Shin Splints :(

Options
Lately when I walk 5 minutes into it the front of my bottom legs (shins) will start hurting me to the point I have to head back home because it hurts that bad. After a little research, I think I may be on the onset of shin splints :sad: What to do!? What to do!?

Replies

• Fitchelonga
    Fitchelonga Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Same here!!!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My friend sent me this link to try. Don't know if it works but doesn't sound crazy either.

http://gizmodo.com/5902699/banish-shin-splints-forever-with-one-magical-exercise
  • MzRKP
    MzRKP Posts: 19
    Options
    OMG thank you so much! I will definitely try those exercises, don't lose much by trying at this point, how worse could it possibly get?
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Get some good shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had horrific shin splints when I first started seriously walking/running.

A big part is getting supportive enough shoes. I'm currently running in Saucony Hurricane 14s and I have had NO shin problems since I started in them AT ALL!!! I adore these shoes. When I first got good shoes, I started in Asics 2150s and they helped my shin issues a TON as well.

The second part is that you need to strengthen your calf muscles. I do toe raises all day. Biking/spinning can also really help build calf muscles without the shin problems.

The third part is of course losing weight. I have completely lost my shin splints (knock wood) as I've gotten stronger and lighter. There is a degree of fighting through it, I think, to get to your goal.

And one more thing......it helps to elevate and ice your shins immediately after walking/running. When my shins were at their worst, I would ice them several times a day, and make sure I had at least a one day break between walking/running sessions.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My friend sent me this link to try. Don't know if it works but doesn't sound crazy either.

http://gizmodo.com/5902699/banish-shin-splints-forever-with-one-magical-exercise

^THIS! I actually came into this post to share the very same article. This really works and helps the first day you try it.
  • MzRKP
    Options
    Thank you I will start these exercises today! This cannot be happening to me, no no no! LOL
  • MzRKP
    Options
    Thank you IveLanded I will go get those. I actually just bought the Nike Free's thinking it was just my sneakers, but if those work better and you had exactly what I'm going through I need to get those. I do try to fight through it, like I'll try my walk 5 minutes longer than I did the last time, but it's so difficult. I'll try the toes raises, and ice as well.. Thank you so much everyone! I was so bummed but you guys are helping me look forward to this bump in the road! :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • rdjamis
    rdjamis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    the cause of shin splints was explained to me after many different times in my life .. when you first begin walking or running again after a layoff for some time .. the muscles to the shin are'nt able to carry the increased blood supply and causing the tissue to pull away .. start out slow don't over do it . you think you can go back to the amount of walking you did as before ! ICE after walking. and try every other day>
  • MzRKP
    Options
    Exactly, that's what I couldn't understand.. I used to jog and run so much more, what is going on? But will definitely start the icing and low increments! Thank you!