Polar HRM

Options
amylrach
amylrach Posts: 30 Member
I'm thinking about purchasing a Polar HRM (FT-40) and wanted to see if anyone else has purchased one and if you think it's worth the $$$. Does it make a big difference in your work out? Does it motivate you more? I would like to take the mystery out of how many calories I'm burning in my workout but just don't want to make the purchase if I get tired of using it after a month.

Replies

• LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    I'm thinking about purchasing a Polar HRM (FT-40) and wanted to see if anyone else has purchased one and if you think it's worth the $$$. Does it make a big difference in your work out? Does it motivate you more? I would like to take the mystery out of how many calories I'm burning in my workout but just don't want to make the purchase if I get tired of using it after a month.

Timely question! Hope I copied the link correctly! I have a polar rs300 but I'm sure any polar is a good one!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/602676-rewards
  • Indolent
    Indolent Posts: 12
    Options
    I've used HRMs for close to 10 years now. I don't think they really motivate you, but they do give you a more accurate picture of how your training session has gone.

My goal was/is always to try and produce the same effort for a workout but achieve more. So, if you're running 5k and your average HR is x then doing the same session a few weeks later, in the same time, should see your average HR lower - that's assuming that your making progress of course.

There is a lot of literature on training with a heart-rate monitor. A quick search on the net will allow you to find lots of interesting reading.

One final point, the use of HRMs is probably best for serious cardio activity: running, cycling, cross-training activities in a gym; rather than for use during weight-training/lifting sessions.

I'd give it a go, perhaps buy a relatively inexpensive one and see how you feel.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60(one step up from the Ft40) and I think it's worth the investment.

It does take the guess work out of calories for the most part, and I find it to be motivating at times.
  • kristinajaffe
    kristinajaffe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I JUST GOT MINE THE FT40 FOR MOTHERS DAY... AND I LOVE IT!!!! FOR ME IT WAS DEFINITELY WORTH THE PURCHASE.. AND IT'S REALLY EASY TO UST.. :)
  • amylrach
    amylrach Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input! I think i will end up purchasing one. i'm tired of guessing how many calories i am burning. i would like to see if my intensity is where it needs to be at too.
  • plyosteph
    plyosteph Posts: 17
    Options
    I got my Polar HRM on Thursday and love it!! Gives such an accurate potrait of what you're burning and has motivated me more to strap it on and workout in the morning. Highly recommended!