High Calorie Burn Exercise and getting enough calories?

Options
davidlbass
davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
I am supposed to be on maintenance but having a hard time eating enough to make up for what I am burning in exercise. Usually burn 700 - 1000 calories on weekdays and twice that on weekends. I am now down 10 lbs lower than I really want to be and have had several people comment I look emaciated.

My question is, how do I get enough calories without eating straight out of the sugar bowl? I eat till I am full but don't want to gorge myself every night. My wife says I look emaciated and my daughter compares me to the holocaust victims. Tonight I ate two tortillas slobbered with grape jelly just trying to get my calorie intake up and I am still 800 calories short.

FYI, I am 6 foot and 165 which is fairly high in my ideal weight range, just don't have any body fat anymore. I also feel great, best I have felt in years.

Replies

• annmarwor
    annmarwor Posts: 7
    Options
    It's hard to answer this without knowing what you eat every day. Could you increase your protein, fat and carb intake? Are you eating every 2 hours? I am assuming there isn't a medical condition which is causing your "emaciated" look?

Gorging yourself might not be the answer to this riddle and I might say that using sugar to increase your caloric intake will probably turn you diabetic, :)

Can you give an example of what a daily meal plan looks like for you?
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options
    Proteins and nuts are a great way to add calories to your diet and will help to fuel those massive workouts. You might really consider eating a serving or two of almonds or other nuts each day, or a serving or two of peanut butter You can pack a lot of calories into a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter (or almond butter, cashew butter, sun butter...whatever you like best!). Sugar really won't do much except affect your blood sugars and that won't help you. But increasing fats to get more calorie intake is very helpful. And if you've lost 10 extra pounds without trying, I'd venture to guess that your daily calorie goals are still much below your maintenance level should be, so you'll need to eat bigger portions and add some fats to your diet like peanut butter, milk, yogurt, pudding, etc.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i had a look at today's diary.

you could add 3-4 eggs to your breakfast mixed with a little ground beef or ground turkey

for lunch you can add an avocado or a little side salad with grilled chicken

for snacks you can maybe add in a protein smoothie made with 100% milk, protein powder and some fruit
  • davidlbass
    Options
    I usually have oatmeal or cheerios for breakfast for the oats thing for my cholesterol which is no longer a concern. I could add eggs but I have found if I eat a protein breakfast I'm not real hungry at lunch.Lunches are usually light, cottage cheese, yogurt and a banana. Yesterday I had chocolate chip cookies because I ran out of fruit and they have more calories. I may have to start eating more there. I don't like to eat too heavy because I get drowsy in the afternoon. I'm thinking about the protein shake in the afternoons as a possible source of calories and protein. Supper is usually meat and vegetables. Last night was beef kabobs on the grill and roasted corn. The wife is still on her diet and I don't want to eat a bunch of stuff she can't have. Nuts might be good. Hadn't thought of that one.

So guess I will throw in a high protein shake in the afternoon and nuts at night. And then just increase my other meals. I'm a little paranoid about ending up where I was a year ago but guess I am going to have to do it and continue to track till I get this all worked out.

Thanks.
  • bryansaums
    bryansaums Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been making a really good shake in my magic bullet:

1 cup soy milk (I'm lactose intolerant--use milk if you want)
    1 cup blueberries and/or strawberries and/or bananas--frozen
    Chocolate or vanilla pudding mix to taste and creaminess (I use about 2 tablespoons)

This is about 190 calories...and now you can add your favorite protein powder (a good cheap one is instant milk--but that ain't for me!)...plus you can add a shot of vodka or 35% alcohol vanilla extract or bourbon to the mix if you want to sin a little (warning: you must be over 21 for the sin part).

So with the additions, you're up to an easy 400 calorie ingestion.

BTW, my dietician loves this mix...and I only put a shot in it once in a blue moon...this is a great post workout snack and easy way to pound some calories.
  • yallcallmedeb
    yallcallmedeb Posts: 294
    Options
    Look for more calorie-dense foods and start replacing your low-calorie foods with their higher calorie counterparts. For example, instead of egg beaters, use real eggs. Instead of low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese, go for a 2% or 4% fat variety. The idea to have snacks of nuts is great. Use a higher calorie bread with lots of grains and nuts. Peanut butter is a great one. Look for a higher calorie cereal. Granola and Grape Nuts come to mind. The portion size is very small for double the calories of cheerios. Change from skim milk to a higher fat content milk. There is a high calorie yogurt from Whole Foods but it is quite expensive. I have found that it's hard to get a yogurt for over 160 calories. Just make sure that you aren't eating a 60 calorie yogurt! Good luck!
  • bryansaums
    bryansaums Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try eating eat two lunches, not one. I eat meals at:

Breakfast: 7 am (600 calories)
    Lunch #1: 11 am to 1 pm: (600 calories)
    Lunch #2: 3 or 4 pm (300-400 calories)
    Dinner when it happens (800-1,200 calories)

If you plan for two lunches and call them both LUNCH you won't eat junk and you'll be fueled to rock your after work workout. With a little slop here and there (an extra scoop of hummus or bite of honey) I get it up to 3,000 calories/day.

I shoot for a balance of carbs, protein and fat in every meal. I shoot for moderate glycemic index foods before workouts or during long workouts to avoid bonking. Yes, my dietician keeps harping on the post workout protein heavy meal...so that's about 200 calories if it isn't a scheduled meal (see my other post on my recovery drink)

I'm 6'1" and at 180 lbs...I'm at about 16% body fat...The goal is to drop just a couple of more pounds and then get the body fat down to about 11% again (two years ago...before I ate like a moron for 24 solid months and I know better and have pretty good knowledge...sigh...).

One last thing: I try to eat food and not "food products" made in a factory in New Jersey or China...I'm experimenting with soy protein powder (years since I've done that), but I eat fruit and real food when I'm on the bicycle for a long day...and I drink pretty much only water and coffee...liquids are for hydration, not calories or traces of salts like in Gatoraide...a Frankenfood in my humble (OK, arrogant) opinion! :-)

Nancy Clark's SPORTS NUTRITION COOKBOOK rocks! And so does my dietician. You're an endurance athlete with special dietary needs...get a nutritionist to help you and you'll break your personal records consistently and feel great in the process!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    ...my daughter compares me to the holocaust victims.

Somehow I wonder if your daughter has seen many photos of actual Holocaust victims. That is one extreme comparison. Especially since you say that your weight is high for your ideal range.

I personally think it's good to have a little weight gain reserve. Things happen and people overeat.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • davidlbass
    Options
    The two lunches idea might work. Hadn't thought about that.

My daughter can see my ribs is why she compared me to the holocaust victims. Knowing how schools think these days they probably aren't allowed to show pictures of the victims, only describe them.