exercises for the bed ridden/house bound?

Options
da_sammit
da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
ive been bed ridden and house bound due to doctors orders and pain for the past two months. and its probably not going to let up soon because im booked in for explorative surgery in the next month..

question is: what exercise can i do?? the pain is in my lower belly/left leg so it cant be heavy lifting unless im sitting but im all good for getting my heart rate up. any ideas???

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    what is the surgery for?

what is the problem with your leg, can you still use it?
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    low impact. im a trainer, i get this question a lot. arm circles, punches. light hand weights or tins of food, hold above your head. if you caan walk, up and down the stair that will work wounders. if not stand in place and march slowly. maybe even try getting hold of a cheap portable arm bike. sit in bed and peddle the arms.....
  • da_sammit
    Options
    can still use the leg, its just sore and numbish in places.. the main bothersome pain is in the lower left of my tummy. bending is hard and i get exhausted from it pretty quickly.

the surgery is to work out why im in so much pain. was hospitalised because of it about 2mths back and they pumped me full of drugs, scanned me and sent me home with 3wks of antibiotics that did nothing.

i just need to keep my body moving, im starting to feel like im becoming part of the furniture. i get up from bed and move to a chair where i stay until i get up to go to bed again. i have a HRM so i can track if i do some exercise (lately ive been tracking my housework since i have done NOTHING that i normally do)
  • kim8184
    kim8184 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know if you go to Amazon, they have chair workouts. Don't know if this is something you can do, I would definitely speak with your doc about it. What kind of restrictions are you on, I mean other than the obvious? Just start slow what ever you decide to do. Hope this helps, Kim.
  • nofatpants4me
    Options
    since you don't yet know what the problem is, I would be very hesitant to take the advice of anyone who does not know your condition. Have you asked your doctor if it is okay to exercise? That would be my first step. Then ask if there is anything that would be absolutely not a good idea.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    pretty much what amy said regarding the information that we/you have
  • da_sammit
    Options
    amy- thank you!!! i can do all that!! will give it a go!

and the only limitations put on me by my doc was "rest up, exercise but dont be an idiot.. if it hurts you, stop doing it!"
  • maryannb53
    maryannb53 Posts: 1
    Options
    Do a Google search under "bed exercises' and "exercises for bedridden". Will guide you to lots of You Tube videos also.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    low impact. im a trainer, i get this question a lot. arm circles, punches. light hand weights or tins of food, hold above your head. if you caan walk, up and down the stair that will work wounders. if not stand in place and march slowly. maybe even try getting hold of a cheap portable arm bike. sit in bed and peddle the arms.....

Also...google Isometrics.