Staying Under Daily Calorie Goal

Options
What are yall's thoughts on staying being below your recommended calorie goal?

Replies

• Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I try to meet the goal, and by meet I mean I'm +/-50 calories of it.

If you're constantly over/under by more than that, you might as well change your goal higher or lower.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Nope.... but I would definitely talk with your PCP or other specialty physician to make sure this is ok for you to do.... Its not smart to do it the way you are willing to do it without medical advisement
  • andrewsmommy13
    andrewsmommy13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry I eat. I'm most definitely not starving myself. Just coming shy of my daily caloric intake by a couple hundred calories.
  • cramernh
    Options
    When I'm hungry I eat. I'm most definitely not starving myself. Just coming shy of my daily caloric intake by a couple hundred calories.

Couple hundred... yeah.... you should consult a medical professional to make sure this is ok for you and your individual health....
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goal. I shoot for 100 below to 200 over. If I'm too far under I have a handful of nuts, tbsp yogurt or something quick and easy to make it up.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    It seems to be that the people who lose the most on here are the ones who eat the most.....! Take a look at other postings and you will read how many people weren't losing weight until they upped their calorie intake...
  • callmecaptain
    Options
    What are yall's thoughts on staying being below your recommended calorie goal?

You really can't get a good answer on this without someone knowing how what you are trying to do and what your physical level is. Everyone is different....

Message me if you want to go over numbers in private and I could probably give you a better answer :smile:
  • schroeder4
    schroeder4 Posts: 14
    Options
    yes, what if you aren't that hungry?
  • depends on what its set at for you, if its the mfp setting then yea not good, as i have found mfp usually sets your goals really really low!

If you set it yourself by calculating your bmr and using the right BMR multiplier for daily activity level, and your still like 200 cals shy of meeting it its fine, usually people tend to overestimate their daily calorie intake needed.

Besides the two listed above, if you are consistently eating with a deficit of 300+ every single day apart from amount you set for yourself then yes, you should look into eating something more calorie dense foods to help you hit those targets. Usually calorie dense foods tend to taste pretty damn good too!

And again all of the above is on the assumption that you have no metabolic disorders or any health conditions that might otherwise impair/increase/decrease your BMR in any way whatsoever.

Hope that helped :D
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

In the same way that if you're never thirsty you're Really dehydrated, hunger isn't always a great way to know if you need food (I refer to real food with real nutrition not just filler foods). Sometimes it's hard to know what hunger even feels like. If my tummy is growling but I'm tired and cranky with a bit of a headache I need food. You're fueling your day.
  • callmecaptain
    Options

If you aren't hungry, don't eat but if you are building muscle at any size you will get hungry. Losing weight is not just about getting skinny it's about getting healthy
  • callmecaptain
    Options

In the same way that if you're never thirsty you're Really dehydrated, hunger isn't always a great way to know if you need food (I refer to real food with real nutrition not just filler foods). Sometimes it's hard to know what hunger even feels like. If my tummy is growling but I'm tired and cranky with a bit of a headache I need food. You're fueling your day.

Agree also
  • MarkLee0901
    MarkLee0901 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Same here. I eat 6 times a day and I am still coming in a few hundred calories below my goal. I stopped drinking so much coffee after finding out I was getting 800 calories per day from it and now I'm finding it hard to reach my calorie goal. I assumed this would result in more weight loss. I always thought less better.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    How can someone eat 6 times a day and still come in so much under their dailt allowance!!!! If I do no exercise I really struggle to stay within my limit
  • Can you quantify hunger?? Nope, its not like your body tells you in any way shape or form that your hungry for 500 calories or 1000 calories are missing and it needs it. There might be symptoms of hunger but you can't really say they are symptoms cuz they can also occur as symptoms for other issues.

Not eating at consistent times throws off your diurnal pattern for releasing leptin(i believe that is the correct corresponding pattern for leptin correct me if i am wrong). Leptin is basically a "hey guy/gal im full" signal to the brain, among other various things that it does.----> Summary, if you eat at inconsistent times your "appetite" is thrown off course, causing you to "not feel hungry". Again that is just a feeling and you really can't quantify it.

Long story short, eat, and eat until your filled to the gizzards! haha jk, but seriously....eat :D
  • andrewsmommy13
    Options
    Ok guys thank you for your responses! This does help some!
  • MarkLee0901
    MarkLee0901 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I included snacks. I only eat meat once for dinner. and nothing is cooked in oil(George Forman gill). I just starting back and I haven't yet purchased protein although it wont add much.
  • cramernh
    Options
    I included snacks. I only eat meat once for dinner. and nothing is cooked in oil(George Forman gill). I just starting back and I haven't yet purchased protein although it wont add much.

Isnt that grill awesome?

Thick sliced summer squash and zucchini - grill marks and all.... just awesome! Even does shrimp up nicely as well!
  • bulldoggirl06
    Options
    As for me, I try and stay within 10-15 cal + or -. I have noticed that if I eat too little of calories then my body goes into starvation mode and burns both fat and muscle. I would suggest to not be afraid of going over your calorie goal (but not a whole lot). You will find that your body will respond the best when you do that rather than starving yourself.
  • andrewsmommy13
    Options
    I just read skinnylion's post about Why You Should Eat More and I think it answered my question pretty well. I am learning a lot these days...hmm.