Looking for Yummy recipes with lots of veggies.

Options
ashkwils
ashkwils Posts: 1
Hi- I've been on mfp for a while now but have never used the message board. Thought I would give it a try to see what people can recommend for recipes with lots of veggies. I'm bored with just eating plain vegetables and would like some inspiration. Thanks in advance!
A

Replies

• hey_paula
    hey_paula Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love veggies roasted... just toss whatever fresh veggies you like with a little olive oil.

Spread them on a baking sheet, season with onion salt, Mrs. Dash, whatever seasonings you like.

Bake them in a preheated oven - 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Take them out, flip them over and put back in until they are roasted and done, 10 more minutes or so.

These are even good leftover, in a sandwich thin with cheese, or on a tossed salad, or with pasta!
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I tried this stuff called Texas Caviar (nothing to do with Fish) it has corn, black eye peas, black beans, all color bell peppers, onion, tomatos, jalapenos (optional) zesty italian dressing serve with tostito scoops. you can find this recipe in all recipes.com its colorful tastey and veggie. :) i'm sure you can doctor it however youd like.
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I tried this stuff called Texas Caviar (nothing to do with Fish) it has corn, black eye peas, black beans, all color bell peppers, onion, tomatos, jalapenos (optional) zesty italian dressing serve with tostito scoops. you can find this recipe in all recipes.com its colorful tastey and veggie. :) i'm sure you can doctor it however youd like.

^^YUMMY right there, I love it too it's great over a salad with chicken!
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

^^YUMMY right there, I love it too it's great over a salad with chicken!
    hmm I shall have to try this on salad. I did sprinkle some on my egg totillas gave them a south western flavor :)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille. Serve with quinoa/cous cous/whatever or bake with polenta on top and serve with salad.

Vegetable fajitas. Mange tout, baby corn, peppers, onions, courgette plus lovely lovely spices. Add salad, salsa and a bit of low fat cheese/sour cream.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Spinach goes wonderfully with poached egg for a veggie addition to breakfast. Ditto for asparagus instead of toast with boiled egg.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Chestnuts are wonderful with brussel sprouts or cabbage for a bit of a different flavour. Chestnuts can really add a lovely new dimension to good veggie stir fries too.
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    a lot of people suggest a veggie lasagne using egg plant or zucchini instead of pasta...
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    What do you consider Plain ol' veggies? I sautee frozen pole beans in a little coconut oil with garlic powder, salt and pepper then add Chili paste and a little low sodium chicken broth and let them steam in that covered for a few minutes then remove the lid and let it reduce. It works with all kind of veggies. I do chipolte zuchinni and tomatoes which are yummy..just get creative !!!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Squash/pumpkin and ricotta cannelloni. Roast the squash with a little olive oil, some garlic and a load pepper. Mix with ricotta and stuff pasta with it. Top with a low fat bechemel or bechemel replacement (I like to use low fat cream cheese or quark loosened with a bit of water).
  • pjkalk
    pjkalk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Had this last night and it was very good! This is for one serving:

Tortellini with veggies

9 fresh cheese tortellini (about 2 oz.)
    frozen broccoli (however much you want)
    sugar snap peas (however much you want)
    asparagus pieces (however much you want)
    Tomato - 1 med chopped
    garlic - 2 cloves minced
    green onion - 2 sliced (white and green part)
    Shredded cheese (parmesan, asiago, whatever kind you like) 1-2 Tbsp
    Olive oil - 1 tbsp
    salt/pepper to taste

Boil tortellini for 5 minutes. Add frozen and fresh veggies that need to be steamed (broccoli, peas, asparagus) to tortellini and cook 2-3 minutes longer.
    In serving bowl, mix tomato, garlic, onion.
    Drain tortellini and veggies and add to tomato mix. Add cheese, drizzle with olive oil, salt, & pepper. Mix well. Serve

Heat of tortellini and veggies will soften up tomato and melt cheese and you end up with a tomato/olive oil "sauce". It was very tasty and very easy to make. I show that the recipe was in a Cooking Light magazine a while back.
  • JaneInKansas
    JaneInKansas Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is always good. I usually put in peppers, onions, broccoli, zucchini, sometimes carrots too, rice and chicken. I made a homemade gluten free teriyaki sauce or dressing/sauce you choose. My husband and I usually eat this about 2 times a week.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    @hey_paula: seeing your avatar picture (Paula Deen) made me read your entire post in Paula Deen's voice. Even when I tried to stop I couldn't. LOL.
    I love veggies roasted... just toss whatever fresh veggies you like with a little olive oil.

Spread them on a baking sheet, season with onion salt, Mrs. Dash, whatever seasonings you like.

Bake them in a preheated oven - 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Take them out, flip them over and put back in until they are roasted and done, 10 more minutes or so.

These are even good leftover, in a sandwich thin with cheese, or on a tossed salad, or with pasta!
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/03/easy-crust-less-spinach-and-feta-pie.html

I made this spinach and feta pie on monday. Yummy!
  • NamsdnaL
    NamsdnaL Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Try Salad.

This one is a yummy salad:
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon chopped chervil or parsley
    1 teaspoon honey
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    6 jumbo asparagus stalks
    peeled 6 baby carrots - peeled and quartered lengthwise
    1/2 cup sugar snap peas (2 ounces)
    trimmed 4 cups packed assorted baby lettuce leaves
    4 radishes
    white mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced 1
    fennel bulb—halved, cored and thinly sliced
    1 Kirby or Japanese cucumber, julienned
    1 ripe Hass avocado, cut into 2-by-1/4-inch slices
    1 cup pea sprouts or broccoli sprouts
    1/4 cup raw cashew halves

OR

12 Veggie Salad:
    lettuce (iceberg)
    cabbage fine cut in strips
    cauliflower
    sweet red pepper
    carrot
    onion
    tomato
    peas
    beans
    corn
    garlic in chili oil
    cucumber

I usually put grilled chicken with salsa over my salad.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    I like using those whole-wheat sandwich thins (even one half) and spreading hummus on the bread. I top the hummus with good veggies, and shredded mozzarella. Heat it up to melt the cheese:)