Home Gym or Gym Gym?

I initially started working out in my home gym (treadmill, eliptical, stepper) with success. But I would find myself wanting to cut workouts short, and just wasn't enjoying it at all, like it was some huge chore. Staring out the same window, looking at the wall, blah blah blah. Left me concentrating on "when is this going to over, are you done yet, this sucks"

I finally put out the $$$$ for a gym membership, and I LOVE IT!!!! The environment allows me to lose track of time rather than concentrating on time. An hour comes and goes really fast. I also like that I have a HUGE variety of equipment to use. Seeing everyone else working their tail off is super motivational to me.

Which do you prefer and why?

Replies

• Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    I would prefer a gym gym but that isnt possible right now..but i have a pretty great home gym so i cant complain :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Home gym. I don't need to wait for the equipment I want, and I don't like the distractions.
  • amandanzgirl
    amandanzgirl Posts: 79 Member
    I have a TV set up in the room I workout at home - so can easily do half an hour or so watching a show, or switching to the music channel for a bit. I usually mix up my routine every day too, so I dont get bored.
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Well I workout at my campus gym...I love the environment and it keeps me motivated.I also do workout videos at home..but in my opinion I prefer the "gym gym"
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    All I have at home is a treadmill, and I've found I much prefer running on ground, so I go to the gym for the running track and then weight lifting equipment. I'm hoping to get a weight bench at home soon, but I'll still probably go to the gym for running and childcare :P
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,719 Member
    Home gym. I could work out naked if I wanted (I don't). lol I have all the machines I like. No waiting. Can blare the music. Can watch the big screen. I prefer it there.
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    I really like the Gym Gym too. However, i don't have a membership anymore. I work shift work and am a mother of two small children. I get my workouts in when they are in bed (either nap time or bed time depending on my shift). Plus, the closest gym is over 20 minutes away, so it would take 40 minutes of my time just commuting. Maybe when they are teenagers and they want me out of the house I'll go back to the Gym Gym:)

I switch up my DVDs, ride my stationary bike or my regular bike with a baby on the back, do uphill sprints in my back yard, lift weights..........
  • I'm doing turbo jam at home, I have a lot of workouts dvd's and tj is the only one I actually enjoy, I also have a gym membership but I get lazy to change and get ready to go workout... I usually workout at home in my pj's lol I've been to the gym about 15 times in 7 months :blushing:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I love going to the gym. My home workouts aren't nearly as effective, plus I don't have a barbell kit and a power rack at home.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    I would love to have a home gym! I would have a TV in there, playing The Daily Show constantly. I guess I can dream.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Either works well for me. Currently, belong to a gym as I live in a teeny apt.
  • Well, I am one that needs to be kicked into gear and have someone keep me accountable. So I joined a group personal training class 4 times a week. It's a bit more $$$$, but I go and work out hard. Since doing this I have lost 16 inches collectively, although I haven't had a drastic weight loss (changing fat to muscle)!!!
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Our apartment bldg has a small fitness centre and I use the treadmill when the weather sucks outside...they also have some strength training equipment but right now i have no real idea how to use any of it so when I'm working again I'm joining a gym and getting a few PT sessions
  • MystiqueASAP
    MystiqueASAP Posts: 747
    Both. Strength training at the gym is great and it motivates me more to see others strength training. Yoga and belly dancing at home isn't as distracting as it can be for me at the gym and I can do either upon awakening or before bed.
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 294 Member
    I love going to the gym. My home workouts aren't nearly as effective, plus I don't have a barbell kit and a power rack at home.

^This exactly.

At home I'll walk around town at times (rarely though), but I could never bring myself to do workout DVDs (I tried a variety of subjects.) Plus now that I'm gotten into free weights I'm in love. I hope to get a barbell kit, power rack, and bench eventually, but that will have to wait until I get a new place.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    I work out at my home gym and my actual gym gym.....Where I work out any given day depends on my mood and time of day...
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Home. I don't have to waste time driving back and forth, workout at whatever ungodly hours I feel like, do whatever workout I feel like. No need to work my schedule around other people. The only problem is that I'm missing the barbell set and squat rack, but that will get fixed.
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 130 Member
    I live in a rural area. So the time it takes me to get there and back I could have done a half hour at home.
    Gas and I like to do my work out first thing in the morning. With kids at home if I went to the gym no one would be home with the kids as my husband would be gone for work before I got home. I have free weights, a treadmill, and my husband has a recumbent bike he never uses:grumble: I personally rather have a regular sationary bike. Oh well at least I have space at home to work out.