Ultimate Goal Weights???

Options
Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you had an ultimate goal weight in mind or whether you're just losing weight to lose it?
When I started my am was just to lose as much weight as I could, but now that my weight loss is slowing down I fell that I need a goal to aim for.
I never thought I could get to the weight I'm at right now, so it makes me wonder just how much I could really lose if I went for it. Anyone have any suggestions for an ultimate goal weight??

Replies

• cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options
    I had an ultimate goal weight until I decided to shift my focus to cutting body fat and building muscle. Now I've thrown out the scale (well, technically I don't have one, but I've stopped weighing at the gym!) and am focusing more on measurements and just how I look in the mirror.

Basically I think once you get close to where you want to be, your focus might shift to becoming more fit rather than just thin. That complicates having a goal weight so much that I don't even have one anymore. I don't know where I'll end up with the current program I'm doing (heavy lifting 3x per week and cardio 3x per week), but I'm hoping it's somewhere good! ;)
  • GregB76
    GregB76 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started with a ultimate goal weight but since I am getting so close to it, I'm thinking about increasing the amount of weight I want to lose.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    When i started I didnt have goals- mostly because I didnt think I could loss it after so many years trying and failing.

I set them up after a month to see any patterns and set my goals at a loss of a pound a week. Then I set long term goals and mine is currently 130lbs- I set for 140lbs but wanted to push further!

The more i lost, the better my goals :)
  • Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    Until my GP stops hassling me. She's already changed the goal-posts once.

I'll be happy at 80 kg, really. She wanted me at 78 kg, now she's changed that to 75 kg. I have told her I can do 70 kg, and she hummphed at me, so that's now a challenge.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Right now my goal weight is 185 lbs, but I will likely lower that when I get close to it. Body fat percentage and BMI are what I am really shooting for.
  • cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options

I'll be happy at 80 kg, really. She wanted me at 78 kg, now she's changed that to 75 kg. I have told her I can do 70 kg, and she hummphed at me, so that's now a challenge.

What is a GP?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I aim for the weight and body fat percentage that I can attain under the given circumstances. I'm recovering from an injury so I can't do any cardio and the lower my weight is the more important I find cardio to be in weight loss. Ideally, I like to be a little low in order to have some insurance if for some reason I gain weight because of an injury, too much eating, etc.
  • heald_uk
    heald_uk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get my BMI down into the 'healthy' range so that is what I'm aiming for really. Had a tough time the last couple of days though - eaten way more than I should have done!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hard to give you an idea of an ultimate weight goal w/o knowing how tall you are ;) You look pretty slim in your pic. Perhaps now your goal should be to tone. Often people need to drop "fat" rather than "weight". Good luck!
  • brandneweyesnd
    Options

What is a GP?

A Doctor in the UK. The local doctors practices are run by GP's (General Practitioners).

My ultimatr goal weight is 107lbs, I'm 5'3. But right now I'm just trying to get to the 8st mark. (112lbs).
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal weight was 130lbs, but I'm not sure if I'll reach it. I'm 146lbs right now. I feel pretty healthy.
  • deborawrsaurus
    Options
    I had an ultimate goal weight until I decided to shift my focus to cutting body fat and building muscle. Now I've thrown out the scale (well, technically I don't have one, but I've stopped weighing at the gym!) and am focusing more on measurements and just how I look in the mirror.

Basically I think once you get close to where you want to be, your focus might shift to becoming more fit rather than just thin. That complicates having a goal weight so much that I don't even have one anymore. I don't know where I'll end up with the current program I'm doing (heavy lifting 3x per week and cardio 3x per week), but I'm hoping it's somewhere good! ;)

That's interesting, my boyfriend and I were discussing body fat percentages earlier today. I took my body fat and right now I'm sitting at around 20, so I think my next goal will be to get down to around 15, which means losing around 7 pounds of fat, but I'm guessing I'll have to put on a few pounds or so of muscle to achieve this.
    I totally agree with you, I think that you need to change your focus once you get to this stage. Sounds like you've got a good programme just now, six sessions a week should be getting you some results pretty soon :)
  • deborawrsaurus
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, lots of different reasons for goals and lots of different ways of achieving them. I think I'm gonna try and cut down my fat percentage and build muscle. Although I'm apprehensive about gaining any weight, I'm gonna try and push myself so that my bmr raises a bit and I'm a bit fitter.
    Something tells me that the hardest part of my weight loss is just beginning! :/ lol
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    ULTIMATE?? 145lbs. Right now I'm 242... I'll see when I get to 165-160, my hubby thinks that would way too skinny for me.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    145 lbs is my ultimate, and my doctor thinks it's a great goal. I'm 5'10 and I don't want to be anywhere NEAR overweight, so that if I do gain some back (stress, or just falling off the wagon), I won't have as far to go before I'm back to where I want to be. I started at 205lbs and I'm at 178lbs now, so I think I can do it, it's just so slow.

But in four pounds, when I'm no longer overweight, I'm going to throw myself a party. That'll be beyond huge.
  • FindingFit127
    FindingFit127 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and at 140 I was 143..
    My goal weight is 115lb I want to lose the weight i gained from having my son and the weight I've gained from eating pop tarts, mac & cheese, and chicken nuggets with him :)
    Maybe I can get in even better shape then I was before.. I'm sure gonna try my best!
    Goodluck everyone!!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes had a ultimate goal of 185lbs starting at 267.5.. I am 5'10 an a large framed lady, so I carry it good..The closer I got to it I realized I wanted to go lower than that. So now I am reaching for 165. But honestly mainly now I am looking for definition and toning, the scale doesn't bother me anymore..
  • claire7090
    claire7090 Posts: 67
    Options
    I am 5'6" and am aiming for 147lbs (currently 148.4) and I started at 177lbs. My original goal was to lose 21lbs then I increased it to make 28lbs (to make it 2 stone) and then I decided to drop another 2lbs which will put me back to the weight I was as a teenager. I will stop losing at that point and continue to work on becoming fitter.

Most people seem to aim for less than this weight at 5'6" on this site but for me I will be happy, my doctor is happy if I am 147lbs and I feel great.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I got to my goal weight, and then focused on body fat, and since then I have put a few pounds on but am smaller than I was at my lowest weight...
  • taylor0911
    taylor0911 Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and started at 133 pounds. My goal weight is 120 pounds (currently 127)