How to get blood out of chicken breast?

Options
Hey guys, when cooking a chicken breast on the stove top, how do you get rid of the blood from the veins? I usually cut up the chicken before and cut out all the bloody parts but it leaves me with no meat. Today I tried cooking the chicken breast whole and cutting it after and there was still blood. Yuck. Any suggestions? I definitely don't want to soak it in salt as I am watching my salt intake.

Replies

• oats4breakfast
    Options
    where are you getting your chicken ?
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    The grocery store. But the chicken breast always have blood and I am super picky with my food.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know this could happen. I've never butchered a chicken though so maybe the supermarket takes care of it
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Interesting. I've never noticed that a chicken breast has so much blood in it that to cut it up, you'd have almost none left. I always try to buy the most natural/organic type too - even if it costs way more.
    It isn't just colored water is it ?
    Is it the cheap stuff that is usually oversized, yellow'ish and often bruised ?
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Cook it thoroughly....if you still see blood, it's undercooked.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    It is just regular chicken breast fillets from the grocery store. They are pink and have bloody veins around and inside the chicken.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Ew. I'd either find a new grocery store with a butcher that knows what theyre doing, or buy the bagged pre-frozen ones. A properly butchered chicken breast should not be like how you described.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe you mean that tough tissue you get. Is it white or actual veins? The red color could be some additive cause I buy organic chicken and never had it be red
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

This! Honestly...I am a cook, we cook at least 80 to 100 lbs of chicken a day. If you cook it until its opaque and shreds easily, its done. They drain the chickens when they slaughter them. Not much if any blood in there.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I am trying really hard to imagine veins in my chicken breasts but I can't do it. =( It sounds like your are buying some poor quality cuts or your have a rather bad butcher in the back of that grocery store.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options

^^ Totally ^^
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    And of you are that picky, soak the breast in salty water for some time.... that should take care of the blood.... but you should really consider address that to your butcher and cook it better ....
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Do they have publix where you are at ? If so, try the greenwise.
    Else, try to find some "Springer Mountain Farms" - or something similar as opposed to the generic/regular found at the grocery store.
    Are there other fresh options ? If so, try something different.
    Your chicken sounds gross or we're all blind :)
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've ever had a bloody chicken breast.
  • nhguy78
    nhguy78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    All meat/poultry is animal muscle fiber. Animal muscle fiber has veins and arteries in it. Typically, they are too small to see. If you see liquid of any sort there will be blood in it but it is so diluted from washing before packaging. What it looks like before cooking should not matter too much what it looks like after cooking. Like others have said: cook until it is no longer pink, preferably at least 165 in the center. This will definitely destroy all blood.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    Nuke it for a little first, then cook it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    at the risk of pointing out the obvious...

it's a lump of muscle! of course there will be a tiny trace of blood in it, even if the slaughter house drain almost all before butchering. of course there will be blood vessels running all through it and some of them may have a trace of blood in them.

'course it might not be blood you are seeing. there's less myoglobin in chicken than in beef, but it's still there.

but you're eating a lump of dead animal. there's going to be fluids.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I simply can't picture this. I only buy cheap chicken breast in value packets, but even when I do I'm not faced with loads of blood. At most, there'll be one small vein that I can just cut off - a tiny thing - and no blood as it's fully cooked.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Ew. I'd either find a new grocery store with a butcher that knows what theyre doing, or buy the bagged pre-frozen ones. A properly butchered chicken breast should not be like how you described.

I agree..double eww. Time to try a different store. I have never seen any boneless, skinless breast like that - I once had a few specks of blood but I easily rinsed it off and then pretended I never saw it so I could never let the thought cross my mind again, especially when eating that batch of breasts. lol Kind of like when you kill a spider in your home and then tell yourself he or she MUST have just wandered in from outside - there really isnt a family of spiders in your house and you dont know where they are..lol