bike riding?

Options
ddiestler
ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
I'm thinking about getting a bike this summer. We have some awesome bike trails where I live and thought it would be nice to do. Could I count it as exercise? Or at least on days I don't run bike and still burn a little calories?

Replies

• JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I log biking all the time.....Mountain Biking...it's a great work out!

It's hard work especially pulling kids behind you!!!
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    yep biking counts. i bike a lot. this site lets you log it in a variety of ways. up to 10mph, 10-12mph, 12-14mph, 14-16mph, and above. have fun!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I ride centuries and burn over 4000 calories in about 6 hours. I count that :)
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    No matter what bike you get. If you are going to be biking a lot. Get a seat that fits YOU! Make sure you like the seat padding too.
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    I bike often when I'm at home and I most certainly count it as exercise here on MFP. Enjoy it!
  • yourfriendchuck
    yourfriendchuck Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Heck Ya! I started mountain biking back in October and I have found it to be a fun way to get moving. I ride an average of 30-50 miles a week. I've lost 50 lbs so far. Just purchased a second bike yesterday to ride on the street and I am registering for a triathlon in August so I'll need it for that.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I log it all the time, get a bike and do it, it's just amazing fun and bonus is you get the workout and your burning lots of calories.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Of course!
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love biking and I log it all the time ^^ It is WONDERFUL cardio and I really lost inches on my thighs by biking in the summer! I highly recommend it! I actually biked today for 40 min and logged 398 calories =)

Edit: <- My picture is of me posing on a biking trail, and I still have my helmet on haha
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    of course.. i want to get a mountain bike so baddd ... maybeee soonn... i ride my stationary bike almost every day 30 minutes+.... excellent burn
  • Freedom_Frog
    Options
    Bike riding is still a great source of burning calories. I do it every day to and from work in the morning, at lunch, and to home after work (I eat lunch at home). I do this in conjunction with my workout routine and according to MFP I burn around 1000 calories daily. Biking is a good alternative if your looking to shake things up but you will see better results quicker from running/jogging. If your looking for a real good workout thats full body and low impact I recommend swimming. It is one of the absolute best forms of cardio plus, no sweat :)
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I run 3 days a week 3.5-4 miles per run. On non run days I elliptical, walk, or swim. I've really come to enjoy physical activity..I love being outdoors on a nice day, and going for a long bike ride on our amazing trails seems fun. Not to mention what a great way to get in some good family time with my kids!

I plan on getting a mountain bike.I don't want to purchase a super expensive one..does it matter what kind I get as long as I get a comfortable seat??? LOL
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I love to bike when the weather is nice. I bike almost every day; it's now my cardio after weight-lifting. My mountain bike's a Trek.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It definitely counts! Biking at a fast pace is really good exercise! If the weather is good biking is a major component of my cardio.

I ride a Trek hybrid that is one above entry level in that category, I think. Kind of a good starter bike, but not easily outgrown. I spent $500-$600 on my bike a year ago. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made. No exaggeration.

I also have a Trek mountain bike I really like, but I've found that I prefer pavement. :)
  • Rohnic
    Rohnic Posts: 82
    Options
    the bicycling is pretty much the only exercise I get, and since I increased it (motivated by mfp) I can tell a huge difference (butt and legs).
    You don't have to get an expensive one, go to a specialized store and have them give you advice on what suits you best (it doesn't mean you have to buy it there).
    Important is, that you adjust it right, have someone help you with that too. Wrong adjusted bikes can lead to backpain for example.
    As a woman the handlebar should be above the seat, or else you could numb sensitive regions, sounds funny, but apparently there have been studies to the subject and you're better off with a higher handlebar, LOL.
    Have fun and ride safe!
  • Pandalicious
    Options
    I love going for long bike rides and always log them, I mean hey, it's exercise and it burns calories so why not log it? :)
  • Freedom_Frog
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I run 3 days a week 3.5-4 miles per run. On non run days I elliptical, walk, or swim. I've really come to enjoy physical activity..I love being outdoors on a nice day, and going for a long bike ride on our amazing trails seems fun. Not to mention what a great way to get in some good family time with my kids!

I plan on getting a mountain bike.I don't want to purchase a super expensive one..does it matter what kind I get as long as I get a comfortable seat??? LOL

It definitely changes the experience based on the bike you have. I have a 18 speed mountain bike and it great and all but I've always feels like it fighting me. I tried out my friends road bike and that fight lessened significantly. I however recommend I hybrid. They give you the best of both worlds, more stability and less resistance. Getting a comfortable bike is all based on how you feel on each one so I can't really help you there although I recommend getting a gel seat cover for your seat because your butt is not going to be uses to riding a bike again and it will be sore for a bit.