Important question about Body Composition

Options
Gionni
Gionni Posts: 77 Member
QUESTION! I have lost 24 pounds since January. I went from 250 @ 26.3% body fat to 225 @ 23.5%. The problem is that my body fat percent doesn't seem to be moving! According to my math I have lost 14 pounds of because where did the other 10 pounds come from? I was thinking that it was muscle, but I am stronger than ever (currently benching 345 max). Any ideas ?

Replies

• VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Water weight plays a huge role
    Do you track water body composition? Ideal for men is around 60-65% but this varies with age
    You could know for sure by tracking water body composition, bodyfat composition, and lean body weight
    It's perfectly normal to lose some LBW

Also, strength is necessarily dependent on weight, it's more of a skill
    I am lighter than ever (recently) and can still powerlift doing 455X4 reps on machine front squats
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    QUESTION! I have lost 24 pounds since January. I went from 250 @ 26.3% body fat to 225 @ 23.5%. The problem is that my body fat percent doesn't seem to be moving! According to my math I have lost 14 pounds of because where did the other 10 pounds come from? I was thinking that it was muscle, but I am stronger than ever (currently benching 345 max). Any ideas ?
    How was body fat measured?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Gionni
    Gionni Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use 2 different handheld body fat monitors. They are both consistent
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    One or both reaodings is way off. Unless you have eating like 500 calories/day.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I use 2 different handheld body fat monitors. They are both consistent

See if you can find somebody that is good at measuring with bodyfat calipers. Those handheld things are pretty well affected be the amount of water in your body, at least that's my understanding of it. Either way, I know they are not very accurate.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Those measures are useless. They rely on electrical impedance which is highly affected by water levels. Buy a pair of cheap skin fold calipers such as slim guide.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Those measures are useless. They rely on electrical impedance which is highly affected by water levels. Buy a pair of cheap skin fold calipers such as slim guide.

They take skill to use well.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

They take skill to use well.

Very easy to use if you read up on it, maybe watch a video on you tube. Important thing is consistency for comparative measuring, not absolute accuracy