Is anyone having a hard time adjusting to 1200 calories per

Options
I try so had every day but I am always hungry. I plan my meals every morning and then when it comes time to eat something else either sounds good or looks good. I think that I just need more inner strength and will power. Any low calorie suggestion that might fill me up and help with cravings?
:indifferent:

Replies

• katie517
    katie517 Posts: 159
    Options
    If you are new to this healthy lifestyle, it is a HUGE adjustment. Like most of us (me especially) you are probably used to eating more than what you really need – due to Americanized portions :grumble: and whatnot. It took about two weeks of having to tell myself “It’s okay to be hungry. You won’t die.” Now, some days it is difficult to eat all of my calories because my stomach and brain have adjusted.

I would suggest:

Eating healthy, high-fiber snacks throughout the day
    Eating a substantial breakfast
    Sweat! (the more calories you burn, the more you can eat :bigsmile: )

Good luck! You can do this!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are a yummy low calorie filler full of awesome nutrition. Make sure your snacks always contain both protein & fiber. I'm hardly ever hungry between meals & snacks, and if I am, I eat. Also, drink a LOT of water, it keeps you from being hungry.

Most days I have plenty of calories left for a little treat. My calories seem to always fall between 1200 and 1400 even when I treat myself. It's not a good thing, but some days I even have a hard time making it to 1200 calories.
    You're welcome to view my food diary. Just don't count the cupcake I eat nearly daily as part of a "healthy" diet. :laugh:
  • ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    Options
    I am as well...i am trying to get back into this but am having a very hard time....i ma always starving..........i am good most of the day and then get off track later because I have been starving ALL DAY!

i get to work very early so i cannot make a filling breakfast so right there sets the "tone" for the whole day and it just snowballs from there.........ANY SUGGESTIONS ANYONE??????

I SHOULD LOSE CLOSE TO 20LBS AND AM JUST HAVING TROUBLE GETTING STARTED...ONCE I GET INTO IT I AM FINE.........HELP!!!!!!!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're having a hard time COMMITTING to the foods you have planned, and are opting for the foods you see that look better. Why do that to yourself? You took the time to plan it and prep it, why would you then ignore it?
    Also, if you're not already doing so, eating a smaller meal 5-6 times a day might work better at keeping your hunger at bay. Hunger makes us impulsive (not good!). It's hard to eat something unplanned if you're already satisfied with good choices!
    Nola gave us a GREAT list - take some ideas from that.....
    Also, Katie said it best "Hey, it's okay to be a little bit hungry - it won't kill you!!"
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    i get to work very early so i cannot make a filling breakfast so right there sets the "tone" for the whole day and it just snowballs from there.........ANY SUGGESTIONS ANYONE??????

Wake up 5 minutes earlier. I eat a piece of fruit with peanut butter for breakfast most workdays. If I'm still hungry, I throw in some veggies, too. Half a banana with a tbs of peanut butter or a sliced apple with a tbs of peanut butter. It sticks with me for several hours. I eat around 8am & then have a snack around 10.30 or 11. My snack is usually a full serving of raw veggies like carrots. I also drink a lot of water (usually over 100oz a day).

On the weekends I typically make an egg white omelet full of veggies & cheese or sometimes lean meat. The omelet will really stick with me and it only takes about 10 minutes to make and eat if you're in a time crunch.

I once dieted eating 1400 calories/day (this time I'm averaging about 1200-1300/day). I was starving all the time before eating MORE calories. Why? Because I didn't really cook. I didn't pay attention to the nutritional value & volume of food I was eating. Lots of the time, I ate pre-packaged foods labeled "low cal" or "fat free." This time around, I realized those foods are a WASTE of calories. Eat healthy wholesome foods. Lean meats, LOTS of veggies, fruits, whole grains, lowfat dairy (I typically eat full fat or 2% cheese, 1% millk, etc. I don't dig "fat free" dairy). Those things keep you satisfied. Do your research, look at your nutrition labels, and ask yourself if what you're about to eat is really worth the calories. What's going to keep you more satisfied, 2 packs of wafer thin crackers labeled "100 calorie packs," or an apple, a tbs of peanut butter, and 5 ounces of carrots? See how much more food you could be eating for the same amount of calories?

