Best use of 60 minutes at the gym?

Options
melry77
melry77 Posts: 43 Member
With a 5 month old I am not guaranteed even the 20 minutes per day I need for some videos, but I do get an hour at the gym twice piter week. Assuming this were my only workout on a bad week, what is the best way to spend this time? I usually get on the ellyptical but am worn out and bored FAST, leave exhausted, and dread going back. If I spend more time on the weight machines, should I lift as much as possible, or lift less but do short, fast repetition? And what about the 30 minute express station, like a Curves workout, wherein you do machines for a minute and step for a minute? Does this provide enough weight training to be effective? Thanks!!

Replies

• IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You can always slip in a DVD while the lil one takes a nap :) also, if u have a hour at the gym..switch up machines, te
    Twenty minutes on elliptical, twenty minutes on bike, twenty minutes on treadmill..or thirty mins cardio and thirty minutes strength training..
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Variety is important!

Ok not sure on you fitness level but I would say do some interval training. So spend 30secs working hard then recover 30 secs working at a lower intensity. Do this in any piece of CV equipment or outside.

In the gym, grabs some dumbells and a Swiss ball and do a circuit of resistance training. Mix this up with bits of cardio like skipping. It's all about mixing it all up so you don't get bored.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd go with about 10 minutes on a bike, treadmill or elliptical to warm up, 40 minutes of weights lifting heavy, low reps, then another 10 minutes of cardio to cool down.

On days you don't get to the gym, I'd try to squeak out for a half hour of cardio outside, walking, running, or a combination of the two.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    I'd go with about 10 minutes on a bike, treadmill or elliptical to warm up, 40 minutes of weights lifting heavy, low reps, then another 10 minutes of cardio to cool down.

On days you don't get to the gym, I'd try to squeak out for a half hour of cardio outside, walking, running, or a combination of the two.

^^^^THIS. The lifting part is important.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

I've seen women running near me with their prams. I always think it must be an amazing workout and I am always so impressed!