Dealing with social events...

Options
So my sister graduated college, my boyfriend just had major surgery (and since I have Irish roots we had a party to celebrate), friends are having goodbye parties, other friends are getting married, and the Giants are back in season. I haven't gone to my exercise class in a week now. I can feel all the weight I lost creeping back on. I'm afraid to weigh myself.

All you party people out there: how do you do it? Spring and summer are full of celebrations (and more importantly, cocktails!) and I can't *not* partake in the festivities. I keep promising myself that after this week things will be back to normal, but it's so easy to get discouraged. How does everyone take time to celebrate with family and friends while also counting calories? MFP says I'm supposed to stick to 1,200 calories a day in order to lose a pound a week but I just can't do it--by the end of the day I'm always hungry, though when I do stick to that limit I find the weight really does fly off... but then that would mean no fun food. Ever.

Help--what are your motivational pointers?! How do you keep the calories down while at parties?

Replies

• violetsue
    violetsue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's sooo hard. Just work to break even. Try to sqeeze in some sort of quick workout and strength training. Don't go to these parties hungry and aim for the lighter stuff. Stay away from the margarita's and blended drinks- way too many calories. BYOB if you want to keep the calories low or mix your wine with diet Sprite.
    Don't give up!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    1st: 1200 cals a day is ridiulous. You should be eating more than that, probably more like around 1800 to 2100.

But, besides that, I will eat before I go, so I'm full. Then when I get there, I just tell them that I was really hungry and had to eat, so, that's it. Then, I just drink. I don't hold back on the drinking at parties. You have to live your life, ya know.

That's it. Simple.

The important thing about get-together, parties, and all that is to never ever snack. That's the killer, all the chips and dips and olives and crackers and cheese, that stuff adds up really quick. Just aviod it all. Don't do it. If you're hungry, just have a small plate of food, but no snacks.
  • kristies73
    kristies73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in any helpful comments because I'm the same. I can be pretty good all week and then the weekend hits and it's parties, eating out, snacking at home (eek!), just extra food that I don't normally eat. But it messed up my weight loss efforts from the good week. It's a never ending cycle.

My guess is I just have to be more careful on the weekend and not let the overindulgences get too unmanageable. I need to find that balance. How much more calories can I eat on the weekend and still manage a good loss for the week?

Good luck to us! :)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Be the person who brings the crudite (veggie tray).
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Practice self control. Bring snacks or eat BEFORE you go these places so you can nibble while you're there, but not pig out.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    How I have done it is to plan one cheat meal per week. If I know an event or party is coming up, I save it for that. If I don't have a cheat available, I eat before I go-- I usually can resist if I'm not hungry. I put food in my purse and eat it when I need it-- whether it's chicken, cucumbers, celery or a baggie of protein powder that I can shake up with water.

Make the events more about enjoying being around people and socializing than about the food. Really shifts your mindset! How bad to you want to look good in a bikini?
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    When I stopped drinking I used plenty of "excuses" to explain why wasn't drinking. The best one is probably to tell them that you have to drive. None of my friends would ever question my decision not to drink and drive. Another good one is to tell them your taking allergy medication (which I actully was some of the time, but not all) and I cannot be mixed with alcohol.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go to the event and only eat the veggies and fruit....find the lowest calorie meat you can...bbq is killer for sodium...bring your own sandwich. Drink water rather rather than the adult beverages. Are people really paying that much attention to what you are or are not eating? Other than my grandma saying that there's plenty and that I should eat more, I don't get any comments about how much or little I eat.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just have to eat smaller portions and try my best not to have any desserts. Even if you just break even, at least you aren't gaining.

I went home for Christmas and thought I'd gain 100 pounds but ended up losing some because I practiced lots of self control. I only had a small portion of mashed potatos instead of the three servings I'd normally have. I also loaded up on vegetables and forced myself to eat them first so I didn't eat tons of ham and steak and other stuff.

