Eating in the evening?

Options
Ok so i'm looking for peoples opinions on this>

Some diets say don't eat after 8pm... other say eat whenever you are hungry, whatever the time of day..

What do you think?

Replies

• misspgreenwood
    Options
    if I didnt eat after 8 then most of the week I wouldnt have dinner! I try not to eat massive amounts after 8 as I am usually heading to bed at 11, but as long as I have two hours clear I dont really see how it makes that much difference.
  • Warley_x
    Warley_x Posts: 62
    Options
    Personally I would say 9pm and if you are going to eat that late it should'nt be anything high in kcals or fat (eg: chocolate, biscuits, cake etc) as it is very difficult for your body to burn these things off as your body is in a slow metabolic state. Unless you work night shifts or something! Since starting my diet I have tried to eat my tea at around 7pm and as long as it's balanced you shouldnt feel hungry after. It helps if you leave kcals for after your tea just in case you do get hungry and then I "bank" them instead :) xx
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I eat upto 30% of my calories around 9pm. Never effected me! X
  • BarefootBrendan
    Options
    The time you eat is irrelevant. Calories in, calories out. Remember, calories are a unit of measure of energy. Timing is just a distraction.
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    Nah, I think that's just a way of getting people who don't log their food to cut down on their eating opportunities. If we're logging we don't need to do that.

I'm usually hungry by bed time, so I eat something right before turning in on most nights.

Of course, if you feel uncomfortable sleeping on a not-empty stomach then it won't work for you.

Me, I wake up hungry in the night if I go to bed hungry. And on weekends I used to get a headache after sleeping for longer - the gap between dinner and breakfast was just too long!
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    My hubby and I would have a bowl of cereal before bed every night while I was losing weight.. And it never affected my weight loss :-) just as long as it's within your calories!
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I rarely get a chance to eat before 8:00 and I'm doing fine. I believe your body will get use to the routine!
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i tell ya if it wernt for the hours of 8 to 10 pm i bet a ton of people here wouldnt be over weight so i wouldnt recoomend eating that late it leads to overeating
  • dannyboy0487
    Options
    Mixed opinions!!!!

I guess it boils down to what time you go to bed, and exactly how many calories you eat?

A bowl of cereal an hour before bed is ok... but saving up all your calories and then eating a pizza 10 minutes before bed... probably not a great idea?
  • BecciJG
    BecciJG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I always hav to eat something before I go to bed, usually about 9pm( Im usually in bed between 10 & 11), otherwise I can't sleep or wake up hungry. It's always a light healthy snack, within my calories. Doesn't seem to affect my progress!
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has much affect on weight loss.
    I think it is more for people who are over eating, as it is easier to binge later in the day.
    ITs probably also meaning after dinner foods.. so they expect you to eat 5/6 in the evening etc. Then you'd over eat in the eveing.
    If it was for the hours 8-10pm I would probably only be getting in 5-700 calories. I also only get home at 6:30pm, I then have to walk the dog for an hour and then cook food. Its generally always past 8pm :)
  • Warley_x
    Warley_x Posts: 62
    Options
    Mixed opinions!!!!

I guess it boils down to what time you go to bed, and exactly how many calories you eat?

A bowl of cereal an hour before bed is ok... but saving up all your calories and then eating a pizza 10 minutes before bed... probably not a great idea?

I think that's exactly right, dependent on the person. If you feel the need to eat before bed then go for something light.

Take a look at this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/9-things-you-should-never-eat-drink-after-9pm.html

xx
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the intermittent fasting and eat most of my calories shortly before going to bed. Most days I dont eat anything till about 5-6 pm. I am amazed at the results. Eating before bed is only an issue if it interupts your sleeping. Your body doesnt treat the food differently because you are lying down with your eyes closed.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My body prefers it if i don't eat right before I go to bed. Always shows on the scale in the morning.. It's not like I needed that handful of goldfish anyway!!! I say, eat your dinner regardless of the time.. and just don't snack late night. Snacking always ruins it for me lol
  • philco41
    philco41 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I usually snack in the evening. I often exercise in the evening, so I get a bit hungry. I try to keep it a couple hours before bedtime, but as long as my morning blood glucose is good, I feel I've done all right. I do keep it healthy and balanced as much as possible.
  • dannyboy0487
    Options
    Mixed opinions!!!!

I think that's exactly right, dependent on the person. If you feel the need to eat before bed then go for something light.

Take a look at this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/9-things-you-should-never-eat-drink-after-9pm.html

xx

Thanks for that, an interesting article!
  • Adnan5224
    Adnan5224 Posts: 14
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelavant as long as you consume your macros (fat, protein, carbs) in a 24 hour period.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat in the evening becuase...well, I'm just not hungry!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    A Brofessor told me if you eat after 9pm you turn into an Ompaloompa.
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you've eaten during the day, when your workout is, and well, your preferences. Some people sleep better on a slightly empty stomach, others (like me) WILL wake up in the middle of the night if they go to bed on the verge of being hungry!

I workout in the evenings, so I need food before bed or I'm gonna be waking up around 3AM thinking about the contents of my fridge. But even without a workout, I save a 100-250calorie space so I can have something later on because I know I always get hungry between 10-11pm.

I think the rule of thumb should be it doesn't matter if you have something, as long as it's still within your calorie goal and not adding some extra every single day! :)
    I mean come on, calories don't know time. Plus, during sleep, your digestion is optimal because your body isn't doing anything else besides breathing.