3/dozen and eat a dozen every week and a half. We also eat only grassfed beef (buy in bulk from a ranch in TX and freeze) and avoid processed foods when possible (corn starch, high fructose corn syrup, etc.). Maybe cutting out the corn in all it's sneaky forms would help your cholesterol.

That's my two cents...
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Eggs are VERY good for you, including the yolk, and especially if you are on a diet.....

this article explains all of the health benefits including why it is better to use whole eggs instead of egg beaters:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Eggs are VERY good for you, including the yolk, and especially if you are on a diet.....

this article explains all of the health benefits including why it is better to use whole eggs instead of egg beaters:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92

Indeed! Eggs don't just magically clog your arteries or cause hypertension. There have to many mayn other factors present for dietary cholesterol to negatively affect cholesterol levels and/or increase LDL cholesterol (which eggs don't do).

I promise...I eat 6-12 eggs a week, and my cholesterol is normal and BP never higher than 102/70 :wink: If you're really concerned, visit your GP and ask for a blood screening, they can test your cholesterol/lipid/glucose levels there.
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I agree that eggs are good, cheap protien! Plus they are very versitile. That being said, I do usually make mine with 1 egg plus 2 whites, just for the calorie savings. The additional whites bulk up the meal for only 30 cals or so.