That's pretty much what I do with everything I eat - weigh the value of food based on bulk, taste, and nutritional value versus # of calories. My huge plate full of meat loaf, green peas, and mashed potatoes for dinner last night had fewer calories than a large order of fast food french fries.

It's just something to think about. I'm sorry I rambled on here, but I know exactly what you're going through because I went through it 4 years ago. As soon as I got tired of starving & gave up, I gained *70 pounds* after just losing 40. This time I understand what I'm doing a lot more and I'm eating the way I'm going to eat for the rest of my life. I'm just fine with that because I'm satisfied with what I'm eating now; I was absolutely not satisfied being hungry all the time. How are you going to maintain your weight? Are you just going to be hungry for the rest of your life? You really have to start thinking about and understanding food an entirely different way.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    eat breakfast, fix it the night before, eat it cold on the way, do something but eat breakfast.
  • butterfly09
    butterfly09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions, they are great. These suggestions have changed my outlook on this and I will do my homework this weekend and find things that will make me feel satisfied. If anyone has any other hints or suggestions I am open to anything at this point. Thanks!!! :smile:
  • melissa616
    Options
    I find that having a glass of skim milk helps fill me up. I have a glass with my oatmeal in the morning. I dont like the calories associated with Milk but I remember Jilian on Biggest Loser telling her ppl to drink milk. So I figure its good for me and it does fill me up.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    In addition to all of the above, are you sure you're only supposed to be eating 1200 a day? That is usually considered the bare minimum and is for women of petite stature or the morbidly obese who can handle a larger calorie deficit. Are you eating your exercise cals?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Try eating 6 small meals instead of 3 big ones (of healthy, high fiber foods). That way you keep your tummy busy and it's less time until you get to eat again.

Another thing, are you sure 1,200 calories is right for you? Maybe a 100 or 200 more would make all the difference in feeling GOOD and satisfied or feeling crummy and hungry all the time. It would slow down your weight loss a bit, but it's a good idea to balance your long term goals with your immediate needs.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    In addition to all of the above, are you sure you're only supposed to be eating 1200 a day? That is usually considered the bare minimum and is for women of petite stature or the morbidly obese who can handle a larger calorie deficit. Are you eating your exercise cals?

I agree you should make sure you aren't cutting too much at firstyuou don't want to hit a plateau because you can't drop your cal anymore.
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    Drink more fluids . If you have your water, as well as other fluids it also will fill you up. I like to drink arizona diet green tea. It is made with splenda.(ITS ZERO CALORIES!!) :tongue: Also, eat your meals slow. The slower you eat .. the fuller you get. Healthy Soup is a good thing too.
    Best of Luck!! You can do it!! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :wink: :bigsmile:
  • atcgrrb8
    Options
    The only way I can stay ahead is by working out more. Otherwise there is no way I could hit my calorie amounts. Besides, it's hard to work out and eat at the same time.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    You might have to play around with what foods make YOU feel satisfied and full for as long as possible. For me, breakfast of 1/2 cup of eatbeaters and a 100 calorie English muffin keeps me full for a long time, but you have to like it. I've found if i eat something because "i should eat it" but its not satisfying i'm either still hungry and want something else. Give yourself time to find what works for you and experiment with protein/fiber combination. Good luck!
  • butterfly09
    butterfly09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did some research this weekend and found several items to try plus all of the suggestions that I have gathered from this post. I also found out that should be eating between 1200-1300 calories per day + exercise calories.

:happy: I can do this!!! If I can stop smoking after 16 years I can lose 28 pounds.:happy: