Vitamin Deficiencies

Options
tinabell153
tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
Sometimes, like today, I get a rude awakening and remember I have a vitamin B12 deficiency. My face, legs and arms get muscle twitches, my gums bleed easily, I get really moody, I get tired, light headed and shaky sometimes and I am very pale.

Of course all of these symptoms don't usually happen all at once. The past two days it has been muscle twitching and moodiness. I forgot to take my liquid B12 the past few weeks and I thought I was fine, but really I'm not and it is a serious matter that I need to take care of.

Does anyone else suffer from a vitamin deficiency? Maybe B12 and have the same symptoms?

What are your symptoms and how do you deal with your deficiency?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have a B12 deficiency. I never knew it until during routine blood work for a physical with a new doctor. She ordered test for vitamin deficiencies and lo and behold, I was near "dangerously low" for B12 (strange, because I eat meat!). I was put on a supplement and retested a couple of months later and everything is at normal levels now. I now take a multivitamin plus a B12 supplement (Nature's Made brand) to keep it normalized.

I never felt bad before taking the supplement and feel no different now I have normal levels of B12 for some reason. Are you taking anything if you know you are deficient?
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I started taking sublingual B12 supplements about two months ago. I didn't have any sort of diagnosis, but just knew that B12 was good for preserving brain function. I also don't eat much meat so I thought it couldn't hurt. I actually do feel a bit less lethargic after starting the supplements, and I've lost weight a bit quicker, but that could be from any number of factors. I'm taking it for the purpose of being good for me.

I have an iron deficiency and am meant to take iron supplements but hardly do anymore. The deficiency makes me feel tired, I'm cold almost all the time and my periods are horrible. Those all (mostly) go away when I take my supplements regularly.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I found out I was extremely Viatmin D deficient after I went to the doctors because my hair was falling out in clumps, I was tired ALL the time, put on 10lbs with working out and eating right, increased migraines and I was pale!! I have to take 4000 iu a day just to bring it to a normal level!!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have vitamin B12 deficiency (I'm supposed to get monthly injections at the doctor's office, but I can never find the time to get in), potassium deficiency (was on 1200mg prescription, but ran out and haven't had time to fill it), and am anemic (taking prenatal vitamins, as iron pills eat through my intestines).

I have bizarre muscle spasms and frequently drop things by accident (my phone is covered in scratches and dings from it constantly slipping out of my hands). My hair is thinning, I'm constantly tired, cold, irritable.

A few years ago I started getting intense digestive issues and over the past 5 years have been hospitalized for some "mystery" illness 7 times. I developed an intolerance for milk, red meat, high sugars, high fats and high salt foods. I'm supposed to be taking a handful of vitamins and that shot, but I hate having to rely on supplements. I'd love to naturally get the nutrients I need through food, as I don't trust the chemicals in the OTC pills, but it looks like for now, I'm stuck with supplements. My doctor called me last week freaking out on me for my ridiculous blood work that came back from the hospital. Ooops.
  • tinabell153
    Options
    I have vitamin B12 deficiency (I'm supposed to get monthly injections at the doctor's office, but I can never find the time to get in), potassium deficiency (was on 1200mg prescription, but ran out and haven't had time to fill it), and am anemic (taking prenatal vitamins, as iron pills eat through my intestines).

I have bizarre muscle spasms and frequently drop things by accident (my phone is covered in scratches and dings from it constantly slipping out of my hands). My hair is thinning, I'm constantly tired, cold, irritable.

A few years ago I started getting intense digestive issues and over the past 5 years have been hospitalized for some "mystery" illness 7 times. I developed an intolerance for milk, red meat, high sugars, high fats and high salt foods. I'm supposed to be taking a handful of vitamins and that shot, but I hate having to rely on supplements. I'd love to naturally get the nutrients I need through food, as I don't trust the chemicals in the OTC pills, but it looks like for now, I'm stuck with supplements. My doctor called me last week freaking out on me for my ridiculous blood work that came back from the hospital. Ooops.

Wow! It looks like you have a lot going on... I am VERY clumsy too and I think it's because of my B12 deficiency. I hate taking pills too because I'm not sure what all is in them. But I have been taking the liquid B12 and when I do I see a big improvement in my attitude and alertness. It also stops the twitching... but only if I take it every single day.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

Wow! It looks like you have a lot going on... I am VERY clumsy too and I think it's because of my B12 deficiency. I hate taking pills too because I'm not sure what all is in them. But I have been taking the liquid B12 and when I do I see a big improvement in my attitude and alertness. It also stops the twitching... but only if I take it every single day.

What brand of liquid B12 are you taking? Does it have any flavouring to it?? Sounds interesting!
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, like today, I get a rude awakening and remember I have a vitamin B12 deficiency. My face, legs and arms get muscle twitches, my gums bleed easily, I get really moody, I get tired, light headed and shaky sometimes and I am very pale.

