a little help and adivce needed! =]=]

Options
im kayla and i started my weight loss journy about 8 months ago and to this day i have lost 80 something pounds, but im stuck i can walk and walk and walk and exercise my butt off and i am stuck at the number im at! like i cannot lose anymore weight... also how can you get rid of the snacking syndrome? my husband works nights and it seems to me that since he has started his job i just sit on my butt and watch tv and snack... ?? any help or motivators or anything would be really nice and greatly appreciated lol thanks =]=]

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting! >.>

I love love love love love it.

But I can't promise it will actually help you lose weight.

Also, to defeat snacking while watching TV... find an active hobby to replace TV. I'm not saying don't watch it at all... but... just do something that doesn't = sitting on your butt and snacking. And it doesn't even have to be an active hobby. Go out with friends. Play cards. Do something that doesn't trigger the snacking urge.

Lastly, gum. It helps me when I just want something in my mouth.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    #1- gratz on your weight loss!!!!

#2. you could be plateauing, but not knowing what your current stats/calories/exercise routine, its hard to be sure

#3. snacking snydrome could be from habit and/or foods you are snacking on. Simple carb snacks (chips, crakers, etc)
    are notorious for making you feel good immediately, but shortly there after, you find yourself wanting more. I simply avoid
    these types of foods. If you find yourself wanting a snack, ask yourself "am i really hungry?" and if you are, then choose
    a healthier, more satisfying snack of complex carbs and protein. (yogurt, veggies, peanut butter, hard boiled egg, nuts . .)
  • wifenmotherx3
    wifenmotherx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips and advice so far ladies! its been rough to get to this point of my weight loss and it is just discouraging when you see the scale saying the same number for weeks and weeks and you just cant get the thing to move! lol
  • LabRat529
    Options
    thanks for the tips and advice so far ladies! its been rough to get to this point of my weight loss and it is just discouraging when you see the scale saying the same number for weeks and weeks and you just cant get the thing to move! lol

I know. Unfortunately, it's really common to plateau :( Especially after such amazing success. The only thing you can do is... well.. experiment. Try different ways of exercising. Try to eat a different way. And then you've just got to keep waiting... and staying at a calorie deficit. The weight eventually will come off. It just might take forever.

Good luck with everything!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    How much do you eat? Do you eat your exercise calories?
  • wifenmotherx3
    Options
    i dont eat much probably between 600 - 800 calories a day and i burn way over that i the scale still wont move... im going to try some new exercise routines to see if i can get a change =]
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    i dont eat much probably between 600 - 800 calories a day and i burn way over that i the scale still wont move... im going to try some new exercise routines to see if i can get a change =]

You only eat 600-800 calories a day and burn more than that??

That is not healthy at all. You need to eat more. You are just harming your body.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    log your food. log your exercise. follow MFP recommendations after you complete your "goal" registration. if you are "always snacking" but only eat 600 cals a day... that sounds off. unless you are snacking on veggies and berries and don't eat anything else.

snacking at the TV: pick up kniting or embroidery or warhammer painting while you watch tv :P or find a more active hobby if you have the energy for that. choose low cal snacks like veggies or berries, or measure your treats before hand so you know you will be within your cal limit even if you eat all that is in the bowl.
  • lmcww8
    lmcww8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem when I was only eating under 1000 calories a day but burning off way more at the gym... my guess is that you're throwing your body into starvation mode so instead of losing weight, it's storing fat because it thinks it's not going to get enough fuel. My advice would be to start adding in more healthy calories (nut butters, avocado, etc) and work your way up to at least 1200 calories (just an estimate, I'm not sure how tall you are, how active, etc) and see if that helps. Took me awhile to realize that the trick to weight loss is to eat MORE not less and make sure to stay hydrated. Good luck!
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    600-800 calories a day, PLUS exercising and burning more than that??? I am surprised you aren't dead! That is SO bad for you! Sounds like an eating disorder. Seriously, please get help.
  • jadeb94
    jadeb94 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

You only eat 600-800 calories a day and burn more than that??

That is not healthy at all. You need to eat more. You are just harming your body.

Agreed, youre basically starving yourself by doing this and making your body want to hold onto and store every single extra calorie it can get.
    It seems a little scary, but try eating more, I know when I first tried it I was so scared I would gain weight, but you could seriously damage your body doing what you are now.
    A common way to get past a plateau is by eating more and less on alternating days, for example MFP tell me to eat 1200 cal per day, so I would maybe eat 1000 one day, then 1400 the next, so it averages out to roughly 1200 per day, but it does something to your body to make it get past the plateau (I won't pretend I know exactly what happens haha)
  • callmecaptain
    Options

If you are eating too little your body goes into starvation mode and will start eating your muscle instead of your fat reserve. Which is why you will start craving snacks and feeling low energy. When your body is low on energy it craves sugars and carbs which give you a short bust then make you crash and burn.

The best way to combat this is up your calories and start a strenth training. If you start building muscles it will start to shape you and muscles burn fat faster than any cardio will plus you will start feeling more energy and you will get hungry if you muscles start needing to eat but don't feed them too much and they will start to burn that extra weight off.

I know this because I have been right where you are at right now. Not just advise of someone who studied this but lived it.

Hope that helps....
  • callmecaptain
    Options

By the way, Throw that scale out in the garage and hide it for about a month or more. When you change your routine you may gain weight but it doesn't mean it's bad, Remember: muscle weighs more than fat but can burn fat faster than any routine.

Once you lose a lot of weight it will come off slower because the bulk is always easier to get rid of. It comes off slower when you get closer.

As a side note, I have been doing the Butt Bible and it is really toning everything and you can move up to the next level when you are ready.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    AAaaahhh. Well, the low calorie intake is part of your problem. I agree with those who say you should eat more.

Very low calorie diets (and 600 to 800 per day is a very low calorie diet) can be safe and effective for the morbidly obese, but even then they should be done under medical supervision. Very low calorie diets are not really a good idea for anyone who's not morbidly obese. We need more than just calories to keep us healthy. We need protein and fat, vitamins and minerals, and the average person can't get the right amount of those in a very low calorie diet, especially since those eating so little are usually focused only on calories. They'll eat fluff just because it's low calorie and exclude a perfectly healthy portion of black beans because the black beans are more calorie dense.

You really need to eat more. I know it's scary, but you really need to eat more.

It probably will NOT help you lose weight right away. In fact, you may even gain a little bit of weight at first, and that freaks people out.

But you've got to ask yourself why you're doing this. Are you losing weight to be skinny or are you losing weight to be healthy. If you want optimal health, you need to eat.

Once your body has stabilized, you'll probably start losing the weight again, especially if you keep exercising.
  • wifenmotherx3
    Options
    im not starving myself everyone lol , i was going to the bariatric center because i was going to get the gastric bypass surgery and because when i weighed 298 i was in the morbidly obese catagory but i stopped going to them and i am now in just the overweight section and i guess i didnt realize that i should have bumped my calories up? i wasnt purposely trying to hurt myself i just didnt realize that i needed to stop doing that low of a calorie intake since my bulk weight is gone! i appreciate all the help and im going to up my protein and everything a write everything down lol .... il let everyone know how its going! =]=]
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    More protein. That will help with the snacking and weight loss. Cut carbs a bit and see if that helps break the plateau.

Eat good fats (nuts) when you can as those help fill you up too but make sure you weigh them. Little buggers are a lot of calories. :-)