Dancing the Weight Off?

After 2 years of thinking about I'm finally doing it! I'm joining the gym! This will be the first time I've stepped in a gym since I was 15 and at 21 I've changed a whole lot. I no longer suffer about caring what people think, I'm not so much concerned about how they look at me or feeling like a fool. In the last 3 years I'm really come into my own.

I've always wanted to learn how to belly dance. I love the way their bodies move and the colours of the costumes are stunning! My gym always offers Zumba, Zumba Aqua and Hip Hop dancing. I'm not sure how much that will help, I've never meet anyone who has 'danced the weight off' but it's something I'd like to try.

With my membership I also get full use of the gym equipment, the pool, lockers, and sauna. Plus it's with walking distance from my house (give or take 4ks).

I was just wondering if anyone here dances and how it has improved their weightloss?

:D

Jess

Replies

• Halfangel
    Halfangel Posts: 49
    A month ago, I got Gold's Gym dance DVD and I've lost 5 inches off my stomach and 12 pounds. I'm not saying I can dance now, but it's definitely great cardio. Personally, I know a girl who started belly dancing at her gym, and she's lost like, 30 pounds and has the cutest little waist now, so give it a try. Dancing is an awesome way to lose weight while having fun.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    In the past, on days when I couldn't get to the gym or run I danced to my workout playlist. I always wore a heart rate monitor. Although I engaged in vigorous all-body movements, and sometimes did rapid sets of jumping jacks, it was hard for me to keep my rate up for a sustained period. For me, running, or the elliptical is more efficient.

It was better than nothing, but if I were at the gym, I probably would do the workout that I found most efficient. I also am not a big fan of group aerobics. I like to stretch and cool down on my own schedule. If I really wanted to learn a dance, I'd be doing it for the skill and fun of it, not primarily for the exercise.
  • LJ327
    LJ327 Posts: 2 Member
    Well done for joining a gym. I felt the same but when I first started but no one really paid any attention to me and I didn't feel as self conscious as I thought I would. I do Zumba twice a week at my gym. I have tried five different instructors and only like two of them so maybe try a few classes just to make sure that you didn't get a rubbish instructor. My waist is definitely smaller and my fitness is improving and I have lost 333lbs so far. I also do two gym sessions a week so I can't be sure that the weight loss is only down to Zumba. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 492 Member

I was just wondering if anyone here dances and how it has improved their weightloss?

I do Just Dance on the Wii, for a while it was the only "workout" I did and I lost yes! :happy:
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    When I took dance classes 3-4 days per week, I lost a ton of weight. It's GREAT exercise, especially because it's so much fun!

I do Turbo Jam Cardio Party now, and it kicks my butt.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Most of my exercise is dancing... I do a lot of hoop dance, belly dance/African dance fusion, or just plain booty-shaking! I can't image a more fun way to get my cardio.
  • aussiegirl1990
    aussiegirl1990 Posts: 56 Member
    Oh wow, I'm def doing dance! It sounds like so many of you have lost weight and that is fantastic news! I can't wait to get started!

Thanks guys!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    It's a great workout, even if you only do it for a little bit! I danced growing up and while I didn't "lose" weight, I didn't start gaining rapidly until I stopped. I say go for it!! I'm definitely planning on taking belly dance lessons at some point, and possibly joining a troupe :flowerforyou:
  • memmers
    memmers Posts: 112
    I do zumba and i love it! Its such a good workout and it is fun. I do it 3 times a week and i do 3 days of weights and i have lost 8 lbs in a month. I do some walking/jogging too but nothing makes me sweat more than zumba! Give it a shot!
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Zumba. Zumba. Zumba.

With the right teacher.

I've lost so much off my waist because of Zumba. My teacher really stresses the proper form to get the most out of what we're doing. Merengue march with appropriate waist twisting has done amazing things to my obliques!
  • JoniRiaya
    JoniRiaya Posts: 79
    Zumba rocks!! It's so much fun you don't feel like you're working out. Seriously, after every session even tho I'm sweating like crazy, I can't believe it's already done. Other workouts all I do is count the minutes until it's over. Great total body work out too. I've never had a ton of weight to lose but I've seen many people do complete transformations with Zumba. The important thing I to find something you love so it keeps you motivated. Good luck to you on your journey!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!