What to drink.....

Options
deadgirl81
deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
Hiya - I just have a quick question about drinks really.

I tend to drink a lot of coffee, rather than soft drinks - but I do still drink water as well.

I have started on green tea, but I really don't like the taste of it :indifferent:

Have read on these boards about people saying that coffee hinders weight loss, does anyone know if this is true?

I've even cut out green (semi-skimmed) milk (apart from when I'm at work or friends/family and have a drink there) and tend to use red (skimmed, fat free) milk with my coffee and tea if I have it.

Could anyone help or give any answers please?

Would be appreciated :happy:

Thanks very much

Replies

• romoli
    romoli Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love coffee too. I live in Italy (I'm canadian) and at first being here was a dream. Then I'd wake up at 3AM my heart beating like a hummingbirds wings. I've got it done to a cup in the morning and a shot of espresso after lunch... just like the italians do it. Anyway, I hadn't thought about cutting it out completely until I saw your post and then read this.

Cheers, good to the last drop!

http://www.ivillage.com/does-coffee-habit-slow-weight-loss/4-n-142436
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I love it - but I don't feel it has any effect on me - it doesnt seem to keep me awake (Can have a strong coffee before bed and still easily fall asleep - although, once or twice I have almost fallen asleep still holding a half drunk cup!)

I have cut down though, I used to have between 5 or 6 cups a day - now I only have 2-3 - still doesnt feel as if its made any difference to me though.

Did read the article, its interesting - so maybe I should try a week without having coffee :smile:
  • romoli
    Options
    When I go without I usually get migraines for the first week.... I haven't stopped for a while but I think I'll give it a rest.... that and my vino!:sad:
  • romoli
    Options
    At least until I reach my goal weight!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think caffeine is often found in weight loss pills - I can't remember the mechanism exactly - boosts your metabolism perhaps?
    Either way, it's not likely to hinder your weight loss. Just make sure you are well hydrated, drinking whatever you like and whatever fits into your calorie count.

Hmmm, that article is interesting - but I wonder if they are talking about coffee (ie the dark coloured stuff made with ground up beans and water) or Starbucks liquid-candy-with-a-hint-of-coffee-flavour?

I still don't think regular coffee with a dash of fatfree milk is going to be a big problem.
  • janey1306
    janey1306 Posts: 83
    Options
    Ive read something on here about coffee hindering weight loss, but it wasnt the caffeine. I cant find it now, but will keep looking. I drink lots, right up to bed time, im losing weight steadily, but still have a big stomach which is what the report was saying. I drink lots of coffee, right up to bed time, I know I should cut down, but its the one thing Id find really hard to go without. Ive tried green tea too, even flavoured ones, its like drinking dirty dishwater! I do have a few fruit teas now though and lots of water. Apparently green tea is an aquired taste, so ill keep trying.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I just drink coffee. Never heard anything about it hindering weightloss. Pretty sure it doesn't affect weightloss at all.
  • alexisj503
    alexisj503 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    cortisol (stress chemical) can hinder weight loss, and coffee can increase cortisol, while green tea contains theanine which counter acts cortisol. Also green tea increases your metabolism while you are working out. I think it only makes a tiny difference, if any in regards to weight loss though. I love green or white tea. Can't drink coffee as it gives me jitters.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a stimulant, so it speeds up your nervous system. This would increase your metabolism if anything, not hinder weight loss!! It also suppresses your appetite, so the positive in this regard outweighs the negative. It is addictive though, so you have to be careful if you don't want to become too attached- getting off it causes migraines etc!!! :(
    It also gives you a boost in energy- maybe it's the boost you need to go for a run?!?!
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    It is an open question whether coffee is good or not - there is a lot of scientific opinion in each direction.

Personally, having read everything and every paper, I believe coffee IS a GREAT thing to drink, particularly for weight loss.

I drink a huge amount of coffee. Each cup has say 100 mg of caffeine, and I probably drink TEN of those a day.

I've lost 70-80 pounds, so that's one piece of data.

(1) I dod believe in the moderate-carb approach (Dr. Lutz) so I can only say that it is a very good thing, if you are on a moderate-carb diet.

(2) I believe it is most helpful in the LATER stages of weight loss, like for me now with 10 or 20 pounds to go. If you are starting out huge (like I was - Alfred Hitchcock!) I actually think it makes almost no difference - it's irrelevant. But definitely not harmful.

It's like using Ephedrin. It's completely useless when you have a lot of fat to lose (20, 30, 40 kg). But for the last 5 or 10 kg, yes.

Indeed, most people who take Ephedrin take it with Caffeine in an EC stack.

Having extensively reviewed all the science available currently, I would say:

there is NO CLEAR EVIDENCE, AT ALL, that coffee is BAD for fat loss.

And there is a lot of evidence and opinion that it is GOOD for fat loss. So go for it.