How should I eat before running the Warrior Dash.

Options
I'm running the warrior dash Saturday morning. Just wondering how I should eat the day before and what I should eat for breakfast before. Right now I'm on a deficit like most people on here trying to lose weight, so I'm wondering if I will have the energy needed to do this event. I don't want to pass out.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Do you usually eat before running? The usual advice I've read about eating before races is not to try anything new on race day.

I don't know how long the Warrior Dash is, but I'm guessing it's pretty intense. For me, that would mean that I'd need something to eat before I race. As for the day before - eat something that fills you up but isn't likely to cause any stomach issues the next day. It may not be the best time to try out a new superhot chilli for example!
  • janessac
    janessac Posts: 77
    Options
    When I used to do track, I'd have a higher-carb dinner the night before (like spaghetti with whole-wheat noodles) and for breakfast I'd have a bowl of oatmeal with banana, honey, and flax seed, and I'd have 1/2 a protein bar about 1 hour before my event.

That gave me a lot of energy without a sugar high (and consequently a crash), but it was also easy on the stomach. Stay away from anything acidic, full of dairy, spicy, or with lots of fibre or else you might find yourself sprinting for a bathroom instead of for the finish line. And DEFINITELY don't try anything new, if you've never had a protein bar/shake before, do NOT try it before the race, stick to things you know.

*Also start hydrating the day and night before, that way you'll be very hydrated but not sloshing around. Sip water in the morning and before the race but chug it*
  • gatecityradio
    gatecityradio Posts: 401
    Options
    I know this is about to sound bad, but I'm not much of a runner. I mountain bike, and when I do that I usually eat a granola bar about an hour before and I usually have yogurt and cheerios w/soy milk for breakfast. This is totally something new for me, I got talked into it by a bunch of my co-workers who are going. Not all of us are in the best of shape so there will it will probably be more of a jog/walk sort of thing.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Then I'd stick with what you usually eat before biking - race day is not the time for trying new things!