Any ladies on Mirena IUD?

Options
I've heard some accounts where women blame Mirena for weight gain. I've really struggled to loose weight this last year, I wonder if this could be the reason why.

Anyone else in my situation?

Replies

• ddemonch
    ddemonch Posts: 16
    Options
    Hmm I'm not sure but I have read a lot of accounts where people can't lose weight because of it and some the other way around. I have one myself and I have lost some weight but I've only been at it for a month.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I've lost 43 pounds on it. It hasn't been a problem for me.
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    I've been on it for about 2 1/2 months and have continued to lose weight. It is nothing like birth control pills to me which ALWAYS caused me to gain weight. I love it so far!!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    im on my 2nd one (about 7 years total now), and i had no problems with anything..none of the side affects they said, no weight gain, nothing..but it is birth control, and the hormones do different things to different people
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this myself, as I will be getting it this next month... but what I have noticed is that people like to blame things...

hypothyroidism, yes, it makes it harder... but I have it too and I have managed.
    birth control of any sort.... almost every woman is on one and is either losing or gaining, but its not the pill that DOES it.

I think we all need to own up to it. Anything we add to our body that isnt natural is going to have some affect, either negative or positive. So we either need to work harder, eat less, run more... etc... but you can lose weight, everyone is built for that!
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, the Mirena is less likely to cause weight gain because the hormonal aspect is so low. As another poster said, the response to hormone stimulation is different for everyone. I've not had any problems with the Mirena and the other "side effects" of the Mirena are so worth it I'll never go back to another birth control.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I didnt gain weight using it, but it definitely stalled my weight loss efforts. I had it removed after only 15 months as it gave me CRAZZEEE mood swings
  • da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    im supposed to get one installed in the next couple of weeks during another surgery (two birds, one stone so to speak!) slliiigghttly freaking out as ive been on the pill for 10 years and this is my first implantation device..
  • brittanymt19
    brittanymt19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just get one and i been able to lose weight.I think it depend on the person.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I am on it. It isn't meant to cause weight gain, or so the current research states. But what I have found is that I have had an increase in appetite which is what contributed to my weight gain. It doesn't seem to be hindering my weight loss though. :)
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    I'm on it. I was so worried at the beginning because of all the horror stories I read online but I haven't had a problem weight gain wise, I haven't been losing recently but maintaining with busy college life but I drop at a decent rate once I'm back in the gym.
  • niksinnotts
    niksinnotts Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i have one and wouldn't change it!!!, i also heard the stories but honestly it doesn't seem to make a difference to me, i am losing weight steadily now that i am eating better and exercising, my weight gain was entirely my own fault, but everybody is different:smile:
  • Snuggles5
    Snuggles5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had one for 5yrs just gotten it taken out in febuary this yr but I didn't bother my weightloss still was able to lose weight but you know everybody body is different just watch your calories n sodium n carbs hope this help xoxoxo
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I had my first mirena in 2005
    Second one in 2010

In 2010 I did weight watchers 17 weeks in Id lost 35lbs I had my mirena removed as it expired on 5th anniversary I had a new one I stuck to plan still 100% still walking a lot and Zumba 6 times a week and it took me 23 weeks to lose just another 22lbs
    I hadn't had one gain or stay the same weight for 17 weeks after mirena I had 2 gains 5 weeks apart of 3.5lbs and sts
    I was 100% through all the 40 weeks

I regained 42lbs in 2011 as tore my knee ligaments Dec 2010

I started on here 24th Jan this year I've lost 26kbs and 19.5 inches in 16 weeks I'm
    42, this is the slowest I've lost weight

I know mirena first year your weightloss is effected but after that it settles
    I wouldn't be without mine no bleeding no tummy pains just abit of pmt and retention

x
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have had a Mirena for nearly 12 months and I have lost 38 lbs. I can honestly say it is one of the best things I have done - it has changed my life.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    This is actually the number one question asked by all of our patients (I work for an extremely large provider network) - will birth control cause problems with weight-gain/loss.

The problem is, whether high or low - each person will react differently. I dont have an IUD, but I take Ocella (generic of Yasmin) and I lost my first half-bundle of weight without any problems whatsoever.

What you will find is that the efficacy can be greatly affected when you take antibiotics, constantly drink alcohol, or if you have been diagnosed with conditions that are greatly affected by horomonal therapies.

Anything outside of that, there isnt any reason for a woman not to be able to lose weight (hopefully done the right way) while currently using an IUD or prescribed an oral BC method.

By the way, Mirena (a little FYI/quasi-fun fact) is not always recognized as a covered medical benefits, most insurances observe the IUD as a prescription benefit - so make sure you check with your insurances about how it is handled!

8-)
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have one - its has been brilliant at reducing my flow. I gained some weight when I got it - not sure if it was because of it tho. That weight I have lost now. My cycles havent entirely settled yet but I find it a v good solution. I am having some complications but hope they can be sorted and I can keep my mirena
  • JDKD82199
    JDKD82199 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am about to get my second Mirena put in as the first 5 years is coming to an end. I have had no problem with gaining or losing weight related to it. The hormones in the Mirena are localized and supposedly only a tiny amount ends up in the blood stream. I have been extremely happy with it.
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just had one implanted yesterday to help with endometriosis. I really hope I can continue to lose weight :) Well once have recovered from the surgery anyway!
  • MissLexiLoo
    MissLexiLoo Posts: 43
    Options
    I had the IUD and from the time it was put in, i had pain shooting from my right lower side into my knee. Five months later my knee's hurt so bad I had to start popping them through out the day. After 6 months, I had it removed. I couldn't take it anymore! I bleed for 3 weeks straight every 2 weeks, my weight loss came to a total stop. I hated that thing!!! It usually is harder to loose weight while on BC but I thought the mirena would be okay because its a low dose of hormones. I think it really just depends on your body. That tiny little piece of plastic was horrible for me! LOL!!