Should I

Options
2»

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I would get one. As long as you don't get obsessive, it can be a great tool to keep you on track. I know that I lived without a scale for years and as a result became overweight. Doh.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Scale is really not the devil. It is the person who stands on it. Although I am a HUGE tape measure & caliper advocate, scale is sometimes necessary.

This but it also depends on how heavy you are. If you are someone who has a lot of weight to lose you'll see it on the scale easier than anything else at the beginning. But the smaller you get the less that number on the scale will change...
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements. I think that it's a more accurate view of your progress than relying on the scale. Weight can fluctuate all the time depending on water retention, etc. I think many people get discouraged because they don't see progress as much as they would like to when using a scale to measure progress. Also, if you're doing strength training (and you SHOULD!), muscle is more dense than fat. If you build muscle and burn fat, it'll take up less space but you might weigh the same or more... but shouldn't building muscle be considered progress?? :smile: On the scale, you don't see that progress... but you do with measurements!

In my opinion, people should measure (and weigh themselves, if they want) one time per month.

Food scales are VERY useful tools, especially when you first begin and are unsure of portion size. I use mine all the time instead of volume measurements. I think it's more accurate and I don't have to bother washing a bunch of measuring cups every day. I just stick the dish I'm going to eat the food from on the scale, zero it, and then add the food.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Yes, get a scale. And yes, use it daily. But only log the number at your "official" weigh in. I use mine to motivate me to eat less, or more, head to the gym when i need to, and figure out the damage that my "weekends off" causes to my goals. Always better to know than to guess. Just remember, if you do use a scale, use it the same way every time, otherwise you aren't really tracking your progress.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Scale is an evil *kitten*. I hate that motherf*cker

this
  • castroje
    castroje Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You should definetly get it. You can't know how much it is working if you don't have measures. However, don't be a scale slave. Weigh-in once a week, not everyday. It works perfect for me.