Lunchtime suggestions

Options
I'm always so hungry on lunch even tho I eat breakfast and a mid-morning snack. Any suggestions for healthy and filling food choices for lunch?

Replies

• chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just had some hummus with celery stalks, bell pepper, baby carrots, and grape tomatoes and I'm very full. Plus it took me about 5 minutes to get it all ready last night.
  • blueiiidCorissa
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas :)
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly veggies for lunch. I cut them up in the morning when I make the kids lunches. I am boring and eat the same thing. I put peanut butter on celery, or a slice of bread or on a brown rice cake. I find a bowl full of veggies and some protein with healthy fat filling. Somedays I'll have a tuna or salmon s/w.
  • schenry417
    schenry417 Posts: 11
    Options
    Today I quartered grape tomatoes, diced cucumbers, added a quarter avocado, about 1/4-1/2 cup plain yogurt (greek preferrably) with salt and pepper. Was very filling and yummy.

Also, quartered grape tomatoes with a 1/4 cup feta cheese drizzed with 1 T olive oil and 1 T balsamic vinegar.

For this week's menu, I've cut out all carbs except fruit, couscous and quinoa.

If I'm craving pasta (which I always am), I heat up diced chicken in 1 T olive oil with garlic and onions, add a tomato/basil marinara sauce, add shredded chicken and 1 T parmesan cheese, sprinkle extra oregano and chop up fresh basil. Very yummy. Another option is to put the same ingredients on top of a cup of quinoa.

Mediterranean couscous salad is good too. Cook the couscous according to the package directions using chicken or vegetable broth. Add 1/4 cup olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, cucumber, fresh tomatoes, artichoke hearts and a bit of feta cheese.

These are all filling and fairly low in calories while still providing healthy fats. As with anything, portion control is key.

Best,
    Shauna
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I always bring a zip loc bag with carrot and celery sticks and sometimes radishes. Individual 3 oz pouches/or cans of tuna water packed or sometimes a hard boiled egg. Low fat peanut butter on light 12 grain bread. Love watermelon, so I usually have that or fresh strawberries.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go the other way and recommend the Fresco menu at Taco Bell. 2 Fresco steak tacos will only hit you for 300 calories and 8 grams of fat to go with 18 grams of protein. Del Taco has a similar item with their Tacos Del Carbon if your a west coaster. Wendy's has a cup of chili that keeps me on my weight loss track, or I can get a baked potato and spicy nuggets for $2 to go with a bottled water.

I apologize for my non-organic suggestions. I just can't live on rabbit food all the time!
  • ashley_in_austin
    Options
    I found in the asian isle in my grocery store these udon noodle soup packs, the brand is myojo... it is 250 calories, crazy delicious, and EXTREMELY dense and filling. I will add some frozen veggies to the water as it boils, and some chicken breast or other leftover meats to bulk it up and can keep it under 350 calories. I don't end up needing a snack later.

Another filling meal is always a giant salad and a cooked fish fillet... super filling, low cal, and nutritious.

I enjoy progresso soups with a few crackers...

Tuna mixed with fat free kraft miracle whip (10 cals a tablespoon), peppercinis, chopped bell pepper, chopped onion, and some pickles chopped... it makes a huge portion (bulked with the veggies) and I eat it in lettuce cups. So good!

Protein shake with some peanut butter blended in and a half a banana. Tastes like a jamba juice. I make it with a cup of almond milk and some ice, and it comes to about 325 cals, but SUPER tasty and filling.

A flat out wrap with tons of lettuce, red bell pepper, kraft toasted sesame dressing, a few won ton strips, and grilled chicken coming in just under 300 cals is FANTASTIC.

Or a flat out with some hummus (a little goes a long way), some black beans, some lettuce and bell peppers, cucumber and tomato, and that is sensational.

Baked tofu that has been marinated in lime juice and soy sauce, with a big salad is great.

Sometimes I make a roll of turkey slices, kraft fat free cheese slices (25 cals a slice), letttuce, tomato, and a dollop of mustard, (actually, I make a few rolls) and eat that with some cottage cheese and I am a happy clam.

Lean cuisine pizza hits the spot for me too. I really enjoy that with a cucumber peeled and sliced (on the side) marinated with a bit of salt, splenda, and white vinegar. (Red onion and jalapeno are great in it too) and the entire cucumber is like 20 cals. It fills me up quite a bit actually. Makes a great side to anything.

Cliff bars fill me up too.

I sometimes have two chicken breasts (about 200 cals) with siracha sauce (spicy korean chili sauce) and a big salad, and that is probably my most filling meal.

Hope some of these helped!
  • blueiiidCorissa
    Options
    wow, thank you all...great ideas. Much appreciated
  • abayj11787
    abayj11787 Posts: 5
    Options
    My favorite lunches which are super filling is usually a sandwich. I liked to use toasted Light Honey Wheat Bread (like Nature's Own, 80 cals for two slices) with lean means (turkey & roast beef are my favorites), light mayo (Helmans 35 cals for 2 tbsps), light cheese (Sargento's Thin Slices 40 cals each), and load it up with veggies like red bell pepper, lettuce, and even cucumbers. Cut in half and add reduced fat chips (Light Lays or Reduced Fat Pringles are my favorite), and a sugar free pudding cup. Tuna is also a good sandwich, just load up on the veggies.

I also like wraps & salads. If I make Chicken Breast for dinner, I usually make an extra. For a wrap I use low carb whole wheat tortilla (90 cals), red peppers, green peppers, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, and either fat free ranch dressing or you could make a chipolote mayo which is easy. Add the chicken and then use any sides you want. With the salad, I usually just do a Ceaser salad, lots of romaine lettuce, a table spoon of Parmesan cheese (25 cals usually), fat free ceaser dressing, and the chicken. Usually I either have chips or add croûtons to my salad, whichever I am in the mood for.