Is beer THAT bad?

Options
Hey guys...

Big concern here :)
I'm a beer lover, but as you might see in my photos, I also have a fatty belly.

BUT I think the belly comes from bread, chocolate, sweets, ice creams...and everything you know. I drink maybe 3/4 cans of beer every week. I slowed down a lot on junk food and sweets...but do you think it's better if I stop beer too?

I mean, if I include it in my calorie goal........do you think it's OK....? (hope in my eyes!)

I'd be happy to hear if there are some people here who actually lost weight while not giving up on beer...haha!

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have a dedicated "booze" section in my diary and I've lost two stone to date! It's also quite good for keeping a check on just how much you do drink.

It's fine so long as you don't skip the nutritious food you need to make room for beer calories - three pints could be half your daily calories! I tend to stick to lower calorie beer these day (Coors Lite) and wine most of the time, unless I've earned an epic calories burn.
  • 180farm
    180farm Posts: 230
    Options
    I play softball and my team goes to the sponsoring bar after the game each week. I log them every time and it hasn't hurt me yet. As long as you log it I think it's fine.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    How can the nectar of the Gods be bad for you.
  • Sk8_in_Japan
    Options
    Oh girls!

You made my day ;)

I'll open this damned can NOW.
  • Sk8_in_Japan
    Options

HA HA HA HA HA!
    Totally.
    Yes.
    How.
    Could.
  • abebow
    abebow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I worried about the same thing but have found in moderation (like you are thinking) it has been fine. Just log it...

If you do some research any alcohol you drink can effect protein synthesis, but that is if you are concerned about building lean muscle (such as working out in the gym).

My advice - it's Friday ... Pop a top. :)
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not drinking too much, which I don't think you are then it's not that bad, make sure you keep all the other nutrituin up and good.

That's the biggest problem with beer it's empty calories, virtually no nutrition involved and at 200 cals per pint or therabouts too much ain't too great.

I switched to whiskey for the most part, 2 doubles is about the same as 1 pint, as long you drink it straight, which I do.

I prefer whiskey anyway, at least since I made the switch I do. Too many beers makes me feel bloated.
  • coddy4
    coddy4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It is definately OK, I too am a huge fan. My house party's revolve around beer holidays, Oktoberfest, ST Patty's Day. So that said, I am a fan of the brown beers and microbrews, but they really do have the high calories. I am embarassed to admit, since starting MyFitnessPal, I have hung my head low in the liquor store and bought the Miller 64. I figure I can have one of my tastey beers every now and then, maybe at every beer sitting however I fill it in with MGD64, try it, it doesn't suck ;o)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

^^^^ this.
  • prettyhealthyandhappy
    prettyhealthyandhappy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i think a beer from time to time is absolutely okay. some girls make a candy day once a week. why not making a beer day :D
    sometimes i trink some white wine. and i enjoy it! but i realized, when i have to much of it, i don't think about what i eat, if there's food around :/ plus i don't like the condition of my body the next day (even if i didn't drink that much!) - that's why i prefer drinking non-alcoholic stuff.

worth reading:
    http://www.fitness-nutrition-weightloss.com/alcohol-and-weight-loss.html
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=563
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    No, if it fits your macros (IIFYM)
    I drink a glass of wine several days a week fitting it into my macros
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Beer is not bad. Especially only 3-4 a week. I drink good beer regularly and have lost and kept off 15# for over a year. Yea it wasn't a ton of weight, but still. Like already said, if it fits in your allowance, bottoms up!
  • dk_runs
    dk_runs Posts: 106
    Options
    Like you, I'm a huge beer fan as well...especially microbrews and craft beers. I lost 20 lbs last year and have kept the weight off despite the weekend alcohol comsumption b/c I do log the beer into my calorie count for the day.

One of the folks that posted to your thread stated beer is "nectar of the gods". Amen brother. It truly is.:drinker: