Fitbit, bodybugg, & other calorie/activity trackers.

Options
So, I have a Polar FT4 that I use when I exercise, but I'd like to get something that tracks calories throughout the day. I've been looking at fitbit and bodybugg, but I just don't understand how they work. Does anyone have any personal use/opinions? Do they just track how much you move? What if you're doing a high intensity workout, but you don't move a lot (cycling, elliptical, etc.)?

Also, has anyone gone from a regular HR monitor to one of these and had better results?

Basically any information would be helpful! Thanks!! :D

Replies

• Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Bump I'd like to know also. :)
  • kellibenage
    kellibenage Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I've been using the BodyMedia Fit armband for a couple month now. I love it. It seems to do a great job of tracking my activity level. I've lost 20lbs so I think it's working pretty good. I would like to hear other opinions as well though...
  • MOMOvation
    MOMOvation Posts: 2
    Options
    I actually had the Ploar Ft7 but switched it out for a Bodybugg. Here is the difference:

Heart Rate Monitor - It can be worn just during exercise or all day. It bases how many calories you burn on your age, height, weight and heart rate.

Fit Bit - It is a pedometer that can be worn at all times. Very easy to conceal.

BodyBugg- It is a pedometer but also uses age, weight, height, sex, body temperature and other scentific methods for calculating what you burn. It is greater than 90% accurate. IT can also be worn all day. Their online program has a monthly subscription (it is free for 6 - 12 months depending on what model you pick). It shows your calories burned, you enter calories consumed and it tells you your deficit. You can create a custom program based on how much you weigh and how much you want to lose. Overall it is used by alot of trainers, Biggest Loser and works really well. I read alot of reviews before ordering mine. The only bad thing is depending on what you wear the arm band could be visible. That is why some prefer the Fit Bit Ultra which can be more easily hidden (worn on bra, pants, etc). But some also say they make the mistake of not taking it off their clothes before washing them. Hope this helps.
  • dclouden
    dclouden Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've had my bodybugg for over a year now, and I love it. It works really well when you use it. My biggest difficulty with it is that the food diary doesn't have as many foods listed as MFP does, so inputting what you eat can be time consuming. For the most part, I use it just to track my activity and then I put that information to MFP for tracking. But it really helps with tracking calories burned doing every day activities, and giving you a sense of how many calories you are burning all day long.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media and I love it. I have lost 14.8 pounds in the past 8 weeks. It is very helpful to see how many calories I burn on a daily basis so I can eat the proper amount. I use MFP to log my food because the database is much more extensive and then I just add the totals to Body Media. I have heard that it isn't as accurate for cycling, but I can't attest to that as I don't cycle. The only downside would be that the armband isn't really conspicuous unless your sleeves are long enough to cover it. Overall, I think it is a great tool to invest in if you have a lot of weight to lose.
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    I just got a fitbit a week or so ago and I love it, it tracks everything, calories, miles, steps. I am now constantly in competition with myself to get more steps each day, walk up more floors, etc etc. Great way to stay motivated!
  • love9705
    love9705 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have both a bodybugg and I recently purchased a fitbit. I love them both but decided to buy the fit bit because it was more discreet plus I didn't want to pay the subscription the bodybugg required. They are both more than just pedometers. Both keep track of your steps and calories burned. The fitbit also calculates steps climbed and it keeps track of your sleep patterns.

My personal opinion I would go with the fitbit its more discreet, a few more features, and linking to MFP is free and is a great help.

Good luck on your purchase.