Protein powder

Options
I'm thinking about getting a protein powder... I'm a vegetarian, and I want to make sure I'm getting enough protein, especially now that I'm trying to get some lean muscle on me.
Any suggestions? I'm looking for something pretty inexpensive, and that tastes decent (I have a bit of a weak stomach)
Thanks!

Replies

• TURNBACK27
    TURNBACK27 Posts: 32
    Options
    try Vitamin shop or Walmart
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Try Hemp or soy protein....I hear Vega tastes decent as does Progressive Nutrition, they have two products called Harmonized Vegan as well as VegeGreens Vegan Protein, can't tell you how they taste however as I don't use these - just saw them in the store
  • ravennyx
    ravennyx Posts: 40
    Options
    A whey protien powder from your local pharmacy or walmart should be good enough. Mine cost 15.00 .. I only use half a serving because I do eat eggs and meats and it last me 2 months. You'll want to use a full serving every day.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I use the naturade pea protein. its vegan, vanilla flavored, 20g protein per serving and its about 18.00 a container. Its pretty good. I had been using the veg protein by naturade but it is natural flavored and very plain.
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting a whey protein, but that pea protein also sounds like something to try. Idc how many calories it would have, as long as it's flavored lol!
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting a whey protein, but that pea protein also sounds like something to try. Idc how many calories it would have, as long as it's flavored lol!

If you want to get a whey protein you should look into Optimum Nutritions Gold Standard, *kitten* wins awards every year. Not too expensive, you can get a 5 lb container for 45 bucks or soo. Good luck.
  • littlelaurie14
    Options

If you want to get a whey protein you should look into Optimum Nutritions Gold Standard, *kitten* wins awards every year. Not too expensive, you can get a 5 lb container for 45 bucks or soo. Good luck.

NIce, I'll check that out.. thanks!
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You're welcome litte laurie. :happy:
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    Try Hemp or soy protein....I hear Vega tastes decent as does Progressive Nutrition, they have two products called Harmonized Vegan as well as VegeGreens Vegan Protein, can't tell you how they taste however as I don't use these - just saw them in the store

I tried Harmonized Vegan and thought I was going to be ill. It was...absolutely disgusting and the texture was unbearable. I know two people who power through it, however, and they love the boost they get.

Personally I went to Walmart and got whatever soy protein they had on sale. It was cheap, it tastes good and it does the job.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to get samples of different protein powders? The price isn't bad if you like it and use it but if you hate it and it ends up sitting in your cupboard forever it is a waste of money. I have Jillian Michael's protein powder and it is ok but I would like to try others to compare. I haven't been too adventurous with it yet, though. So far have only mixed it with water (yuck!) or milk (ok).
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    Is there a way to get samples of different protein powders? The price isn't bad if you like it and use it but if you hate it and it ends up sitting in your cupboard forever it is a waste of money. I have Jillian Michael's protein powder and it is ok but I would like to try others to compare. I haven't been too adventurous with it yet, though. So far have only mixed it with water (yuck!) or milk (ok).

I went to my local Popeye's (the supplement chain, not the fast food chain) and they happily gave me a sample of one of the powders I was interested in.

Some companies also have one-serving sample packs that you can order.
  • littlelaurie14
    Options

I went to my local Popeye's (the supplement chain, not the fast food chain) and they happily gave me a sample of one of the powders I was interested in.

Some companies also have one-serving sample packs that you can order.

Good question! I guess specialized stores would be more likely to give samples. Cause that's absolutely true, I don't want to buy something then not even like it. I'll have to go out and see about that :)
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have had the JM powder for over a year and until recently had only tried it once. I mixed it with water (the container said water or milk) and I thought it was disgusting. I only recently tried it again. It was only $10 or $15 but even that is a lot for me to spend if I am not going to use it. My husband uses one but it has a lot more calories than the JM powder so I am reluctant to use it.