? for all you lifters out there

Options
Yesterday I did my squats and deadlifts. Now, I cut the weights in 1/2 (down to 2 25 lb plates, which I consider low since the Stronglifts suggests that I start my deads at 90 lbs and my squats at 50 lbs) on the Smith machine because when I was using the higher weight I always got a pain in my lower left back later the same night that would take several days to recover from. The lower right side of my back is completely fine, no pain or soreness.

So yesterday, I used the smaller weights and used the foam roller when I was finished with my entire workout (I didn't just do dead's and squats) and also stretched out my lower back. I could feel a slight twinge but nothing horrible, and if I had good posture and sat up straight, the pain decreased. Now, as the night wore on the soreness got worse and this morning I can hardly move that side of my back. I'm icing it as I type.

I'm thinking that the left side of my back, for whatever reason is weaker than the right and this is something that is just going to take time to strengthen. Also, I'm wondering if for just one dead or squat, my form is off and I tweek my back. I'm tired of getting sidelined for several days after doing these exercises....I'm about to eliminate them, or decrease the weight to a sad amount.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or really good lower back strengthening exercises I can do on my off-lifing days?
Thanks!

Edit: I just stood up and felt a pop and a crunch in my lower left back and much of the pain is gone, still very sore and difficult to stretch.

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to your particular injury but from what I've searched the Smith Machines put you at a higher risk of injury. Less stabilizing muscle activation, etc.

Have you had asymmetrical problems in the past, maybe scoliosis?

I'd ditch the Smith and watch form videos and have someone really watch your form.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Nope, no back problem except I did have sciatica on the left side and the point of the pain in my back is where the sciatic pain begins, except it isn't sciatica as it does not travel down my hip, leg, etc. It's literally just a spot in my back.

I read an old post and tried and just tried the sumo squat stretch and transversus abdominus exercises and they had made a world of difference. The pain is a lot better already.

I will get away from the Smith machine and start to do both my deads and squats with the bar and plates though, I didn't know about that regarding the Smith machine, thanks so much!! (my son's been telling me this for a while now and I haven't listened to him :blushing: )
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better.

Listen to your son! lol, too funny

I didn't know what a Smith machine was so I googled it while reading your post, saw all the warnings about it. Especially the low back issues.
  • Carolstone1959
    Carolstone1959 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Arnold's "weak point" training so you might want to look at his method. "Good Mornings" work well for my lower back.

I know from my own lifting that my "weak point" is also where I tend to hold my stress. That manifested itself while I was lifting and would cause pain/soreness. Any lift that was new or too much weight and I would unconsciously tense up my weak point. Then the next day... ugh. I'd lose 3-5 days recovering and start all over again.

To combat the ugly cycle, I dropped WAY down on the weight and concentrated on form, keeping the movement as isolated as possible and other areas neutral. Eventually, I got back to where I was before but without the pain.
  • petreebird
    Options
    Awesome, I'll check it out cuz it does suck being sidelined for days only to do it again. This is the 3rd time it's happened and like I said with much lower weight so I will be looking for something to rectify this.

Thanks!
  • Rum77
    Rum77 Posts: 4
    Options
    It sounds like your form could be the issue. I would recommend watching videos on form. The smith machine does take away from the use of other muscles I would not take it out of your routine.

I had a back injury this year. I saw a chiropractor and massage therapist and that helped.

Also work on your posture all the time. That will benefit you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    2 things jump out at me...

1) doing squats and deads in the same session. That's a lot of stress if you're really pushing yourself.
    2) smith machine, ok for deads, not good for squats as the bar can't move with you... not always good for proper form.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    I just started lifting recently, but I noticed something similar. It clicked in my head when I was squatting, that my left side is stronger than my right side. It's actually throwing off my form because my left side completely overpowers my right side.

Definitely something I'm watching out for. I find if I open up my squat wider, I get a better hold on it and can power through more easily.

Man, bodies are weird.
  • petreebird
    Options
    My right side is definitely stronger than my left, so I guess it is possible that my right and left aren't working together properly.

I'll pay closer attention to this, thanks so much!