For dessert I just shared a piece of pie with my mom since we both watch what we eat. And of course drank water instead of any soda :)
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    It is hard but like someond else said, eat healthy snacks before you go to social events AND get in a good workout before. I tend to lose more weight during summer because I am much more active. I prefer having gatherings at my house where I can be in control of the food and drinks. I like making healthier versions of everything. You just have to learn to choose wisely. You can still enjoy yummy foods, but in smaller quantities, as well as drinks.
    Good luck and if you want to give yourself some leeway, working out is key!!
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    MFP says I'm supposed to stick to 1,200 calories a day in order to lose a pound a week but I just can't do it--by the end of the day I'm always hungry, though when I do stick to that limit I find the weight really does fly off... but then that would mean no fun food. Ever.

I'm no expert, but I've found this group to be helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

I don't know your sizes, but I'm 5'3" and 120 lbs. Eating to maintain, not lose weight, puts me at 1600-1700 calories per day. And I'm not even super-active. Check out the resources there if you want, to learn more about the fuel your body needs each day, etc. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ is a great tool to use to see where you should be eating.

As for parties... I can never control myself haha but I do try to stick with the veggie trays and I try to stay away from any dip that's not salsa (i.e. chip-dip, crab dip, ranch veggie dip) because they're usually pull of empty calories and fat (especially if they are mayonnaise-based).

Good luck!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I forgot about the cheat meal thing. Yeah, you could just make a day for a cheat meal once a week. I used to do that. If I knew I was going to a friends BBQ on a Saturday, I would just make that a cheat day and eat whatever I want. Seriously, you will not gain weight from it.
  • vsay215
    vsay215 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just make better food choices smaller portions and get back on track the next day.
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would eat at home before going to a social event and then come for the party, not the food.
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    Be the person who brings the crudite (veggie tray).

This!! I always bring a tray of veggies or fruit to gatherings and if its a party where all of the food is supplied, I eat as much veggies /greens as I can and then look for a lean protein source. I totally have to stay away from the dips and chips! I also try not to go hungry, and drink moderately (generally Vodka and club soda or Captain and diet coke. (Mixed with a lot of water in between drinks.)

Try to get more excersise on the days when you know there is something tempting coming.

You can totally do this!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just try a tiny taste of everything and then maybe go back for seconds of whatever was my favorite!
  • njoithomp
    njoithomp Posts: 61
    Options
    you cold drink one glass of red wine and drink it slowly, or what I usually do is drink a tall glass of water plus white vodka (not a lot) and squeeze in some lime for flavor. Its not sweet, is fairly low in calories, and lasts a long time.
  • vision2012
    vision2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1st: 1200 cals a day is ridiulous. You should be eating more than that, probably more like around 1800 to 2100.

But, besides that, I will eat before I go, so I'm full. Then when I get there, I just tell them that I was really hungry and had to eat, so, that's it. Then, I just drink. I don't hold back on the drinking at parties. You have to live your life, ya know.

That's it. Simple.

The important thing about get-together, parties, and all that is to never ever snack. That's the killer, all the chips and dips and olives and crackers and cheese, that stuff adds up really quick. Just aviod it all. Don't do it. If you're hungry, just have a small plate of food, but no snacks.

This is really great advice. I like to make light party food, check out Hungry Gril's site http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew she makes light cocktails and great appetizers and you can just bring some along so you don't feel left out of the fun!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you know you're going to party at night, eat light all day, but eat a lot-- just eat a *kitten*-ton of veggies. All day. That way you'll probably end up stuffed but with 1000 calories to spend.

Pretty much go buy everything on sale from the produce section, eat it raw chopped up small with lemon and salt, make a soup out of it, whatever.

Then at the party get a small plate and fill it once, eat it slowly; have one of your favorite drink, then fizzy water for the rest of the night.

Or... you could always do a massive workout in the morning, really wear yourself out, take a nap, shower, and eat your butt off at the party cuz you earned it :)
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If this is a buffet setup, have one plate of maybe a couple of foods and that's it. Spend the rest of the time as far away from the food as possible.