Calories and strength training..

Options
I was just curious as to weather I need to up my calories on the days I do strength training..I am still trying to lose weight but have been getting better results as in inchs lost by strength training..i just don't want to mess up by not eating enough if I am suppose to increase on those days...Anyone have any experience with this that can help...thank you

Replies

• Spacecas
    Spacecas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    How much you might eat on a specific day doesn't matter so much as your caloric balance over time
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    As a woman especially, I don't think you need to worry about eating more on lifting days. As UTR says, caloric intake over time is more important than specific days. Your body doesn't require a lot of extra calories to build and maintain muscle. I would keep doing what you're doing unless you feel like you aren't getting the results you want.
  • rick_rossow
    Options
    It is important to get a quick burst of protein within 30 minutes of strength training. Studies show that your body will more quickly use the protein to build muscle at the conclusion of a workout. I'll either eat a high protein greek yogurt, or take a protein shot.
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Check out the MFP group EM2LW, Eat More to Lose Weight. Hope you find it helpful! :)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting & following New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW), which DOES recommend eating more on lifting days than rest days, with a recommendation to try for 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've calculated my calories at a 20% cut from my TDEE to be 2300. I eat that many whether it be a workout day or a rest day. I've been having success.
  • Spacecas
    Options
    thank you all..
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It is important to get a quick burst of protein within 30 minutes of strength training. Studies show that your body will more quickly use the protein to build muscle at the conclusion of a workout. I'll either eat a high protein greek yogurt, or take a protein shot.

This was once thought to be true but newer research indicates the window for protein intake after a workout is 24 hours. Personally, I work out first thing in the morning fasted and really look forward to a protein shake right afterward but this is personal preference.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I was just curious as to weather I need to up my calories on the days I do strength training..I am still trying to lose weight but have been getting better results as in inchs lost by strength training..i just don't want to mess up by not eating enough if I am suppose to increase on those days...Anyone have any experience with this that can help...thank you

Unless you are doing an incredibly taxing program, probably not. If you still have quite a bit of weight to lose, almost certainly not.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

I'm assuming that you aren't logging your strength training in the cardio section of MFP because if you were, you'd see that it does indeed add calories to what you should eat that day.
  • Spacecas
    Options
    well no I have not been logging the strength training under cardio cause it is not cardio but trying to log it separate is a pain..

I know it adds them for cardio but did not think about adding them there...

thanks will try that..
  • mmapags
    Options
    I don't feel that the formula for calories for strength training is particularly accurate or don't really know if it is or not. I use this formula that TrainingwithTonya put on a thread that I think is more accurate. Tonya, btw is one of several certified trainers who post here. She has a bunch of letter after her name indicating what her certifications are and is very knowledgable. Here is the formula. I hope you find it helpful!

220 pound person / 2.2 = 100 Kilogram person

Vigorous free weight training = 6 METs

100 x 6 x 0.0175 = 10.5 Calories per minute

60 minute workout = 10.5 x 60 = 630 Calories burned
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I don't feel that the formula for calories for strength training is particularly accurate or don't really know if it is or not. I use this formula that TrainingwithTonya put on a thread that I think is more accurate. Tonya, btw is one of several certified trainers who post here. She has a bunch of letter after her name indicating what her certifications are and is very knowledgable. Here is the formula. I hope you find it helpful!

Thanks for the plug. LOL

Remember, the 6 METs is for VIGOROUS strength training. Light strength training is only 3 METs. You can go to this link to see the METs compendium I use for determining Calorie burns for various things when a patient can't use a heart rate monitor or when the heart rate monitor wouldn't be accurate (IE: any activity where the heart rate is up and down instead of steady state). http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf
  • mmapags
    Options

Thanks for the plug. LOL

Remember, the 6 METs is for VIGOROUS strength training. Light strength training is only 3 METs. You can go to this link to see the METs compendium I use for determining Calorie burns for various things when a patient can't use a heart rate monitor or when the heart rate monitor wouldn't be accurate (IE: any activity where the heart rate is up and down instead of steady state). http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf

You are awesome there girl and I've learned a lot from you!!