No Staying Power

Options
Hi all, I'd like to say that I'm new to MyFitnessPal but as I discovered it and created an account I found much to my surprise I had in fact discovered it before - twice as I had 2 existing accounts.

Seems to be the story of my life. I am 37 years old, married without kids and living in Toronto, Canada. I am trying to be a recovering workoholic but I'm not particularly successful. My biggest downfall is that I don't cook. I know how but I don't really have time and don't like doing it. My second biggest downfall is my husband who is 6"3" and 160 pounds fully dressed; his idea of a light snack is a pepporoni pizza.

I have tried Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Dr. Bernstiens, Atkins, South Beach and a number of other mainstream diet/fad but I never stick to anything. Once I fall of the wagon I tell myself I've fallen off the wagon so I should eat what I want before I climb back on...I don't usually climb back on.

I hve discovered that I am motivated by not letting other people down. Maybe not the healthiest motivation from a psychological perspective but if it works, in this case, I'll use it. I thought if I logged in here and made friends then I would think twice about cheating or skipping exercise. Let's see if it works!

K.

Replies

• RichardCMolloy
    RichardCMolloy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. With me, I have found out a few months ago that letting people support me has helped. I have also found that by letting you all see my weight & how much I eat also helps me.

I so wish that I could have a "light snack is a pepporoni pizza"...I don't think that I like your husband very much lol jk :)
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    You need to motivate yourself from withing. Until you do this you will never succeed unfortunately.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'll be friends if you like. I cook every night (I'm retired and have the time) but understand that it's not for you. "Keep on keeping on" is the way to do it, getting back on the wagon before it rolls over the horizon.
    Monica's right though - you have to get your head arranged before you can lose weight, it has to be because YOU want to. This is the moment and today's the day!
  • ToyinR
    ToyinR Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'd like to say that I'm new to MyFitnessPal but as I discovered it and created an account I found much to my surprise I had in fact discovered it before - twice as I had 2 existing accounts.

Seems to be the story of my life. I am 37 years old, married without kids and living in Toronto, Canada. I am trying to be a recovering workoholic but I'm not particularly successful. My biggest downfall is that I don't cook. I know how but I don't really have time and don't like doing it. My second biggest downfall is my husband who is 6"3" and 160 pounds fully dressed; his idea of a light snack is a pepporoni pizza.

I have tried Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Dr. Bernstiens, Atkins, South Beach and a number of other mainstream diet/fad but I never stick to anything. Once I fall of the wagon I tell myself I've fallen off the wagon so I should eat what I want before I climb back on...I don't usually climb back on.

I hve discovered that I am motivated by not letting other people down. Maybe not the healthiest motivation from a psychological perspective but if it works, in this case, I'll use it. I thought if I logged in here and made friends then I would think twice about cheating or skipping exercise. Let's see if it works!

K.

I read this and this is basically my life story, I'm really commited for a few weeks but then fall off...i also give up really easily if i don't see results quickly! I don't have anyone to diet with so I too was hoping to find friends to get encouragement from and support if I have a few too many at the weekend:drinker:
  • hunny73
    hunny73 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    "No Staying Power" Me tooo!! Trying to get back on the wagon after 3 months off........feel free to add me :)
  • Beautiful_Ideal
    Beautiful_Ideal Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Your husband sounds like my husband, but mine is a buck forty and 5'8. Of course he still eats whole pepperoni pizzas. I've found that this makes keeping a diet an interesting endeavor :)

I am getting back on the wagon after almost a year of falling off. And I'm doing better than ever! If you're here for me I'm here for you! Let's be friends and see what crazy shenanigans our SOs get to shove down their throats while we silently (or not so silently) "hate" them from behind a plate full of veggies. :)

And as for the naysayer telling you that you'll never accomplish your goal? Things happen little by little, and she's changing something about her commitment by reaching out. How well do you know her from the one post you read about her, and what about telling people that they'll never achieve their goal gets you off, exactly?

Pack away the negativity. You're not being part of the solution.
  • honeyb7
    honeyb7 Posts: 45
    Options
    I would love to be your friend and offer support! Many of us have written the same story Hunny73 so we have been there done that!
    I have some tips that I would love to share!
    You can do this!
    The other Honeyb7:laugh:
  • tstead0123
    tstead0123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i had 2 accounts to, but now have deleted one and have started a fresh on here yesterday with absoloute determination, to get there once and for all, i would love to be your friend so that we can support each other along the way :smile:
  • chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I might do great for a while but one slip, and one day when the numbers on the scale go up instead of down, and it's over. It's hard to keep going when it's so hard to lose and so damn easy to gain. I'm new here and it seems like a great place, everybody has been so supportive so far. Good luck on your journey!
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd time on MFP. I also fell off the wagon after a very good success story! And here I am, heavier than before!

Feel free to add me and I will try to help motivate you :)

With the food thing, I have found the biggest success is making things in advance. I take a salad to work with me for my lunch every day. I make 5 portions on a sunday, and then just have to pull one a day out the fridge and take it.

My boyfriend is also of the opinion that he does not need to diet I will not force him, but I will make him the same low cal dinner as me. If he wants to eat extra around this that is his choice.

You will be motivated by logging everything you eat. If you do go out for dinner/get take out make sensible choices. Nandos is a great place to go eat a low cal meal. You just have to think about what you are ordering. Sometimes I get MFP out and see how many calories are in the meals before ordering them.

You can do it and still have a life! :)
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.

My name is Nicola, I'm 36 and I live in Lanzarote, we moved
    here 'cause we only get about 6 days of rain a year.

I love being outside but want the body to take advantage of it.

I can't bring myself to run but I do love going to the gym.

I'm 25lbs lost with a goal of 68. I'm LOVING MFP.

Good luck
    Nicola x
    (I also find having people who can look at what you're doing
    a great motivator as they also know what you're going through)
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    wow just hoping you all can stay focused. I'm finding that after a year on MFP I'm ready for another level and am joining a gym. so I guess it's the opposite for me. good luck peeps
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Perhaps this time around you might want to consider approaching it from a different mindset. Instead of "being on a diet" think of it as changing your lifestyle to one that is healthier. For me anyway, "being on a diet" is a negative whereas changing to a healthier lifestyle is a positive.

Just a thought.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Hi, there ........ think of this as a lifestyle change ....... you'll slowly recondition your mind & body ....... we're all capable of more than we think we are ....... so, push yourself ........ you might be surprised this time !

Happy losing !
  • keaani34
    keaani34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Welcome back and good luck!