runners high

Options
For those of you that have ever experienced it, please share! I'm curious as to how far/long you were running.

Replies

• kmel2479
    kmel2479 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Good question, I would really like to know this as well!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Not sure how others experience it - for me it's not a sudden "oh wow, I'm high!" feeling...It's just a great, content, happy, life is good feeling I have after I ran....Never tried to pinpoint how far or how hard I was running.....

And it's different (but not much) from getting "into the zone" and just feel like you can run forever without getting tired....
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have experienced it during runs more often than after....all of a sudden I feel an overwhelming sense of happiness, I find myself smiling as I run ....that is usually the point where I start playing air drums to a song on my ipod, like a total idiot. I've never thought about it too much, but I would guess it most commonly happens to me when I'm about 4-5 miles in to a run.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I have experienced it during runs more often than after....all of a sudden I feel an overwhelming sense of happiness, I find myself smiling as I run ....that is usually the point where I start playing air drums to a song on my ipod, like a total idiot. I've never thought about it too much, but I would guess it most commonly happens to me when I'm about 4-5 miles in to a run.

This.

I always feel good after a run but the whole "high" for me comes during the run. Everything just feels good and I feel like I could run forever. On a long run going well it will be between miles 4-6 or so.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    sara,
    Ever see the hangover?
    images66-2.jpg
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    It happens for me after every run...no matter if I'm running 2 miles or 5 or more...

The feeling of accomplishment is amazing!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    For me it is usually after the run is over...a sense of accomplishment and wonder that I did and that I am still doing something that 18 months ago was in the "never gonna happen" category.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Not sure how others experience it - for me it's not a sudden "oh wow, I'm high!" feeling...It's just a great, content, happy, life is good feeling I have after I ran....Never tried to pinpoint how far or how hard I was running.....

I get this with just about every run over about a mile or so. When I do run that really pushes me - either a longer distance or a faster run - I get a high that's kind of over the top. I get more excitable and talkative and annoying to those around me and can't sit still - like coke.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I experience it a bit different.....

For me it is extremely strong, and very much like a chemical high. It starts with tingling in my hands and feet, a chill in my spine, the hairs on __ stand up, then it just takes over, strong waves of the feeling radiate out of the middle of my back through all extremities. I feel disconnected from the activity that my body is doing and in a state of euphoria/bliss. It only lasts about 30 seconds to a minute, but it is very, very intense.

Music is a very critical factor. I have it happen 3 times now, 2x to Lose Yourself by Eminem, 1x to Run Like Hell by Pink Floyd.

2 of the 3 times it has occurred it did so very near the end of my run, the othe time it was close. The first time I was at 5.98 miles into a 6 mile run, as of yet the furthest I had ever run, it kicked in, I kept going and ended up going 6.22 miles (10K). The 2nd time was the very next time I ran, I was only running 5K, and about 2 miles in the same song came on that kicked it in at the end of my previous run and I got it again, however weaker and it didnt' last as long.

More recently I was entering the final lap of a hybrid session where: I tried to set a PR for a mile run on the first mile, stopped, did a set of pistols with each leg, ran another easy mile, stopped, did a set of pistols with each leg, then ran another easy mile. Going into the final lap the Floyd song came on and it kicked in; not quite as strong as the first time, but close (much stronger than the 2nd). I was at 2.75 miles but much more physically drained given that I started out with a hard mile and did 2 sets of pistols (single leg squats) on each leg during the run.

It is actually fairly similar to a really strong weed high. The part of the high right after smoking that only lasts a short while before it becomes more stoned than high (trying to remember, its been a looong time), that you only get if you weren't previously high. You also would only get this sort of high from really good weed, schwag would never give this sort of high, moving you straight along into the stoned stage. The memory in me that connects these two highs is coming home from an exam (in college) and smoking to celebrate the end of it, at midday.

It is hard to describe, but it is literally nothing like what others are describing, happeness and whatnot. It is like how an orgasm is explained in American Pie, there is no mistaking it; if you think you may have had it you haven't. And IMHO the runners high I experience is much, much better than an orgasm.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    still searching. I'll even take a contact high.
  • tammy1005
    tammy1005 Posts: 62
    Options
    It's the best feeling! you actually feel a high. I had it for the first time about a month ago when I ran 5 miles for the first time. You will know it when it happens
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think I feel it most during my runs. When I'm cruising along at a good speed at a comfortable heart rate without a single feeling of pain from exertion whatsoever it is so AWESOME. My mind gets ridiculously clear and everything around me starts to look vibrant. I start smiling to myself, lol.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    sara,
    Ever see the hangover?
    images66-2.jpg

Lol!!!!!
  • Kaylaj21
    Kaylaj21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just started Running/jogging (C25k) and after every run i feel a wonderful feeling i guess you can call that a high, and i normally run about 3-5km when doing the C25k...
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Runner's high doesn't happen during every run and it doesn't really matter the distance. The feeling is like I could run forever and its almost as if I am disconnected from my body. Typically, I feel my feet hitting the ground, various aches/pains, muscles working but when I'm experiencing a runner's high I don't feel anything. Also, it doesn't last long- not sure how long but not a whole run and not often maybe every couple of weeks or so. Now, after every run I experience a rush or endorphins and energy.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    For me, those amazing endorphins usually kick in on medium length runs.... so I'd say 6-9 miles is where i most frequently get the so-called runners high.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When I used to run, in the good old days, it would happen at about 5 miles and I felt zoned out & "timeless" -- hard to explain.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    omG a runner's high? I get it as soon as I get on the track. It starts building though, before I get on the track...when i'm getting ready and getting my whatever chores done. But once I set my foot on the track, this big sigh of relief comes over me and when I start moving forward it's like everything is perfect and time should stop right where it is. I wish I could just run forever...but I can't obviously. Time keeps moving and unfortunately I gotta stop. But the high stays with me for a good few hours, then I start working towards my next run :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It's the best feeling! you actually feel a high. I had it for the first time about a month ago when I ran 5 miles for the first time. You will know it when it happens

Yes, is it kinda like I described it for you?

Most people's descriptions aren't even in the ballpark of what I experience. I've done my fair share of drugs in the past, the runners high I get is every bit as powerful as any of them. Feelin good about yourself for exercising; endorphins, is not what I am talking about at all.

You absolutely know it when it happens, it is unmistakable, an unforgettable experience.

Chatting with other runners though, I think a fairly small % of runners have ever experienced it, and many of those that haven't think that it is a myth, especially long time runners that have never experienced it. Many that have experienced it have only experienced it a handful of times in their life.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Must be your experience with drugs - not the running, cause what you describe sounds a lot closer to an orgasm than my piddly little experience of a runners high...:bigsmile: I've never done any drugs, so I suppose that the reason for the sub standard experience...:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Will just keep enjoying the stupid happy face feeling I have right now after a 40 min run in the sunshine!:drinker: