Fruits and Veggies

Options
Hey what fruits and veggies keep the longest and what are ways to keep fruits and veggies longer?

Replies

• 99wishes
    99wishes Posts: 6
    Options
    You can look up lists online about which ones to keep in the fridge and which ones to leave out. For instance, you have to leave tomatoes out and in a cool-ish place in order for them to keep longer, fully ripen, and retain their tasty flavor. Some even keep longer if they are kept bunched together, like bananas. For the veggies in the fridge, line your drawers with a paper towel to absorb excess moisture. Excess moisture can make your fruits and vegetables go bad faster. Don't trust those expensive bags that you can buy that claim to keep fruits and veggies crispy and make them last longer - I've tried a bunch of those and none of them worked!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Don't keep them in bags or even in the refrigerator drawers. I find that just sitting them on the racks in the fridge makes them last longest, probably some sort of air circulation thing.

Also, see how the store is keeping the produce when you buy it to help determine what you should do with it at home. If it's in their refrigerated section, then you'd better put it in the fridge; if they leave it out, you should probably put it in a cupboard (though if things start getting overripe, sticking them in the refrigerator can help them keep for a few days longer).
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Here is a site I use. Gives how to best store all foods. http://www.stilltasty.com/

Tupperware fridge smart containers are incredible. I can keep bagged lettuce for weeks without it going bad.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Here is a site I use. Gives how to best store all foods. http://www.stilltasty.com/

Tupperware fridge smart containers are incredible. I can keep bagged lettuce for weeks without it going bad.

Excellent site for all kinds of food.