ketosis

Options
Anyone trying this? I am starting today and I am looking for support and others who are doing it.

Replies

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you're doing low carb? or what...?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Anyone trying this? I am starting today and I am looking for support and others who are doing it.

Curious as to your rationale for starting a keto diet.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    so atikins ehe?
  • bondavbriwil
    bondavbriwil Posts: 62 Member
    Options

No, I believe its fasting or starvation. Ive heard its a way to get your body to use fatty acids rather than glucose. Something like that.

OP Good luck with it. Its not my thing though.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful if you would give some insight into why and how you are doing it, and what research you have done.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options

No, I believe its fasting or starvation. Ive heard its a way to get your body to use fatty acids rather than glucose. Something like that.

OP Good luck with it. Its not my thing though.

Where the heck did you get that idea? There is no fasting or starvation required to get into ketosis. It depletes your glycogen stores and starts burning fat for fuel so you got a bit of it right but the starvation and fasting part is just a hoot.

Some people who are carbohydrate intolerant or insulin resistant find this works well, for others it doesn't work at all. Even though I try to keep myself there for medical reasons I don't recommend it to anyone who does not have a medical reason to do so.

OP if you want support for this lifestyle these boards are not the place to get it. Find a keto or low carb group.

Edited to add that your mileage may vary with a ketogenic diet. I started getting really serious about changing my health in Oct 2011 at 285 and I am at 215 right now. My loss has stalled since I've come here but I'm pretty sure its mostly because of the fact that I've started working out 2 hours a day trying to build muscle.
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I'm in ketosis. Love low carb!! I've had nice success- lost 57 lbs since December and counting. Do what you you'd like.. its your diet. There are some low carb haters around here who will tell you its bad for you, it doesn't work, etc. Like I said- I love it and I won't ever go back to lots of carbs.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Theres also a website ...google : low carb friends.
  • robert_rau
    Options
    Racheal, i think the person is confused. The physiological processes in ketosis and starvation are pretty much the same, the only big difference is you're eating food when on a ketosis diet.

This is some serious misinformation. The body does not break down your own muscles and organs when in ketosis. Ketosis is amazing. Check out www.reddit.com/r/keto for more information.
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    Racheal, i think the person is confused. The physiological processes in ketosis and starvation are pretty much the same, the only big difference is you're eating food when on a ketosis diet.

Highly! I just wanted to make it clear that those of us who are on a ketogenic diet are not starving themselves, I probably eat 3 times the volume of food I did before but it's not loaded with nonsense calories now.
  • RachelsReboot
    Options

This is some serious misinformation. The body does not break down your own muscles and organs when in ketosis. Ketosis is amazing. Check out www.reddit.com/r/keto for more information.

How do you perform exercises or activity at a higher intensity, such as running? You need some carbs to do that? Where do those carbs come from? Glucogenic amino acids, aka muscle tissue. Protein converts 48% to carbs. For every gram of protein you eat you consume .48g of carbs.

Lift weights for 2hrs a day the same muscle group daily, then say muscle tissue doesn't break down on a ketogenic diet.

I am no where near an expert in this field but you know my situation and you know I have a medical disorder, in keeping a ketogenic diet I am able to do cardio daily and I lift 4 days a week. Now until my next scan in May my only measure of whether I am building any muscle or not is the fact that I am able to increase the amount of weights I can lift and increase the intensity of my cardio workouts. If I wasn't depleting muscle and organ tissue wouldn't this be impossible?
  • superstankazz
    Options
    I get so sick of the low carb haters that think they know everything about nutrition and ketosis. Benign dietary ketosis is a completely NATURAL bodily process! And contrary to what a lot of misinformed know-it-alls will say, all calories ARE NOT THE SAME! Some people have metabolic resistance and/or insulin resistance. 100 calories of pasta reacts differently in the blood than 100 calories of protein! Most people cannot process carbs effectively and therefor, the body creates too much insulin and carbs end up being converted to fat cells.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

How do you perform exercises or activity at a higher intensity, such as running? You need some carbs to do that? Where do those carbs come from? Glucogenic amino acids, aka muscle tissue. Protein converts 48% to carbs. For every gram of protein you eat you consume .48g of carbs.

Lift weights for 2hrs a day the same muscle group daily, then say muscle tissue doesn't break down on a ketogenic diet.

ETA: I just wanted to add ketosis just means you're burning a lot of fat, but just half way. To burn a fat molecule you need carbs. Ketosis is just burning fat incompletely.

I don't care what Lyle or anyone else says on this one. You don't need to eat many carbs to be an endurance athlete or lift weights. Sure I wouldn't recommend it to a body builder or an elite runner, but 99% of us are only doing it to feel healthy and have fun. There is a tradeoff between being on a high carb diet where you can't sustain weight loss but have an optimal fuel supply for athletics, and where you have a less optimal fuel supply but find keeping weight low easier.

I'm not exactly ketogenic, but training for a marathon and my carb demands are very low. I'm faster because weighing less was far more important than burning mostly glucose since your body adapts and is able to burn more fat at higher intensities. I haven't suffered any muscle loss since I eat adequate protein and lift weights 2-3 times a week. I'm not getting bigger and stronger either and I'm okay with that because I'm focused on running at the moment.
  • marcer4790
    marcer4790 Posts: 4
    Options
    i need help starting this someone msg me!
  • akangas22
    akangas22 Posts: 9
    Options
    Sick of low carb hating know-it-alls!
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    i have been low carbing and in ketosis for 6 1/2 months -- very successful
    80 pounds gone : )
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    Ive been on Atkins and in Ketosis for 16 weeks and lost 34lbs. I love it.
    Not hungry, not lethargic, not bloated...i feel better than i have in years :happy:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How do you perform exercises or activity at a higher intensity, such as running? You need some carbs to do that?

The liver can produce 200 grams a day of glucose can't it - and you can do that from protein that you eat it doesn't have to cannibalise muscle (or if it did the muscle can be replaced from the protein you eat, balancing it out).

Endurance ? Ask Jonas Colting the Swedish guy covered at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/jonas-colting/

Why would an endurance athlete want to limit themselves to the paltry 2000 calories in carbohydrate stores when they could be keto adapted and have access to a much greater store of calories in their fat.