help!

Options
Jezebel9
Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
After the birth of my son, my hip joints would sometimes hurt when I walked a lot. I just started running again, and while I am totally excited about how well I did on my run today, my hip joints were giving me some pain. I am not one to push through that kind of pain- did that before and tore my patellar tendon.
Does anyone know of any exercises to strengthen this spot, or have any other ideas about how to manage this pain?
Thanks!

Replies

• FrozenGod
    FrozenGod Posts: 21
    Options
    I would say do low impact exercise's like an elliptical or a gazelle.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough plain water? No pop and your food can play a part as well
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    you may want to ask your doctor about this - when I had the same types of issues- joint pain in my hips, etc, it was DURING my pregnancy, and for a while after. I was told that walking in water (no not on lol) and water aerobics would help, as the impact was making it worse, and that drinking plenty of fluids would also help. AFTER babies were born, and done nursing, I was able to take Aleve or Advil - I have arthritis now though, which will improve with the weight loss, as the extra weight is putting too much pressure on my joints. hope this helps! (also, I don't have a small amount to lose, so talking to your Dr., is probably the best advice)
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Walking with hiking poles will help the hip pain, low impact exercises. Get stronger before you run any more.
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    See a chiropractor!
  • stah_warga
    stah_warga Posts: 1
    Options
    Glad I found this post, I have same situation, it's been 18 months since my c-section and my hip still hurts and my doctors has no explanation. Didn't hurt after my first son which was natural child birth but after my second which was c-section, I wonder if it's related. Let me know if you figure it out, I'm so sick of the pain it's on and off.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sounds like strength training is in order.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    @ stah_warga - both of my boys were C-sections. the pain was HORRIBLE during the second pregnancy, but he was a bigger baby. the first baby was 8 pounds 13oz, the second baby was 9 pounds 11oz. Finn (youngest) is now over a year old, and the pain is gone. just keep with it- but don't OVERDO it, that's when you can have an injury.
  • nafroese
    nafroese Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with hip pain in the past and other things like shin splints. For years I did nothing, blaming it on the pain. I started doing bootcamp and strength training and it has made all the difference in the world! Google search questions on the exact location of the pain. is it in your hip flexor? if so you can do things like the runners pose or stretch which is a fabulous stretch! one of my favorites and funny enough when you use these muscles and stretch them out properly they seem to strengthen! i never expected to run ever again and I have done up to 5 miles at once. Determine whether it is muscle or joint related and then search the proper strengthening exercises and stretches for it! you can do it!!! Don't let it beat you!
  • Catrinaxox
    Catrinaxox Posts: 7
    Options
    Opps, my hubby didn't sign off, this comment is from me not a 36 year old man who has hip issues from having a c-section. LOL
    Glad I found this post, I have same situation, it's been 18 months since my c-section and my hip still hurts and my doctors has no explanation. Didn't hurt after my first son which was natural child birth but after my second which was c-section, I wonder if it's related. Let me know if you figure it out, I'm so sick of the pain it's on and off.
  • Jezebel9
    Options
    I have struggled with hip pain in the past and other things like shin splints. For years I did nothing, blaming it on the pain. I started doing bootcamp and strength training and it has made all the difference in the world! Google search questions on the exact location of the pain. is it in your hip flexor? if so you can do things like the runners pose or stretch which is a fabulous stretch! one of my favorites and funny enough when you use these muscles and stretch them out properly they seem to strengthen! i never expected to run ever again and I have done up to 5 miles at once. Determine whether it is muscle or joint related and then search the proper strengthening exercises and stretches for it! you can do it!!! Don't let it beat you!

Thanks. I will do that. I think strengthening of something is in order, but I don't think it is my hip flexors. I am tota
    lly willing to do exercises to strengthen so I can run better.
    8)
  • Jezebel9
    Options
    Opps, my hubby didn't sign off, this comment is from me not a 36 year old man who has hip issues from having a c-section. LOL

My son was natural birth, except that it was 'back labor' - 36 hours of it. I noticed that it would hurt when I began walking, and would limit the amount of walking/hiking I could do. In time, I could walk more and more but today was my first time running again and I did a mile and noticed it hurting, did another .25 mile and then walked the rest. It has to be something that can be fixed by strengthening. I do believe it is the hip joint, so... I am looking into exercises for that. Thanks.
  • Jezebel9
    Options
    Are you drinking enough plain water? No pop and your food can play a part as well

I live in a fairly arid environment, so I drink a lot of water, more than 64oz a day... and I do not drink pop. My diet is pretty good- mostly raw veggies and fruits, good meats, organic, home-grown and local. Thanks.
  • yepitsjen
    yepitsjen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You might also see a craniosacral massage therapist. After my c-section, I had a ton of problems with my sacroiliac joint, which caused hip and lower back pain that radiated in to my hip. A couple of sessions with the CSMT helped a ton.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about Tae Bo:flowerforyou: