Morning exercise? HOW do you do it???

Options
jude666
jude666 Posts: 231 Member
I really, really, really want to try and exercise first thing in the mornings but i have a few difficulties with it.

Firstly, I am NOT a morning person. But, this is mainly due to the fact that I don't get home till gone 7pm and by the time i've worked out in the evening, had my dinner, chilled out etc. etc. etc., it's gone midnight before I hit the sack and then the alarm clock goes off at 6am.

I feel so tired all the time and I really need to change how i do things.

Is there anyone out there who was just like me, but managed to change your routine... if so, HOW DID YOU DO IT? Any tips and/or advice you could give me would be appreciated.

Replies

• TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It may be hard to get up in the first place - but once i'm up - you've done the hard work :P

So then I just crack on with my morning run - and feel much better!! It feels like you've done something before your day has even started :D
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either, but like Tiffani said, I just get up! I just make myself get up and have a wash and then just go for a run. I feel fantastic after my morning run. (I've hurt my ankle at the moment, and right now it's making me miserable that I can't go for a morning run)
  • leapylees
    leapylees Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either, but I also know that if I don't exercise first thing, I won't do it at all and then I'll feel guilty/annoyed at myself. It's usually enough of a motivator for me that once the exercise is done, I can get on with my day and I feel good because I've done it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you asking about working out in the morning as well as the evening (you say you get to bed late as you also fit in a workout then)? Working out too much ends up to be counter-productive.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Are you asking about working out in the morning as well as the evening (you say you get to bed late as you also fit in a workout then)? Working out too much ends up to be counter-productive.

I thought this as well - are you working out twice a day? No wonder you can't work up the motivation! I get up earlier to do the 30DS in the morning, but that's partly because I find it easier in the morning, and partly because then I have my evenings free to do whatever I want. I couldn't do two workouts a day, at least not for more than a few days.
  • zerapha
    zerapha Posts: 18
    Options
    Join a morning bootcamp or running club. Never thought I'd get up to exercise, but just finished my first week of morning bootcamp - 6:00-6:45 in the morning! It can be done :) Probably a lot easier when you see others are in pain too! :)
  • bambi_woodward
    Options
    I like to go in the morning. I usually set my alarm for 4am, be at the gym before 5 and then back home around 6 am. It makes the whole day for me. I go with my hubby when he gets off work, which is usually around 5pm. But at that point, I'm tired and make excuses not to go :)
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    you get used to it. the first week of gettin up early is hard but stick at it if u want to workout in mornings...i get up at 5am, walk my dog, go to the gym, then work which is right next door, home, run with dog then bed ahhhhhh! (bed quite early though else i would never get up)...good luck
  • Kazcor
    Kazcor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I simply look at it like this: In the morning no one impinges on my time therefore that is mine to do as I please.
    I too can get in quite late or have to study but i try and hit the sack by 10.30pm. IO get up at 5.15am and am at the gym for 6.30am. I am now trying to get my clothes and pack lunch ready the night before so i can get up at 6.00 and hit the gym at 6.30 or get up at 5.30 still and hit the gym at 6.00!!!

Going in the morning gets it over and done with. It's a great feeling...the best!!!!!

But if I DOOO want a bonus session I can also go later too!!!

Form the 21 day habit: Do something for 21 consecutive days and it becomes a habit!!! (But be careful that goes for both positive and negative 'somethings')
  • chrisdavy239
    chrisdavy239 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I only swim in the mornings - and I do it with a club. I like swimming because it takes away the 'Not going to go out in this weather' excuse, and training with friends keeps me motivated to keep turning up, especially when there's a planned out session there that i just have to get on with.

Basically, if you can take away the thought process, it just becomes a thing you do, rather than some kind of massive challenge.

If you want to run in the mornings, or cycle, or walk or whatever, I'd seriously look for a training partner/group.

I got into the habit back in the day when I was rowing - I simply HAD to get out of bed because you can't put a boat on the water if one guy is missing. The potential for guilt was enough to drag me out, even when I hadn't had a great deal of sleep.

:-)

Chris

ps - Once you're into it, you'll LOVE morning training more than anything else - feels great to get to work knowing you've put a good session in before your day has even really started.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    But, this is mainly due to the fact that I don't get home till gone 7pm and by the time i've worked out in the evening, had my dinner, chilled out etc. etc. etc., it's gone midnight before I hit the sack and then the alarm clock goes off at 6am.
    But if you worked out in the morning you wouldn't be working out in the evening so you could go to bed earlier...

