Weighing/Measuring... How often?

Options
Does anyone have any advice on the normal amount of time between weighing yourself and measuring? I don't want to be excessive, but I also don't want to wait too long to check my progress. Any support you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• lwyz_smln
    lwyz_smln Posts: 46
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice on the normal amount of time between weighing yourself and measuring? I don't want to be excessive, but I also don't want to wait too long to check my progress. Any support you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:
  • bigred1
    bigred1 Posts: 31
    Options
    what ever is good for you.i check my wt every 2 or 3 days.good luck:smile::smile:
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    I WEIGH ON FRIDAYS (BEFORE THE WEEK-END:bigsmile: ) AND MEASURE ABOUT EVERY TWO WEEKS.
  • Sun-Shine
    Sun-Shine Posts: 46
    Options
    I think everyweek or two is good, but who am I to talk? I weigh myself like every day! I really try not to, I even have my scale put away, I just get it out every day. Oh well, good luck!
  • lwyz_smln
    Options
    :wink: Thanks so much. I really like the Friday idea... kinda like a gift to yourself (well only if it's good news of course ~ otherwise I don't think I'd want that gift) :laugh:
  • natashav
    natashav Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    they say your supposed to do it every week same day same time but i do it every other day :wink:
  • ladylaycee
    ladylaycee Posts: 114
    Options
    I would weigh in every two weeks, cause if you weigh yourself too much and don't see any progress, you might give up!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I say 2 weeks. Seriously, your body fluctuates a lot every day so even every few days is going to be less accurate. Even at 2 weeks your sample should be no less then 3 so that you can average them out. If you lose weight after 1 weigh in, it could be water or just normal fluctuation, if you are still losing weight after 3, 2 week periods, you can be pretty sure you are actually losing weight.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every sunday (though I missed last sunday for personal reasons :grumble: bad week) and measure every other sunday :bigsmile:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday morning, after I do all of my 'business' :wink: and before I get dressed for the day and have my breakfast. Pretty much I weigh myself almost as soon as I have awoken. It is a nice little routine and one that kind of scares you into doing well over the weekend when you know you have a Monday morning weigh-in.

Good luck.

Oooh as for measurements... I personally would do once a month to get that shock bang for your buck kind of moment,
  • fit_amy
    fit_amy Posts: 41
    Options
    to heck with the scales! I'm just measuring my progress by how good I feel after a hard workout and how baggy my pants are getting! I'm happy to retire my 'fat pants'! Today I wore pants to work that I haven't touched in about a year!! :flowerforyou: yay!
    I'm going to rely on my body fat instead, as far as quantitative measures go. It was measured 2 and a 1/2 months ago at OBESE (yah I knew I was pudgy but geez...) even though my weight is AVERAGE!! yikes! In another couple of months I'm going to go back and have my body fat calculated again. I guess I'm afraid of the numbers and don't want to sabatoge myself if it's not a big change--that's why I'd recommend less frequent measurings/weighings/testings.
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    I weigh weekly and measure monthly.... measuring monthly is awesome, because you can really see results that way.

Sometimes if I've either been really bad or really good, I might weigh more often, because when it's a good result, it really motivates me.

You just have to decide to carry on if it hasn't moved and looked towards tomorrow. 3500 calories to burn one pound of fat is what I'm told..... not sure if that is accurate or not. I try to keep that in mind too.
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    every 2-4 weeks
  • lwyz_smln
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your advice.... Mondays definately make more sense now... fridays I think you'd think you're homefree to splurge over the weekend... at least for me! :happy:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I am a once a monther.
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I weight a lot, and for me,it helps. I don't weigh every day, but sometimes I'll weigh 3 times just in one day.

I tried waiting a week before, and I got on the scale and had GAINED a pound! It was so depressing. Then i weighed myself 6 hours later and was 2 lbs less!

So now, I don't let one number bum me out. If I decide to weigh myself, I'll weigh morning, afternoon, and before bed to get an idea of how much I really weigh that day, because I've found that I fluxuate througout the day A LOT. especially when i'm near my period.