Tilapia - Fish Recipes

Options
nkessen
nkessen Posts: 3 Member
Does anyone have a tasty, healthy Tilapia recipe?

I have Salmon, Tilapia, Mahi Mahi, and Perch that I would like to prepare in a healthy manner, so if anyone has anything please respond!

Thank you!

Replies

• TLawson
    TLawson Posts: 4
    Options
    Go to allrecipes.com... they have great recipes and you can enter the ingredients you want and they find a dish that matches!! I got a really great tilapia and vegetable recipe from there just last week. I'm not much of a fish eater but it turned out really great!
  • carlahgay
    carlahgay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I normally don't like fish but I LOVE this tilapia recipe (it is from weight watchers)

http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeId=108291
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am not a cooker all I do is put a little olive oil and broil for 3 min each side.
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My husband makes Tillapia with Artichike hearts, peas, and Green Onions. Lemon on top soooo goood!
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I like to make the Tilapia from the Insanity nutrition book

I tsp olive oil
    2 Tbsp seasoned bread crumbs.

Spread tilapia fillet with olive oil an then top with bread crumbs
    bake for 12 min at 375.

Very good! This is my new way to prepare them.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Rubs & spices are a tasty/low cal way to season fish.

I like here:

http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/index.html

Good luck! :smile:
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Breaded Tilapia (out of the biggest loser cookbook)

3 wasa crisp crackers (crushed into fine crumbs)
    2 TBSP egg substitute ( i use 1 egg)
    3 medium-size tilapia fillets(about 1/4 pound)
    lemon wedges or salsa to taste(optional)

Place the crumbs in a medium shallow bowl. Place the egg substitute in another medium shallow bowl . Dip one tilapia into the egg until it is coated . Then dip into the crumb mixture to coat(there will be some left over) repeat with remaining fillets . Light mist a small nonstick pan with olive oil spray. Place it over medium-high heat until it is hot enough for a spritz of water to sizzle on it . Place the fillets in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes per side then reduce the heat to medium . Cook for 3 to 4 minutes perside or until the fillets flake easily with a fork .. serve immediately with lemon wedges or salsa if desired .

Makes 1 serving

Per serving 188 calories, 27 g protein, 14 g carbs, 3 g fat(less than 1g saturated) 57 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber , 144 mg sodium

I dont particularily like fish but i do love this receipe ... ENJOY:smile:
  • sabbles
    sabbles Posts: 37
    Options
    I use Tilapia and Mahi-Mahi in fish tacos.

spray fish lightly with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper (optional) and lemon or lime juice.
    broil, bake, or grill until cooked.
    break fish with fork.
    place in a whole wheat tortilla
    top with shredded cabbage, avocado slices, salsa, cilantro, fat free or light sour cream, and taco/chipotle/hot sauce.
  • TJFreeman
    Options
    I use Tilapia and Mahi-Mahi in fish tacos.

spray fish lightly with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper (optional) and lemon or lime juice.
    broil, bake, or grill until cooked.
    break fish with fork.
    place in a whole wheat tortilla
    top with shredded cabbage, avocado slices, salsa, cilantro, fat free or light sour cream, and taco/chipotle/hot sauce.

FINALLY! Someone else who does not think fish tacos are disgusting!! Every time I mention them to my family and friends, they get grossed out! I am so happy to have found you!
  • TJFreeman
    Options
    If you like spicy things, try seasoning the fish with Zataran's blackening seasoning. This is a fave of my husband.
  • sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had tilapia last night. Not sure of the calorie count, but it can't be too bad?? I took a tilapia filet, wet it with milk (I used almond, but any milk would work), then dredge both sides in a flour (I used whole wheat), grill seasoning and s&p mixture. Saute in a pan with a little bit of olive oil, 4 minutes one side. Flip it over and put a tbs of freshly grated parmesan cheese on top of the cooked side. Cover skillet and cook the other side and let the cheese melt. Deeeelish!!!!:love:
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    It is good many ways and I hate fish, I have wrapped a fillet in foil with onion, garlic , lemon and pepper and just put it on the grill for about 10 min. I also purchased them in a bag (at Sams) breaded with parmasian and all you do is spray pan on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 mins. Those are 230 calories for one fillet but oh so good.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    hmmm I'm going to try cooking some fish tomorrow, perhaps tilapia or whatever I can find.

My question is how do you choose fish while @ the grocery store? what do u look for in terms of color, texture, etc?

I've never bought or cooked fish in my life so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    I have had great luck with frozen fillets. That way you can have a bag in the freezer for quite a while, and pop one in the oven when you need a quick meal. The "plain" fillets are good (add your own lemon, seasoning, whatever), someone mentioned parmesan fillets from Sam's...I got from Costco tortilla-crusted lime flavored tilapia fillets. They are awesome! 13 minutes in the oven, and the breading is actually crispy! Mmmmm. Only 170 calories.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    hmmm I'm going to try cooking some fish tomorrow, perhaps tilapia or whatever I can find.

My question is how do you choose fish while @ the grocery store? what do u look for in terms of color, texture, etc?

I've never bought or cooked fish in my life so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I was the same till I came here :laugh:

Like the above poster mentioned. I now buy them in a bag frozen, in the bag they are also separated so you can defrost only what you want. I usually buy 2 bags (buy get 1 free :happy: ) I make the whole batch and then place Lunch size portions in the freezer. This allows me to save on Lunch and get my necessary Fish servings per week. :wink:
  • get_wrapped_by_me
    Options
    going to make this right now with some cabbage and northern beans ,THANKS for sharing:)
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I actually just did Tilapia the other night. I very simply got a pan screaming hot then sprayed a light spray of Pam w/olive oil in it, and put the fish down in the pan. On the side facing up I sprinkled Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper. Once the side, that went pan side down, was seared, I flipped it, and sprinkled the Mrs. Dash on that side. I let that side sear off and served. I served it with a baked potatoe and broccoli. How can you go wrong with Tilapia, it was 100 calories and 40g of sodium. Two weeks ago I took the heavy duty aluminum foil and made foil packets with it. I did both Tilapia and Salmon that night. I made a light drizzle of 2 Tbsp of light sodium soy sauce, 2 Tbsp of honey, and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice. I also added some Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper to it and stirred it well. I drizzled just a bit of this in each foil pack and then put a slice of onion and slice of lemon on top of each fish, folded each pack up well, then threw them on the bbq for 25 min flipping once half way through. Yum and the whole family raved about it.