Of course all of these symptoms don't usually happen all at once. The past two days it has been muscle twitching and moodiness. I forgot to take my liquid B12 the past few weeks and I thought I was fine, but really I'm not and it is a serious matter that I need to take care of.

Does anyone else suffer from a vitamin deficiency? Maybe B12 and have the same symptoms?

What are your symptoms and how do you deal with your deficiency?

Try taking your liquid B vitamin and holding it under the tounge for about a minute (sublingual route). It gets absorbed better this way. They also do make sublingual tablets for this purpose
  • donniesgirrl
    Options
    B2, D, iron...I deal with it by trying to remember to take my vitamins. :flowerforyou:

My struggle is that taking the vitamins usually makes me feel sick (even with food, no matter the brand), so then I don't want to take them...but I get overwhelmingly tired and in the case of the B2, I feel like I am getting sores in the cracks of my mouth (I'm not - it just feels that way).
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I had to have it intravenously for about a year - there's some weird auto immune disease it's associated with where even if your levels from food or supplements are OK you can't metabolise it through your digestive system. I'm very happy with being able to manage now on supplements and eating better. If you know you're better on them just take the bloody things :)
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    How do you KNOW if you are deficient in a Vitamin without going to the doctor

I've been feeling really tired lately but is that a reason to go see my doctor??
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    If you are B12 deficient, you need to be diligent about taking those supplements. B12 deficiency can cause permanent nerve damage. Damage that can never be reversed.
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    I just learned I had very low B12 and my doctor started me on Vessel Care:
    http://www.metagenics.com/products/a-z-products-list/Vessel-Care

Riboflavin5 mg
    Trimethylglycine500 mg
    Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl)25 mg
    Choline (as choline bitartrate)100 mg
    Folate (as calcium L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate†)800 mcg
    Intrinsic Factor20 mg
    Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin)1 mg
    Zinc (as zinc citrate)5 mg

Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose, calcium silicate, stearic acid (vegetable), croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate (vegetable), coating (deionized water, hypromellose, maltodextrin, and polyethylene glycol)

The "intrinsic factor" helps with absorption. I've been taking 2x daily (one morning, one night) and I've noticed a decrease in headaches already - it's been a week.
  • tinabell153
    Options
    How do you KNOW if you are deficient in a Vitamin without going to the doctor

I've been feeling really tired lately but is that a reason to go see my doctor??

My mom was in the hospital being tested for MS but it turned out she had B12 deficiency so I wanted tested. Not sure if it's genetic or not but I have her same symptoms, just not as severe.
  • tinabell153
    Options

What brand of liquid B12 are you taking? Does it have any flavouring to it?? Sounds interesting!

I was taking the NOW brand (raspberry flavored), but I hate the taste so I switched to Nature's Bounty (Natural Berry Flavored). It tastes much better.

I hold it under my tongue for 30-60 seconds then swallow it with a ton of water haha.
  • tinabell153
    Options
    If you are B12 deficient, you need to be diligent about taking those supplements. B12 deficiency can cause permanent nerve damage. Damage that can never be reversed.

I am aware. I just forget to take it sometimes. My mom has permanent lesions on her brain from having B12 deficiency.
  • tinabell153
    Options
    I just learned I had very low B12 and my doctor started me on Vessel Care:
    http://www.metagenics.com/products/a-z-products-list/Vessel-Care

Riboflavin5 mg
    Trimethylglycine500 mg
    Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl)25 mg
    Choline (as choline bitartrate)100 mg
    Folate (as calcium L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate†)800 mcg
    Intrinsic Factor20 mg
    Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin)1 mg
    Zinc (as zinc citrate)5 mg

Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose, calcium silicate, stearic acid (vegetable), croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate (vegetable), coating (deionized water, hypromellose, maltodextrin, and polyethylene glycol)

The "intrinsic factor" helps with absorption. I've been taking 2x daily (one morning, one night) and I've noticed a decrease in headaches already - it's been a week.

That is so interesting! I will ask my doctor about it and see if it will help me.

Thanks!
  • maddiecab
    maddiecab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found out I was extremely Viatmin D deficient after I went to the doctors because my hair was falling out in clumps, I was tired ALL the time, put on 10lbs with working out and eating right, increased migraines and I was pale!! I have to take 4000 iu a day just to bring it to a normal level!!
  • maddiecab
    maddiecab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Interesting to know....I too am very low on vitamin D and recently experienced huge amounts of hair loss. I have always had very thick hair, so I was quite alarmed. However we thought it was caused from being put on phenobarbatol for migrain prevention. Needless to say, I went off the stuff! Guess I will get back to taking the vit D.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have a B12 deficiency, and after a year of daily B12 supplements and a multivitamin, they've gone back to normal. I'm going to keep taking them, because it just feels awful when you're deficient.