Bodybugg vs fitbit

Options
Is it just me or are there TONS more people on here who have purchased the fitbit over bodybugg? How come ? I seldom see bb posts.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Likely reasons:
    1. BB is more expensive than the Fitbit. It's also usually more than it's direct competetion of the BodyMedia Fit.
    2. Many people looking at a BB or BMF choose the BMF because of the price and the BMF website interface. So even folks in that higher priced market have a second option that is a bit more popular.
    3. Fitbit syncs directly with MFP, which makes it easier to integrate the info with the two tools.
    4. Cost of ownership since BB and BMF both require a monthly paid subscription to be able to access the data and the Fitbit is free to use after the initial purchase.

Personally, I have a BMF because I like the additional aspects that are used when calculating the various data points. Just seems like its more accurate and more in depth, but that's just my opinion.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above (I have a bodybugg, which has a horrendous website they want me to pay to use?!?) and I love that it is so accurate. Boyfriend has a fitbit but gains weight when he eats the whole fitbit adjustment. Also, bodybugg/body media fit are more public. You wear it on your arm and people continuously ask about it...

That said, I love my bodybugg, I will probably pay a few months when my sub runs out to get to maintenance. I was having trouble with just mfp because I was always hungry. Turns out I'm more lightly active than sedentary :)
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Gotcha. I just got my bb 10 days ago & I'm not sure about it. Numbers like TDEE are diff than fat2fit radio & fitness frog. Does TDEE change everyday? It's just your cals burned number from the day before right?
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Maybe I need to check that part . Tho I think I'm set to lightly active. Do u get your 10000 steps in a day? If so do u lot that anywhere on here? Like tonite 5000 of mine came from a good hilly hike so I put 30 min hiking. But the rest was from running around stores all day which I don't log, right bc that's my TDEE? If u say right... TaDa ! I think I got it figured out! Yea!!!
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well, I have the fitbit. I've had it for two months and paid the extra 50 dollars for "premium" service so that it tracks my sleep. So, 150 and that's all I've spent. I lost 10 pounds the first month and have been at a standstill every since. Seems how body bugg shows too much and is more expensive, most folks chose fitbit.:smile:
  • kinghavok
    kinghavok Posts: 104
    Options
    I didnt pay any extra for my fitbit and it tracks sleep. Although I am still trying to figure out what is more accurate the cals burned that fitbit says or the elliptical or bike.
  • vjsmith
    vjsmith Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had the Body Bugg and while I appreciated what it did, it was just too expensive and hard to deal with. I had to wear the armband and if I wore short sleeves or a sweater, I had to keep explaining what the bulge was (my friends joked that I was on house arrest). to see my numbers throughout the day, I had to buy the display which came separately and the service to use the thing was $50 every 6 months. If I didn't pay for the service, I couldn't really use the device.

FitBit on the other hand is small and discreet. I can check the display throughout the day to see how I'm doing. The $50 service is optional (meaning you don't have to have it to use the device) and it lasts a year (vs 6 months). I compared the FitBit numbers against some exercises I logged previously using the Body Bugg and the readings were very close.

The ONLY thing I think the Body Bugg has over FitBit is that the FitBit doesn't do a good job of capturing calorie expenditures for exercises that don't result in a lot of movement like cycling (or spinning). It works better if the device is on a waistband or in your pocket for those activities (instead of clipped to a bra or shirt pocket.

Other than that. I love the FitBit! (anyone want to buy a Body Bugg?? lol)
  • achang531
    achang531 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had any success with losing weight using the fitbit?
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I've been using fitbit for 3 weeks and have seen 1lb/week loss.

It did however, take me some time to figure out my proper activity level setting to make MFP match my Fitbit dashboard. Once I got it figured out, the two sites are usually within just a few calories of each other.
  • achang531
    achang531 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I've been using fitbit for 3 weeks and have seen 1lb/week loss.

It did however, take me some time to figure out my proper activity level setting to make MFP match my Fitbit dashboard. Once I got it figured out, the two sites are usually within just a few calories of each other.

Ok I didn't want to get one and then have no luck with losing weight
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i bought the bodybugg and wore it EVERDAY for months. for me it was inaccurate. it gave me an average TDEE of around 2800 cals but i gain 1lb a week eating only 2400 cals. i just recently purchased a polar ft4 so hopefully it works better fore me.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I went with the FitBit because I was put off by the subscription required by the others. The free (non premium) service does sleep tracking. The one down side to the FB is that it is really for walking more than anything. I bought an HRM (FT7) for exercises that the FB doesn't track so well. That would be cycling or any other exercising that doesn't involve stepping as the FB has no way of measuring exertion levels.
  • saxnviolin
    saxnviolin Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have both- prefer the BB. First reason is I'm always worried about losing fitbit and
    prefer the BB armband although it's kind of big. Second, I find it easier to just plug in BB-
    and get data. I had a tough time with the Fitbit program but maybe that's just me.
    BB is very accurate.
  • vjsmith
    vjsmith Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I've been using the Fitbit since late January and so far I've lost 33 pounds (yay).
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

I bought mine when they first came out in Jan. 2010 and lost 35 lbs. the first 6 months.

I had a BB before that. Too expensive, big and I got sick of pulling it off my arm to plug it into the PC to see where I was at. Fitbit synchs wirelessly, plus it has an in-unit display. No, it's not a heart rate monitor but neither is BB. Both do best when you log things like weight lifting and cycling.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I personally use the BodyMedia Fit LINK. I love it because I have access to realtime data from my phone, plus all the tools the website provides. I am not turned off by the monthly sub, but then again I am a data guy. I like to crunch hard data.