What to look for in an entry-level HRM

Options
So I'm ready to buy a HRM....
Anyone have any tips on what i should look for when shopping? I know people speak highly of the Polar line. I'd like pros/cons, features that aren't or are worth the extra money. I'd like to stay under $100 unless it's just an absolutely stellar product that will last me several years and have all the bells and whistles!

Replies

• IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Chest strap kinds are a must :)
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Chest strap kinds are a must :)

They make them without chest-straps? I thought that was how they all came.
  • LatinaPuppyLover
    Options
    a couple of friends recommended the polar ft4, I just ordered it on amazon.com and it was $71.00 dlls free shipping, no tax. At academy was $97 with tax.
    I don't know how it works but check the reviews... I thought it was a good deal so Im gonna give it a shot
  • yepitsjen
    yepitsjen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I tried a bunch of those "fitbit" types of things, including one brand that let you play games and donated money to non-profits for how many steps you walked. It didn't cover my lifting or other cardio, so was essentially useless.

I went to Amazon warehouse deals and got a previously opened Timex HRM called something like "zone in" or something for under $50. It does exactly what I need it to, but was sort of a pain to set up. The chest strap is also sort of awkward if you have to wear an underwire bra, but I like it- it gives me everything I need and tracks my time "in zone" as well as how long I *really* worked out.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    a couple of friends recommended the polar ft4, I just ordered it on amazon.com and it was $71.00 dlls free shipping, no tax. At academy was $97 with tax.
    I don't know how it works but check the reviews... I thought it was a good deal so Im gonna give it a shot
    polar ft4 i love mine, i wear it every workout, it keeps track, it registers highest and lowest heart rate each workout, calories burnt, times it, water proof.....great, i paid 90 on ebay.
  • dellieve
    dellieve Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Following up from the recommendation of ^^, I'd say go the one step higher and get the FT7. I've had fantastic results from it, and it only costs me 107.95 off Ebay delivered.

Chest strap is fantastic, and I've only had one drop out (for about 20 seconds) in 2 months of training.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    1 pointer- don't assume it has the calories burned feature. Some of them don't. Check the reviews on amazon, that's a good info source.

I have the FT4 from Amazon US, but for some reason the FT4 in other markets does not have the cals burned. It's a very motivating feature!
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I came to the forums here to investigate the same question. As far as basic functions go a lot of people have purchased the Polar FT4. So, that's what I bought. I got it on Amazon for 84$ including shipping. AND I LOVE IT!!
  • Terrilmk
    Terrilmk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit which I love but bought the FT 4 Today. Haven't had a chance to use it yet though.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 you wont regret it :bigsmile:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Best Entry level HRM will be Polar... and prob. the FT4 or the FT7. The FT4 and FT7 are basically the same.. the only thing the FT7 does different is record more workouts, allows you to upload data to a computer and tells you if you are in fat burning/fitness mode.

Whatever you do though, please stay far away from the TImex brand HRM's. In my experience and opinion, they suck... The calories burned are notoriously off, and the only thing they are useful for is tracking heart rate.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and really like it
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Best Entry level HRM will be Polar... and prob. the FT4 or the FT7. The FT4 and FT7 are basically the same.. the only thing the FT7 does different is record more workouts, allows you to upload data to a computer and tells you if you are in fat burning/fitness mode.

FT4 also tells you if your in the zone, and how long
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

FT4 also tells you if your in the zone, and how long

The FT4 only tells you if you are in the zone.. It doesn't tell you if that zone is fat burning or fitness like the FT7 does.