Newbie. Well, sort of.

Options
Hey all
I’ve started and stopped using MFP about 2 or 3 times now. I just realized that my biggest issue with using MFP regularly is that, if I eat something I cannot find the calories to, I either ask my hubby (he usually knows) or I estimate (which I’m not god at).
And then I honestly feel guilty at the end of the day, even if I stayed at/around my goal calorie level, ‘cause I just think, “Well, I probably under-estimated that food” or “That’s not exact, so what’s the point of tracking at all if I can’t be precise?”
It’s really discouraging to me. Even though MFP has SO many food items listed out and I can scan a barcode too.

Also, I get on the elliptical at the gym for 30 minutes, and MFP says that burns 600 calories. My husband and I don't think that’s exactly accurate (though he’s impressed with the MFP app too). We think it’s more like 250-300 for those 30 minutes I’m on.

So it’s such a mental block for me with these two things: Being afraid I'm under-estimating the calorie intake, and over-estimating the daily calorie burning.

If those aren’t right, I just think, “What is the point of trying to track it if it’s not precise?”
Does anyone else deal with this? 
If so, how do you deal with it, and get past it?

Thanks, yall!

Replies

• jvansyckel
    jvansyckel Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi!! Being an all or nothing, gotta get it perfect kind of person myself I understand how those things can distract you from your goals. But you need to just try and do the best you can, because doing something, even if it isn't an exact science is better than doing nothing at all.

I personally find that the food database here ROCKS!! and have not had a problem finding the foods I eat. If you can't find something here have you tried http://nutritiondata.self.com/ ? That is a really good resource.

I personally do Wii FIt which tell me what my calorie burn is and I enter that. Not sure how MFP determines Exercise.

Last but not least, my only other advise to you is don't get all hung up on the exact numbers here on MFP. Try and stay as close to your daily target as you can, but listen to your body and only eat when hungry, and stop when full. Make healthy food choices. And try to exercise daily!

Good Luck, and don't give up!! Remember, Something is better than nothing!!!!
  • belle0226
    belle0226 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi I understand your frustration. I hope you can stick with it. It can be tough when you don't feel like you are getting the right information. I actually use MFP and another site as well. I take the information each gives and if they are different I go somewhere in the middle. But I don't want to give up either site. Doing something like that where you have another source may help. Again if it's here or if you go somewhere else I hope you can get through it. It is worth it for you.