Should I

Options
AJTwiddy
AJTwiddy Posts: 34 Member
I do not own one But am wondering if I should Buy a Scale??? I have heard to wait at least 1 mth before but I think im gettin discourged cause I dont know or see results But maybe when I step on the scale there wont B any ethier not sure what to do Advice anyone???

Replies

• wolfehound22
    wolfehound22 Posts: 887
    Options
    I'd say no, I see more poeple discouraged by the scale, then actually happy. Take pics, and measurements, these will show you better results.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Scale is an evil *kitten*. I hate that motherf*cker
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I am glad to have my scale. I weigh fairly often but only record once a week. I use it to keep myself on track, but I think its all up to personal preference
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    Scale is really not the devil. It is the person who stands on it. Although I am a HUGE tape measure & caliper advocate, scale is sometimes necessary.
  • RichardCMolloy
    RichardCMolloy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have one at the gym at work. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't buy one.

Yes it's good for me to know my weight but I can also tell by my pants not being so tight lol
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    How do you set your goals without knowing?

If you have a means to weigh then dont waste the money.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Scale is really not the devil. It is the person who stands on it. Although I am a HUGE tape measure & caliper advocate, scale is sometimes necessary.

This... except I don't use a caliper. I've heard those aren't very accurate unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing (and I don't).

I weigh myself often, though only record on Fridays (which reminds me... ). I measure myself/judge by how my clothes fit as well.
  • jennylee1219
    Options
    I would get one but that's just me personally. I like to use the scale as motivation!!!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Food scale? Yes.

"Other" Scale? If you have access to one, I wouldn't bother buying one.

Measuring yourself is another way to track your progress, the scale doesn't always reflect your progress.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I bought a weight scale...and I am glad I did. Seeing that number was enough of a shock to give me the push I needed to keep at it.
    While I know there is a point when the number on the scale doesn't really matter, but that number is what kicked my butt into high gear.

Also measure though!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Its tough to quantify your issues without a scale.
    You only need to weigh yourself every month or so.
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest buying a food scale, if you are going to get any kind of scale. It will help you a lot more in the long run.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Scales are not evil. But remember weight is only part of what you are changing. While they take up different amounts of space, 5 pounds of fat weighs the same as 5 pounds of muscle.

Good luck, & welcome to the journey!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Only if you want to weigh yourself.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I weight myself daily, a couple times throughout the day. I personally find it interesting to see how it fluctuates during the day. I don't have a problem with negative motivation from it though, it you know you will then don't do it!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!! The scale is a spawn of the devil sent here to earth to destroy our spirits :mad:

I step on my scale every day because it’s a bad addiction. However, you should refrain from doing so. You will be so consumed by that number that it will not matter how many inches you lose. Even though losing inches is WAY better than moving scale weight because it can vary daily. Honestly, you are better off buying a tape measure.
  • AJTwiddy
    AJTwiddy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    WOW I am shock at how quick U all are!!! I will Measure although Im not sure I do that right ethier LOL I will weigh in a month (at gym/somewhere) but I think I will hold off on the scale for a little bit and see if I can keep my Modivation with measuring Thanks for the advice N support!! Sorry if its a dumb ??? But what is a food scale N where/how do U get or use one???
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    No. Let your friends and family be your scale. Nothing worse than going to the scale after a week and not seenig what you want to see. BUT then again its soo great when you do see what you want to see. Toughie.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!! The scale is a spawn of the devil sent here to earth to destroy our spirits :mad:

I step on my scale every day because it’s a bad addiction. However, you should refrain from doing so. You will be so consumed by that number that it will not matter how many inches you lose. Even though losing inches is WAY better than moving scale weight because it can vary daily. Honestly, you are better off buying a tape measure.

Oh, honey, I SO agree!!!! I hate that damnable machine............and am drawn to it like an addict to heroin.

it's an evil, horrible thing :devil: :devil:
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Food scale measures your food. I use mine to measure meats. I use measuring cups for everything else. I strongly suggest you measure your food properly because It is not uncommon for you to overestimate; thus, you will be logging incorrect. You can get one at Wal-Mart, Target or any store like that.