What excercises are you doing?

When i signed up i said i would do 50 minutes of excercise 4x a week. MFP then came up with i should burn 465 calories in that time. I've been walking on the treadmill and even at the fastest i can go, i'm only supposedly burning anywhere from 300-350 calories. At that rate I can't get up to the weekly goal set for me. All the excercises i like, such as walking and yoga apparently burn very little. I've seen on many posts that people are buring 600 or even 800 calories per workout. How on earth are they doing that??

Replies

• derek2680
    derek2680 Posts: 48 Member
    The amount of cals burned differs with you weight. I for example burn almost 700cals in 40minutes on a elliptical, but I am 6"4 270lbs (not for long hopefully). I have never done yoga and know very little about it, but it seems very low impact where your HR will not be pushed up to the level where you are burning serious cals. When you are on the treadmill instead of just walking at the same pace for the entire time, try increasing by 2-3mph up to a jog for a couple minutes then go back to walk and alternate those. It seems to get my HR up and shocks the body going back and forth. Hope this helps.
  • magip
    magip Posts: 20
    circuit training is your best bet. or work out twice a day ;)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Don't bother with what MFP say your should do for exercise because it does not count until you actually do it.

When I run I burn about 400 calories in an hour and it is even lower when I do strenght training.

The curse of being 4'11'' and 120 pounds LOL Just do your best.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    circuit training is your best bet. or work out twice a day ;)

Do exercise because you enjoy it or to help your fitness not for the calories burn. 80% of weight loss happen in the kitchen
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    I've been walking on the treadmill

run
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Many factors: people burn differently based on height, weight, gender, fitness level, exertion level used, speed, incline. number of rest minutes etc.

A Heart Rate Monitor will give you the most accurate calorie measurement. Equipment LCD panels (or MFP) are often inaccurate.

In my case - (female short, very fit, at goal weight) Treadclimber highest speed and incline, (a jog not a walk) I burn ONLY 400 calories in 60 minutes.

My Husband, much larger guy, less fit, burns 460 calories in 40 minutes. Jog, not walk.

I personally work out from 60-120 minutes, a day, 5 days a week. I do cardio on the treadclimber, but also have weight lifting days, with heavy weights.
    I generally have two workouts a day four days a week. 1 on 1 days a week. Two "rest" days (though I am usually outside doing something active)

Different people have different goals, and will have different workout time, schedules,, and number of days they workout.

You need to find what works for you, and helps you meet your goals, at the speed you can live with, and still have time to enjoy life and do what makes you happy. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I've seen on many posts that people are buring 600 or even 800 calories per workout. How on earth are they doing that??

Who cares what other people are posting. Worry about yourself. If you burn 200-400 calories in a day from exercise, that is a great day.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Yeah, running would be great if i wasn't 5'10" and 250 lbs. Running at this point is not an option. The fastest pace i can maintain for my joints has been 3.7mph. Cardio wise, i'm in such great shape it's hard to get my heart rate up before i physically can't comply with what i'm doing. Limping on the treadmill isn't great, i've tried.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Thank you. It just seemed like MFP was aiming kinda high.