Elliptical Trainer problem

Options
Does anyone else find their feet go to sleep when using the elliptical? I can maybe make it for 20 minutes and then they go so numb they start to burn!!! I have to stop and walk it off and then start again... it really stinks because I want to keep my heart rate up and feel like I'm starting all over again when I get back on....:grumble:

Replies

• frenchfoodlover
    Options
    Does anyone else find their feet go to sleep when using the elliptical? I can maybe make it for 20 minutes and then they go so numb they start to burn!!! I have to stop and walk it off and then start again... it really stinks because I want to keep my heart rate up and feel like I'm starting all over again when I get back on....:grumble:
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    This is a common problem with the elliptical it is because you don't actually move your feet are in the same place all the time I find that if you go backwards every couple of minutes it doesn't happen or just change the position of your feet slightly every now and then I dont think there is anyway to prevent but keeping shoe laces slightly lose can help and making sure that your shoes are a comfortable fit.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    This happens to me as well and I've never been able to resolve the problem but just "push" through to the end of my exercise period. I thought it was just me until you wrote this. I'll try reversing the motion to see if it helps although I have found that by flexing my feet while working out does provide some relief as does shifting my feet to a different position occasionally but not completely.
  • SunnyInBuffalo
    Options
    me too...I hate it. Sometimes it helps if I focus my effort on to a toe-push...and later a heal push
  • Deargan
    Deargan Posts: 18
    Options
    I think I am the one person in the world that doesn't like Ellipticals. However, when my parents bought theirs, they went to a trainer to be fitted (apprently like treadmills, your height and stride matter). I remember the trainer telling them that the proper way to use them was to make sure your entire foot, heel to toe, was flat on the pedals when using it.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    My feet fall asleep too. I just move them around on the pedals and that helps somewhat.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    You know, I"ve never had this happen to me...although I do tend to move my feet a few times over thr course of the workout...=o/
  • eperkins
    eperkins Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting! This happens to me too. I just figured I have bad circulation and keep hoping as I loose weight this problem will stop. I have noticed, as stated previously, I loosen my laces -- I will also try reversing.

I have high BP and cholesterol, does anyone think these are contributors? Main reason why I'm on this website to lose the 30 pounds and be around when my son blesses me with grandchildren! So far lost 10! 20 to go! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Britcarmie
    Options
    I have that problem too, I find that moving the postion of your feet helps and also, oddly enough, drinking water!!! I have tried this several times and it helps me...odd I know:laugh:
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    :bigsmile: Thank you so much! I thought it was just me!!!! I've now tried scrunching my toes (and after one embarrassing moment losing my balance - it seems to be helping)

Thanks again.....
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    after reading about ellipticals for the past few months, i've finally realised that they are what I call a cross trainer lol :laugh: And generally i find my feet dont go too numb or tingly but they always feelw eird when I've finished!
  • vldowd
    vldowd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    IF YOU CHANGE THE DIRECTION YOU ARE PEDALING AS WELL AS CHANGING FOOTING POSITION YOU ACTUALLY WORK DIFFERENT AREAS OF MUSCLES. :tongue:
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    I did not even know you could go backwards!! DUH!!!:embarassed:
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The first time I got on one, I thought it ONLY went backwards! :blushing: :laugh:

I am a member of the numb feet club--I thought it might be because I am so short (5 feet) and everything seems so oversized. (I pretty much blame everything on my height, though...)
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You have got to be kidding me!!!!

I've had alot of lower back problems & actually went to my doctor because of the numbness... x-rays, bloodtests - he referred me to a neurologist because he couldn't figure it out- appointment next week - guess I'll cancel it :ohwell:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    You have got to be kidding me!!!!

I've had alot of lower back problems & actually went to my doctor because of the numbness... x-rays, bloodtests - he referred me to a neurologist because he couldn't figure it out- appointment next week - guess I'll cancel it :ohwell:

I knooowww! Here is the part from that link I posted above that I was trying to refer to. (There is a lot of impertinent info on that post....sorry...)

My friend sells equipment for a living and he said to buy one with the widest stride you can find, 14 being better than an 11, and one that spaces your feet as close together as you can so that you are walking in a more normal stride. It should feel like you're walking.

****Lots of people report that they experience numbness and that has to do with the way you walk on it. Chris said to make sure you walk like you would walk normally and NOT keep your feet flat on the pedal or your feet will definitely go to sleep. Good luck. *****
    OMG! catlover - thank you for that little bit of information about numbness. I have really long legs and my left foot always goes numb about 40 minutes into a workout on an elliptical. But I get a much better stretch and I read that you want to keep feet flat because it makes you use more muscles. BUT I have no idea where I read that - I don't even know if it's true. (Well, apparently it isn't!)

I'll stop thinking I'm going to have a stroke.:laugh: I have asked many people about the numbness, and no one had any ideas. Glad to hear it isn't just me. I learn something from mfp every day!

~Cheryl
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    I feel so much better know it's not just me!!
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    Okay guys... tried my moving my feet around and lost my balance... :embarassed: oh well... I'm going to try to pay more attention next time... I have to admit I was groovin' to some good tunes at the time.