By the way, 7pm is the earliest I ever get home and I can do an hour's workout, shower, eat, do housework and usually some work-work, watch TV and still hit bed by 11.
  • ishkabob
    ishkabob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    just try and make yourself =D

yup, it sucks getting out of bed that early but as others have said, once you're up, thats the hard part done!

i have a friend who i go running with in the mornings and knowing that i have to meet her at 6am and she doesn't have her phone so i can't cancel makes sure i definitely do it! i think she'd kick by butt if i left her standing in the park on her own!! maybe you have someone you could buddy up with to motivate you to do it?

its definitely worth it if you can get in to the habit though - its such a nice feeling knowing that you've done your workout for the day before most people have even made it to the breakfast table! then you have your evening to chill out and you don't have to worry about exercise eating in to it. i never thought i would be a morning exercise person, but i love it =]

good luck, you can totally do it! x
  • iambabygoose
    iambabygoose Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I used to be so lazy until I had my baby! I'd sleep in Til 2pm if i could haha!
    I now get up between 6-7pm and then she has her morning nap about 9 so I get straight into it when she goes down.
    I'm used to it now! It might be hard at first but it's reually easy to change your routine. Grab a berocca when you wake so you get that extra energy boost - keep at it, dont skip a day and it will be second nature to u in no time :)
  • iambabygoose
    iambabygoose Posts: 42 Member
    Options

ps - Once you're into it, you'll LOVE morning training more than anything else - feels great to get to work knowing you've put a good session in before your day has even really started.

Couldn't agree more!
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your feedback. I would like to be able to exercise in the morning so I have my evenings free. That way, i can concentrate on my housework during the week and have my weekends back to myself!

I'm just glad i'm not on my own with finding it hard to get up in the mornings. I thought you were all super-human!! LOL!!! Or, perhaps just morning persons as opposed to a night owl like myself!

Long and short of it, i need to just go for it, try it a few times, definitely get earlier nights to start with and then it'll become second nature to me..... well that's all rather positive! thanks guys!!! You're all fabulous. Keep up the hard work!!!

I CAN DO IT!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I am NOT a morning person. But, this is mainly due to the fact that I don't get home till gone 7pm and by the time i've worked out in the evening, had my dinner, chilled out etc. etc. etc., it's gone midnight before I hit the sack and then the alarm clock goes off at 6am.

This is an excuse. If you want it to happen you'll make it happen.
  • Legals81
    Legals81 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am DEFINITELY NOT a morning person but since Monday of this week I have been getting up at 6.30am to do my 30 Day Shred workout before I got to work. Yes it is hard, but with every day that passes its getting easier. You just have to do it. And it may sound like tough love but sometimes thats what we need to hear. I work long hours in an office, in a stressful job but Im doing it an Im feeling great. Much more energised for the day.
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I work afternoons, 2pm-10pm monday to friday, so it's much easier for me to workout in the mornings. my problem is i have enough trouble getting up at 7am to get my kids off to school. i tried the whole getting up at 6am to get my workout in before the day actually starts but when the alarm goes off my eyeballs feel like they are on fire and i reset the alarm :) so now i just wait till after i drop the kids off to school. what sucks about it is my whole day is consumed ... get up rush with the kids come home tidy up workout and get my meals in order... by the time im done i have to shower and leave for work. im exhausted! I guess what im saying is you need some serious 'want' to get up and go... Goodluck and if you find a way to get your butt outta bed that early please share your tip!
  • cheeky1095
    cheeky1095 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I used to be so lazy until I had my baby! I'd sleep in Til 2pm if i could haha!
    I now get up between 6-7pm and then she has her morning nap about 9 so I get straight into it when she goes down.
    I'm used to it now! It might be hard at first but it's reually easy to change your routine. Grab a berocca when you wake so you get that extra energy boost - keep at it, dont skip a day and it will be second nature to u in no time :)
    Haha this proper made me laugh, it's like reading someone describe me :laugh: I too was like you, stay in bed until way after 12pm. Now I have an 11 month old, we get up at 7 & as soon as she is down for her morning nap I'm working out as I don't know when I will get chance to exercise again that day (if at all) so it's either do it in the morning or risk getting no exercise at all.
    I love it as I feel set up & full of energy for the rest of the day, as opposed to sat on my *kitten* all morning then feeling tired & lathargic in the afternoon because I have done nothing all day. I can honestly say I wouldn't be able to find the energy at night time to do it as by the time my baby is in bed, I'm not long following to get a good nights rest in!