Anyone with gallbladder disease?

Options
Hi all,

I recently had an extended gallbladder attack (on-and-off but mostly one for 10 days straight), but I wasn't aware of what it was until I had an ultrasound to confirm. I was told I have "debris" in my gallbladder, which could indicate gallbladder disease. I have a strong family history of gallbladder disease, so I wasn't completely shocked, but it's still a wake-up call.

I've been symptom-free for the past couple weeks now, and I have a consultation appointment with a surgeon later this week. I would like to be able to manage my symptoms through diet so I can avoid surgery (especially since I'm not in pain). I don't know how likely that is, but I wondered if there were others in the same position...either controlling their symptoms with diet or learning how to eat post-gallbladder removal?

I'd love to hear from you if you're out there! :)

Replies

• bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I had mine removed so I can't help you too much on maintaining with diet other than you have to eat VERY low fat (that's what my doctor told me because it was a month between my attack and my surgery). Post surgery, I had to slowly reintroduce fats. That was three years ago. I have trouble eating spicy foods since having my gall bladder out - I still eat them, it just causes discomfort.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I had my first attack about 2 years before I had to have surgery.

Mostly, controlling it means eating low fat. But if you have or are prone to gallstones they can still cause problems even when you do eat low fat, because once you have them, they will come back and cause problems.

The surgeon will probably recommend surgery, because, well, that's what they do.

Today, the surgery is really simple. My mother had hers taken out in the 70s, and they had to totally cut her open to do it. 6-8 weeks of recovery.

I had mine out in Nov. 4 little holes, and I went home in the morning. The only reason I spent the night was that my surgery was in the late afternoon, and I wasn't out of recovery until 7pm. If it had been earlier in the day, I would have gone home the same day. The pain was minimal, and mostly from the gas they pump your belly full of. I only missed 4 days of work.

I got very tired easily after the surgery for a couple of weeks.

I was eating normally fairly quickly.

The only thing is the body has to relearn how to process fat without the gallbladder acting as a bile storage place. So, if you eat too much fat, um, how can I say this delicately? You're running to the potty almost immediately. So, mostly eating low(ish) fat.

Examples: a friend says she can eat a burger OR fries, but not both in one meal. I can make a pizza at home and be ok, but if I eat a pizza out, I'm not ok.
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    After 9 years of gall bladder attacks (I had no idea that's what I was experiencing for all those years), I went to the doctor and told them about the pain I had. I also had an ultrasound and had "many many" gall stones and was told I had to get my gall bladder removed. While awaiting the surgery to be scheduled I had the mother of all gall bladder attacks and had it removed in an emergency surgery.

After so many years of pain, having it gone was the biggest relief of my life! That was back in October 2010. If I eat too much fat at any one time it goes right through me, not pleasant! I just basically have to watch my fat intake.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out 15 years ago... on my 20th birthday! I had been having weekly attacks for 6 months before I was diagnosed, and then we had to wait 1 week before my surgery. For that week, I ate very low fat as the surgeon recommended, which basically ended up being chicken grilled with no butter or oil and baked potatoes with bbq sauce on them. I didn't have any attacks though :-) At that point I was not able to digest any types of veggies without triggering an attack, and they recommended that I avoid fruit.

It took about 10 years before I could go back to what I consider a "normal" diet. Foods with oil or grease on them, and cruciferous veggies were the big problems. For example, zucchini sauteed in olive oil, would make me sick for the rest of the night b/c it was oily. (Ben & Jerry's on the other hand... no problem)

My dad, on the other hand, just needed his out a few years ago. He put it off for more than a year after the surgeon recommended it, and tried to control it with diet. He ended up in the hospital several times with very high bilirubin levels (aka yellow eyeballs and skin), and when they finally did the surgery, his gallbladder was so diseased that they had to do the full incision rather than the minimally invasive.

IMO, the surgery is pretty painless, and seems to be inevitable. Don't suffer through the attacks any longer than you have to.
  • vininger
    vininger Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you for all the input, everyone! My dad had his gallbladder out laparascopically about 18 years ago, so he was just a few years older than I am now. He adjusted pretty well post-surgery. I don't know why I'm so scared of the surgery...I guess because, well, it's surgery! :) It helps to hear others' experiences.
  • Jotac
    Jotac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Removing mine was the best decision I made. I wish I had done it sooner. Yeah, you can somewhat controll symptoms with food choices but sometimes those stones just move and you have an attack. I worked and went to school an hour from home and I got to the point where I didn't eat at all away from home ( and as putting in 15 hour days) because I knew if I had an attack I could not drive home. Not having to worry about attacks and suffering attacks is so so so nice. Yeah, there is an adjustment after. I always kept Imodium with me for the adjustment. Personally if I kept a little food in my stomach all day I was fine. If I waited long periods between eating and ate on a very empty stomach I would then need to find a restroom after eating but no biggy. Now I have no issues at all. Btw. I was in and out of the hospital in like 3 hours and recovery was nothing. I am glad I had mine out.
  • insights2
    insights2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out about six years ago. I tried to control it with diet, but it didn't work. I actually found that starchy foods brought on attacks- potatoes, rice, etc. which is exactly what I was eating to avoid fats....
    Surgery was quick- I was in and out in a day, and eating regular food the next day. I have had no problems with any sort of food. My surgeon had told me prior to surgery that because I delayed my surgery and allowed the thing to become so irritated and inflamed, that I actually increased my chances of having to have the big incision instead of laproscopic surgery. Fortunately I ended up with laproscopic, but barely. Good luck!
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had my first surgery to remove my gallbladder when I was 17. It was quite invasive and took 6-8 weeks of recouping afterwards. I didn't have a choice but have it removed as everything was setting off attacks, including water. That was 20+ yrs ago. Then 7 yrs after that surgery ( I suffered the whole 7 yrs) I had a second surgery to remove gall stones from the common bile duct. At the same time they put in a stint so that I wouldn't continue to have the same problems. It too was invasive. Another 6-8 weeks recouping. Now tho, they have come such a long way and do most of it laproscopically. That is technology for ya. I would recommend having it taken care of for sure. There is nothing that I can't eat now. Absolutely nothing triggers an attack. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. But for me, I would choose the surgery again in a heartbeat. Why wait til it gets to the point where you can't ingest anything without setting off an attack?
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out 3 years ago and have had nothing but problems with food since then. 1 McDonalds french fry has md running for the bathroom.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    _____ my scare is probly this long. it no big deal. i had mine out a few years ago. i was out the same day. the pain after only lasted a couple of days. i have no problem with food. you will be fine