Water weight???

Options
Hey guys!
When you first lose weight, would that be considered water weight? What exactly is it meant by water weight?
Thanks!!!
Diana :)

Replies

• PulchritudinousLady
    PulchritudinousLady Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Water weight is water retained in and around our cells. When we don't move, we don't sweat. :) Sweating during a work out forces a lot of that excess water out of the body to cool us down. Or, when we eat good food (fibers and such), and stop drinking sodas and/or sugary teas, our bodies ditch the extra water through our feces and urine (I know, gross but true).

The big myth is that we need to keep off the water weight. Unfortunately, having a few extra pounds of water isn't necessarily a bad thing. Without it, we could sweat ourselves into severe dehydration after a work out, suffer constipation, or even shut down our kidneys.

I HATE extra water weight because it throws off my weight loss joys when it increases to high levels. Case in point -- I weighed myself a week ago at 134 -- then my Aunt Flo came for a visit and wha-lah, back up to 136! Even my jeans are tighter. I'm trying to cut back on salt and drink lots of water. Drinking more water tells my cells to lay off, we're not in an internal drought, so hopefully I'll be back down to my "new" low weight, or less (I've worked hard enough!).

Hope this helps! Are you having issues with water weight or are you just curious?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    The water weight, I believe, is the water that's retained with glycogen stores in the muscles... when you first restrict calories, your body will immediately go through your glycogen stores - the same energy it would use if you suddenly had to run for a couple of hours or walk for a few hours. With each g of glycogen stored there is x amount of water with it. Some people can store and lose up to 7-8 lbs of glycogen and water as ready energy. That is usually why people who restrict calories lose quite a bit in the first week... you can plow through those reserves in just a few days of normal activity.
  • ddemonch
    ddemonch Posts: 16
    Options
    A big reason I wanted to know is because, when I told my grandmother I lost weight she told me it was just all water weight. It was pretty discouraging.
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    13 pounds of water weight? Don't think so. Maybe HALF that. But I'm a former bulimic and my weight doesn't fluctuate that much, even when I'm in a bad relapse.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    13 lbs is more than water weight on your frame. You may have lost 4 lbs of water and a little energy storage, but probably a good 8-9 lbs of fat... keep going. Don't be discouraged. Once those stores are gone, you will burn the fat... eventually when you shift towards maintenance, you will balance everything out to where you're maintaining at your goal weight WITH the glycogen stores back to full. You're doing great!
  • ddemonch
    ddemonch Posts: 16
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH Ladies!!! :) Youve made my night hah! :) Glad to have a good support :)