Working out right when you wake up

Options
I find when i workout right when i wake up gives me the best results when do you guys usually workout and gives you the best results

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I workout at various times during the day depending on my schedule. I find I have more energy later in the day or after I've eaten something. If I don't eat something before working out I find I don't do as well.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Working out first thing in the morning even before you eat is actually proven to burn more...its called Intermit fasting if you want to look up more information on it. I used to eat first then go but after doing this for awhile I feel so much better working on a full fast from the day before.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am on week four right now of waking up at 4am, out the door by 4:45am to hit the gym for a minimum 1hr session. I go straight to work, shower and change there, and I do my 8-9 hr shift.

I feel more alert in the mornings so working out that early has been the BEST damn decision I ever made. I didnt think I could do it, but I did and IM FREAKING HOOKED!

As far as waking up in the morning today (Saturday) - OH GAWD, I woke up at 6:45am and was in total pain - that was like, sleeping in until 11am.... I think this is my body's way of saying I should just gun-it and go to the gym 7 days per week. I have officially made my body think this is a habit!!! And... thats a GOOD thing!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I read something that when we first wake up our bodies are in a natural fat burning mode and if you exercise then you are burning off fat reserves as you haven't eaten since the day before, whereas if you had breakfast first you would burn that off first before you got to burning stored fat.

so for a time I did 5am workouts and I did seem to sweat more at that time than exercising any other time of the day and also got my biggest losses of inches and pounds. It seemed to work when I had alot to lose initially, but I don't seem to get the same results now.

I might try and get back to them as I seem to be stuck in a plateau!
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    Mornings are good but your muscles are more prone to injury in the morning because they haven't gotten the stretching and warming up that comes with being up and moving. So be careful!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I think it's terrific if you can do it. Get it over with and get on with your day. I am so not a morning person. In fact, I'm very clumsy and awkward first thing.

I've read that the optimal time for exercise is late afternoon (I think it has to do with circadian rhythms and body temperature.) But every article always concludes that the best time is when you will exercise consistently.
  • Lspike92
    Lspike92 Posts: 20
    Options
    I perform my main workouts in first thing in the morning but try to fit other exercises in throughout the day.
  • cramernh
    Options
    Mornings are good but your muscles are more prone to injury in the morning because they haven't gotten the stretching and warming up that comes with being up and moving. So be careful!

That will never be anyone's problem if they are smart enough to remember to do the stretching to begin with....
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

That will never be anyone's problem if they are smart enough to remember to do the stretching to begin with....

Maybe when I can wake up to a coffee I.V.
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If I don't wake up first thing in the morning and workout, I WILL NOT DO IT!!!! It starts my day of really well. Getting out of bed at 4:30 a.m. is a total *****, but it's worth it.
  • NK203
    NK203 Posts: 35
    Options
    First thing works best for me. I have a coffee and then exercise. I am too tired after work, and the excuses are too easy then.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Eating the right amount of calories/macros per day is the easy for me. The exercising is the hard part, but it's getting easier with time.

I find that if I exercise as soon as I get up, it'll be done for the day. If I wait until later, the entire day I'll be putting it off until it might be too late.
  • cramernh
    Options

Maybe when I can wake up to a coffee I.V.

Well, I work for a large physician/provider group so all I have to do is call for the IV therapist and I can have it at my desk while I work BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! NEENER NEENER NEENER!
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    i work out in the morning but not first thing, i am up at 5.45 but that is so i get the kids up for school, i have 2 school runs to make by 7.15am. i make up the beds and start laundry then work out about 8.30/9.00. one thing i always do is get dressed into my workout clothes and that way i will workout at some point before i *really* get dressed for the day :)
  • sapphireblu64
    sapphireblu64 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I perform my main workouts in first thing in the morning but try to fit other exercises in throughout the day.
  • hucksmom1
    hucksmom1 Posts: 8
    Options
    I've tried working out first thing in the morning but it seriously makes me feel like I'm going to pass out. Have tried several times over the years & always the same results. So I work out in the evenings during the week, adding a walk on my lunchbreak at work if weather permitting & workout mid-day usually on the weekends.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a morning person at ALL. Matter of fact, I feel as though I'm in a dream-like state from the time I wake up until about 3pm LOL My eyes are glossy, my brain doesn't function properly, and I'm super weak. I don't get my REAL energy until about 8 or 9pm, so that's when I typically work out. Last time I went to the gym was at 12:30am. :)
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    it makes me commit to my day.
  • ktsail
    ktsail Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    During the weekends, I wake up and work out right away, but during the week I need to leave for work by 6:30, so afternoon and evening workouts it is. I feel a lot better when I do work out first thing in the morning. I wish it could happen during the week!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    i travel twice a month. when i am at home, i get up and do zumba @ 430 a.m. when i am on the road, i work out after work, usually around the 6-7pm timeframe. I have to say, I much much prefer, and feel better witht he morning workout.