lowering sodium

ittybittybadonkadonk
ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
:noway: i am over 2500 by 1000.... :noway: 900 in 4 small slices of healthy ones honey ham ...... what does everyone eat for lunch meat or anything else to lower sodium..... tonight is the 1st time i have checked my sodium and i am SHOCKED :noway:

Replies

• vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    I don't eat lunch meats because of the sodium in them. You can use canned meat (tuna, chicken, etc) and rinse it in the can.

Also, I use sea salt instead of mined salt as it doesn/t cause as much water retention.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Hormel 100% Natural Turkey...only like 150 - 200 per slice.

It's great too!
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    I don't eat lunch meats because of the sodium in them. You can use canned meat (tuna, chicken, etc) and rinse it in the can.

Also, I use sea salt instead of mined salt as it doesn/t cause as much water retention.

most lunch meats also contain nitrates or nitrites, which are unhealthy preservatives that have been linked to cancer, especially stomach cancer. This is true for most processed meats (like hot dogs, ham sausage) as well as other high sodium foods with lots of preservatives like pickles. I think smoked meats are the major offenders of this, and I'm not sure but I think appelgate farms has some nitrate free lunch meat, I'm not sure about hormel or not. I would limit intake if not for sodium than for this reason.
  • If you have a deli that carries Boars Head Meats Around you I would try those. They have very little perservatives in them and also lower sodium. They only last around three days in the fridge though. But they taste Great!:flowerforyou:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I was actually pondering the sodium lunch meat issue myself, as I love turkey and cheese lunchmeat sandwiches, but even with the lower sodium lunchmeats I can find, it's hard to stay under 2500 with the other food I eat in a day.

Do you guys think buying fresh cut meat from the deli would have lower sodium than the pre-packaged lunchmeats?
  • faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    I eat fit & active turkey lunch meat but after reasding all these comments...I may stick with peanut butter for protein instead...lol or canned tuna.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,165 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I stay away from processed foods almost entirely. I stay away from bread most of the time, too.

Look for alternatives to sandwiches and you'll probably be able to eat a lot more food with higher nutrition, fewer calories, and far less sodium.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    It all comes back to READ the LABEL. There are lunchmeats that don't have nitrates, and there are those with lower sodium. The canned meats have big variations in the amount of sodium. I am too tired to look now, but in the next day or two I will post some specific brand names that are low in sodium and nitrate free.

I love Kirkland 98% lean ham, BUT it has significant sodium so I limit myself in its consumption. Same problem with frozen entrees, even the so called healthy ones can be "sodium minefields":grumble: :grumble:
  • For lunch meat I use Butterball low sodium Turkey. It's 175mg per ounce.
This discussion has been closed.