Best purchase ever...

Options
So I bought the Bob Harper book...the Skinny Rules. And wow...it's really good! I have always been of the mindset that 'a calorie is a calorie' doesn't matter where it comes from. But this is so not true. Bobs rules are all explained so simply and backed by actual evidence...and I finally GET IT! Al lot of the 'rules' have been suggested on mfp...but it's nice to have them with reasons, tools, and even recipes to carry out a healthy lifestyle. I was thinking how if we get a new pet, we buy a book about how to feed it properly...why do we skip the feeding manual for our own bodies??

After finishing the book, I applied a few rules right away...and broke my 4 week plateau in 2 days! Yeah! I recommend it to anyone who wants to clean up their diet, but doesn't know why...lol.

Off to clean cupboards and create my new grocery list!

Replies

• lisafrancis629
    Options
    Sounds like a great book. Going to put that on my list to buy this weekend.

By the way, great weight loss! :flowerforyou:
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    My best purchase ever was the book It's all too much by Peter Walsh. Really got me to overcome emotional attachments to objects from family members and to be able to declutter the home.

But my best fitness purchase was my polar HRM. I love it!
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of this one-- going on the list! thanks!
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion!! Going to download it to my Kindle now!
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Glad to help! I am determined to eat *mostly* clean now...anything is an improvement!
  • TamaraHaase
    TamaraHaase Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this because I love Bob, but... I think this one is a bit extreme. I was very excited to buy and read The Skinny Rules and scoured through it in a day. But some of the rules I feel are too much or not necessary. While I believe the advice, I don't think most people could make the switch-over easily. I for one could not do one meatless day a week! While I really don't like meat all that much, most of the other 'best' choices of protein are not things that I would eat either. I'm a very picky eater; without chicken or fish, I would never make it. I don't know, it just doesn't seem practical for the everyday person in everyday situations. Of course, I have a lot of weight to lose and Bob doesn't.
  • TamaraHaase
    TamaraHaase Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    But I was thinking of buying Bob's other book 'Are You Ready?'. Has anyone else read it? Is it motivating or worth it to buy?
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    sounds like a summer read to me! thx!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Thanks for the review. I just reserved a copy at Chapters for pick-up tomorrow! Sounds like a great read! I love Bob!!!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    No carbs after lunch? Pass.